The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by shoefreak77

Fighting the urge to go buy the only 5dmiii body at Best Buy in Ohio
Really want it, not sure I can justify the purchase tho......
Damn!
-sf77

what an interesting couple of days....
decided to take the plunge on the 5DMIII, and decided to order from Best Buy...
Went online and found that the body only version was available for In Store pickup only (no shipping available)
Found that only 1 Best Buy store in Ohio had 1 in-stock...when i called and spoke to someone at the customer service counter to confirm, they were surprised that they even had it....they went pulled it, and offered to put it on hold for me.....I agreed to the hold, as this Best Buy was 1.5 hours from me....they agreed to hold until EOB today (sat), even though there policy was to only hold until the close of business the same day the hold was placed.
while talking with them, i also got them to extend the 18 mo "no interest financing" to 24 mo!

So fast forward to this AM...I call the store to make sure they still had the camera on hold, speak with someone completely different, explained that the hold had been placed on the $3499 camera...she immediately says, "yeah i heard about this, and unfortunately, we had a BestBuy.com order come through, and had to sell it this AM"

Wowzers....now I'm pretty upset, as you can imagine (remember, only "body only" version in the state of OH)

So I remember that the customer service rep from yesterday was working directly with the general manager of the store on the extended "hold" and additional 6 months financing...and ask the poor girl on the phone to have the general manager call me when he comes into work today...

GM calls me, apologizes, explained that the "hold" didn't remove the item from their online inventory, and that unfortunately it was purchased and picked up this am....

I explain that I am upset, and very disappointed...he said he figured I would be, so he had been looking at his options...said that he couldn't even order a replacement camera body, as there is absolutely no stock available (
confused.gif
?)
then he says, i can get you the body + kit lens ordered today, and to make it up to you, we will split the difference in price with you....4299 - 3499 = 800/2 =$400!!!

So i got the 5DMIII + 24-105 kit for $3900...i will take it!
They took my info over the phone, ordered the camera, and offered to have it shipped directly to me, rather than having me drive 1.5 hrs to the store...

I know BB gets a bad rep...and I have been on the receiving end before...but the 3 people i dealt with on this purchase made the right choices and treated me like a valued customer. 

now i just have to sit back and hope this thing comes sooner rather than later!

(sorry for the long story)

gs! man.. There are some good managers left in the company that will come thru for a customer. There should be plenty of margin in 5Diii which gave them room to wiggle on the price. I know the accidental damage coverage is grip for a $3500 camera, but if I were you, I would get it, trust. 

nice man! the 5Diii is my dream camera but don't have the cash or enough justification for such a purchase unfortunately. I hope to get the 5Dmkii sooner down the line though as prices seem to be dropping on them with the release of the 5D3.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

Originally Posted by presequel

Originally Posted by bjamez20

About to pull the trigger on a DSLR. I've had my eye on one for years now but I can finally justify getting one.Main uses for my camera:tongue:hotographing prototypes and models for my portfolio-shooting video for fun-taking shots of my dog-the occasional sight seeingI've decided on a Canon Rebel T3i and I'm trying to decide on which lens to go with. Can someone school me on some good lenses for my uses, or if I should just go with the kit lens. Or even just pont me to a good camera equipment site. Don't need anything too serious though until I see if I stick with it. I've heard good things about the nifty 50 lens? Thanks in advance.
http://www.amazon.com/Can...ns-Cameras/dp/B000EW8074
If you could only have one lens for that camera to cover most needs, this would probably be it.

The nifty fifty is a much cheaper alternative, but is a fixed prime lens, but 1.8. About $100. If you're just looking to mess around and get used to things, most would recommend this as a starter lens. I wouldn't really waste money on the kit lens.

Definitely going to pick that lens up later on, I've read some reviews and watched some videos and the pictures it produces are amazing, but it's price is waaaay outta my budget.

going to try to hold off for the t4i instead of the t3i...hopefully it comes out in the next couple weeks cause I've gotta pull the trigger by may. Have the incase sling in the mail too. I'm gonna stick with the 18-55 lens to start then get the 17-55 if I stick with it...or get a better job
laugh.gif

Another alternative to the 17-55 is the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 -  Focally pretty much the same range, and optically on par with the 17-55. Depending on your source or who you ask, in some cases its been said to outperform the 17-55. Regardless, the bigger advantage here is that it is cheaper and sells for about $650 brand new.

I own the Sigma 17-50 and haven't looked back.

new orleans. took this lil guy with me:

^fujifilm x100. dope little cam. very compact/light/unassuming. love it. 99.9% of the time i hate carrying my dslr around the city jus cuz of size/weight/attention.

I almost thought this was a late April fools joke but this is real. Kind of want to try this out.

timthumb.php

http://www.usa.canon.com/...ras/slr_cameras/eos_60da
http://www.canonrumors.co...da-for-astrophotography/

NEW CANON EOS 60Da DSLR CAMERA FOR ASTRONOMY ENTHUSIASTS CAPTURES THE TRUE COLORS OF THE COSMOS
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., April 3, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced the EOS 60Da Digital SLR Camera, a long-awaited successor to the EOS 20Da that is optimized for astrophotography. This DSLR caters to astronomers and hobbyists who enjoy capturing the beauty of the night sky by offering a modified infrared filter and a low-noise sensor with heightened hydrogen-alpha sensitivity. These modifications allow the camera to capture magnificent photographs of “red hydrogen emission

sorry in advance for the crappy iPhone pics, but thought someone might want to see a few actual pics of the sling pack

-sf77

got my sling pack today too. pretty happy with it, now i just need a damn camera to put in it
laugh.gif

finally ordered my camera.

got a t3i with the 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm lens and 50mm prime for $920. amazon's throwing in a "wide angle lens" and "2x telephoto zoom lens" too, but i doubt those will be even somewhat decent.

great pictures in here guys, hope to post some of my work soon
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom