The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I went to Prague right around 2006 as well... Might have been 07 actually.

I came in here though to ask what would be a good Camera package for around $800... What suggestions do yall have? I do have some experience with DSLR's but I'm not a pro yet.

Gotta get this on the next page...

Any help?

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I went to Prague right around 2006 as well... Might have been 07 actually.

I came in here though to ask what would be a good Camera package for around $800... What suggestions do yall have? I do have some experience with DSLR's but I'm not a pro yet.

Gotta get this on the next page...

Any help?
Maybe the Canon T2i or T3i w/ Kit lens would be a good fit for you

I second that opinion speaking strictly as a Canon shooter. I would say add a 50mm f/1.8 as your budget allows it, and you're good to go for a starter kit.

Originally Posted by airjzz

^ I don't think the lenses really compare. The 24-105 f/4L is more an all arounder, type lens; whereas the 85mm is more a medium telephoto - portraiture type lens. I own the 85mm and personally I love it. Many people say it's basically an L lens minus the red ring. The focal length, especially on a crop body, you will be using it outside more often than not. If you have other lens to meet your needs at other focal lengths, I think you'd be happy with the purchase.

I can't speak on the 24-105 too much, but I can't imagine why it also wouldnt be a great lens if you are ok with the speed.

Thanks for the input.  I guess I worded my question wrong.  I was looking more for input and reviews on both lenses as I'd be looking to pick up both eventually.  I'll probably go ahead and pick up the 85mm as I've heard the same things you've said about it.

If I was looking to upgrade all my lenses, these are the 3 I would be looking to get:

85mm for portraits
24-105 for all around stuff like you said
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM for just about everything else

Are these all pretty good choices in regards to what the purposes they'll serve or are there better lenses maybe?  And are there any other lenses I should look at picking up?  I see some nice photos using a fish eye lens in here, but I don't know if I'd ever really utilize that.

I don't do anything professionally, but I do alot of stuff for family as far as portraits, birthday party shots and smaller weddings for extended family which I'm not equipped for right now.

I have the 24-70 f2.8 L and it is considered one of the better L lenses that canon makes. I like it and think it has perfect balance, only downside is that it is heavy!
I have a brand new 24-105 f4 L that came with my 5DMIII that i am on the fence about even taking out of the box vs. selling....
While agonizing over whether to keep or sell, i have done some research and most people have given the 24-105 good reviews as a "walk around lens."
Primes are great, but serve a specific purposes / shooters. I think it depends on the type of shooter you are...do you want to stand in one spot and get most of your shots, do you want to move around alot (required for primes) to get the best shot....indoor / outdoor (how much light will you typically be working with)
hope this helps
sf77

I'd rather get the prime. I think they just have a better quality. An 85mm is good if you plan on doing some work but as a walk around, it can be tough. If I am in the shooting mode, I bring every lens I have which is the fisheye for wide, the 35mm for close and my kit lens for everything else. It has worked good so far and Incase bag makes grabbing them that much easier.

Originally Posted by mikejs210

You have the MIII?!? Man, how much did you drop on it?

If you want to see the 24-105, let me know as I'll be in the market for it.

I'm pretty much just trying to build up my lenses before I jump to full frame.

I'm still working with a T1i
frown.gif
it really was an impulse buy...i had been wanting a MII, but had been waiting about a year hoping something new would come out....when i saw it available, i jumped on it.
I got a good deal (posted earlier in this thread)
it really is more camera than I can handle, but I am enjoying it thus far...i am by no means a professional, and I surely do not get paid for my photography skills.  i plan to make sure my enjoyment = my investment for sure.
I guess i need to post some "pick-up" pics!
still undecided about the 24-105...i will def let you know once I finalize my decision.
-sf77

Lol.  I just read your pick up story.  It's great how that worked out for you!  Best Buy can come through on some occasions.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some of your work with it.  

Originally Posted by airjzz

I second that opinion speaking strictly as a Canon shooter. I would say add a 50mm f/1.8 as your budget allows it, and you're good to go for a starter kit.

I third tht opinion. Picked up a t3I the other day with a 50mm lens and the kit lens and I'm loving it so far.

Got mine from amazon for 750 with jut lens, then 110 for the 50mm. Keep an eye on amazon because the price fluctuates. But I'd wait until Monday, they're supposed to announce the t4i.

Here's a couple shots I took while playing around with the focus on the 50mm. Couldn't decide which part of the jeans to focus on...and had a hard time getting the colors to look right, my lighting sucks. I think the top one came out better though.

Levi's 501's by bjamez20, on Flickr

Levi's 501's by bjamez20, on Flickr

And in case anyone missed the dogs underwater thread earlier: http://niketalk.com/topic...otographers---peep--pics

^
I think the swivel screen is worth it. Makes it was easier to take low angle/high angle shots. I didn't think I'd ever use it but I find myself using it all the time. Also nice if you ever take pictures of yourself.

Hey there everyone, I recently thought about purchasing a Polaroid type of camera just for fun. Can anyone recommend me any types of models? I'm not trying to splurge, I will mostl likely pick one off of ebay. I did a bit of research and was leaning towards the Polaroid 300 instant. Any other suggestions?

thinking of picking up a d5100 soon.

anyone have it or have any opinions?

the reason im choosing it because of its small form factor and the price

I have a question. What aperture do most of yall should at when your are trying to get two people in focus. Im shooting with a 35mm 1.8 btw

Originally Posted by tedrjr03

I have a question. What aperture do most of yall should at when your are trying to get two people in focus. Im shooting with a 35mm 1.8 btw

I think 2.8 is a pretty consistent aperture. I find the 1.8 doesn't always focus right on a group of people most of the time.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I think 2.8 is a pretty consistent aperture. I find the 1.8 doesn't always focus right on a group of people most of the time.
Ok thanks. I was shooting at 1.8 yesterday and i would only get one person in focus and the other one would sort of blurry. I didn't want to raise the aperture too high and not be able to blur out the background anymore.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Ok thanks. I was shooting at 1.8 yesterday and i would only get one person in focus and the other one would sort of blurry. I didn't want to raise the aperture too high and not be able to blur out the background anymore.

Your DOF is also effected by your distance to your subject as well as the focal length and F-stop.

For example, shooting a 35mm at F2.8 at 5ft away has a DOF of 6 inches.
Shooting the same at 15ft away expands your DOF to 6.5ft.

Also, shooting wide open like at f1.8 is probably not going to be at the lens sharpest aperture. You're going to get a clearer picture stopped down some. I recommend taking a bunch of pictures at different apertures and looking at them at 100% and you'll find where your lens shoots best at.

Back
Top Bottom