The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Fong, all your pictures are instantly better just cause you're shooting Canon now. Heh. :smokin

^^^Very nice. You really utilize that cheap(er) fisheye well.

Fong, all your pictures are instantly better just cause you're shooting Canon now. Heh. :smokin

Haha. Honestly if I had the money, I wish I could have still got the D800 over the Mark 2 or even the Mark 3. I actually just like Nikons more for some reason but I have to stick to Canon for a while now.

^ Why'd you have to switch to Canon?

Wanted to get tough with the big boys and jump into getting a full frame camera. With the Canon 6D and the Nikon D600 coming into the market, I waited to see if those were any better to get since they were supposed to be the "cheaper full frames". I remember hearing that the Nikon D600 was going to be like $1700-1800 for the body but when it came out, it was $2100 instead and that was the ball breaker. Then around the same time or a month after that release, Canon had a instant rebate for the Mark 2 body and it sold for $1800 and I jumped on it since they said the instant rebate would only last for a month. I think it is still going on right now.

I am still happy with my purchase since money is an issue for me. The Mark 2 is/was the flagship entry level professional camera and holds its own even after being out for so long. Again, if i had all the money in the world, I would have gotten the D800 and the 14-24 lens but that would have set me back almost $4500 where as my setup is about $3200.

Nt Fam,
I'm in the market for a nice 50mm lens that has great value. I currently have a 28mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8. The 28mm was my 50 when i was working with a cropped sens camera. Now that i upgraded to a FF, the 28 is just too wide for a walk-around lens.
I looked at the zeiss 50 1.4 and i'm intrigued by the color rendering. I don't mind the Manual focus as i would primarily use this lens for video work and i'm sure i'll adjust to the mf.
So i'm totally debating between the canon 50 1.4 and the zeiss.
Anyone have advice or comments about their experiences with any 50mm lens they played with?
Thanks.

Do your research on the zeiss. I was looking into it earlier and I believe I saw that the zeiss for canon was actually made by some other third party manufacturer (not actually zeiss) and was not that good of quality. I am not positive but be sure to research it.

SF 12.27.12 by hodrick., on Flickr

SF 12.27.12-2 by hodrick., on Flickr

SF 12.27.12-4 by hodrick., on Flickr

SF 12.27.12-5 by hodrick., on Flickr

SF 12.27.12-6 by hodrick., on Flickr

finished up this video recently

also my relatively new photography tumblr: http://seanhodrick.tumblr.com/

Last edited:
Right on man.

I won't be going to Walgreens anymore...

I'm definitely going to look into a photo lab. Whatever price I pay, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I use whcc.com try them out they give you like 4 or 5 8x10 test prints and samples of all of their paper.

Hey fellas,

I'm just curious to know how much you guys have spent on your camera set up so far, and if you have made any money from the shots/services? Be it selling the copyrights to the photos you took or providing your photography service to an event.

I tried to get into photography back in 2005 or so by shelling out the $700 for a DSLR, only to find out lenses cost 100+% of that :lol:

Hey fellas,
I'm just curious to know how much you guys have spent on your camera set up so far, and if you have made any money from the shots/services? Be it selling the copyrights to the photos you took or providing your photography service to an event.
I tried to get into photography back in 2005 or so by shelling out the $700 for a DSLR, only to find out lenses cost 100+% of that :lol:

Photography is definitely an expensive hobby. Part of the reason I sold my 60D was because I knew I'd end up spending a fortune on L lenses. Can't have that temptation around :lol:

Guys need some help, I'm leaning towards the Nikon V1 as they are $300. I'm looking for something portable and not too much of a burden to carry around. This will be my first camera.

Got $200 in amazon giftcards and was looking to get a prime lens.

Looking for opinions out of these 3

canon 1.8 50mm $100 cheap and will have $100 extra

canon 2.8 40mm $150 compact pancake but lose a couple f stops

canon 1.4 50mm $300 have to put up some personal cash but gets lower

opinions?

Last edited:
^
Is your camera full frame or crop? If crop, personally I'd go for the 40. I had a 50 1.8 on my crop and it was a little too tight for most of my uses. Really depends what you're trying to do with it though.

Hey fellas,

dont judge me, im somewhere between 15-20k.....:x

dont judge me, im somewhere between 15-20k.....:x
How long did it took you to get to that point, dude?

A couple of dudes I talk to are over $10k+ too and they're amateurs!

yallayalla: what concert are the pictures from?

roughly about 4 years.....i dont even consider myself a pro....thats why i get annoyed when people throw the word "pro" around so loosely.

Back
Top Bottom