The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Still working on this one but I'm not sure on what to do when it comes to landscape photography since all I ever post in here is cars :lol: Thoughts/suggestions?

Brought the temp up a bit as well as the vibrance and clarity. I feel like this shot has a lot of potential I just need to figure out how to bring out the colors.

Definitely going to want to have go at least f/8 or so. Make sure everything is in focus. Tripod is a must.

^I can't remember what the fstop was but I'll keep that in mind for next time. Was shooting with my friends T3i 75-200mm and I've never shot with canon before so I wasn't sure how to go about things. I was trying to hurry and get the shot in since the sun was setting lol.

Right on for the suggestions tokes99 tokes99 . The first shot that you posted in super clean I'll try and do something like that next time.

Fong...

I think you could've done better with all those pics.

The substance is there... on most of them... but none of them pop.

They look quite bland... maybe a different approach to the PP will truly display the beauty of this place.

Fong...

They look quite bland... maybe a different approach to the PP will truly display the beauty of this place.

I'd be lying if I said I don't doctor my photos to look faker than what I actually see in person but for some reason I just feel like processing them in that fashion would just be lying to what I experienced. The fact of the matter is, Iceland at this time of the year is a pretty bland. I know there are pics of it being really green but I went during their end of winter time I believe. And my photos as is are already doctored to the point where it is pretty saturated than what it looks originally. If I post process them how Steezy did, it would just look unreal.

Here is some of the rest.

iceland-12a.jpg
iceland-25a.jpg
iceland-13b.jpg
iceland-30.jpg
iceland-33a.jpg
iceland-20b.jpg
iceland-24.jpg
iceland-21.jpg
iceland-9b.jpg
iceland-19.jpg
iceland-26.jpg
iceland-29.jpg
iceland-17.jpg
iceland-16.jpg
iceland-28.png

Just purchased a Nikon 1 j1 with a 10-30mm and 30-100mm. It was $200 so I said why the hell not. I was in the market for a camcorder and wanted an upgrade from my camera phone so I pulled the trigger on the Nikon.
Im new to digital photography and im slowly beginning to understand a few terms (youtube).
Are there any resources for beginners you guys can direct me to? Also, any recommendations on hardware?

Thanks in advance

Fong...

I'd be lying if I said I don't doctor my photos to look faker than what I actually see in person but for some reason I just feel like processing them in that fashion would just be lying to what I experienced. The fact of the matter is, Iceland at this time of the year is a pretty bland. I know there are pics of it being really green but I went during their end of winter time I believe. And my photos as is are already doctored to the point where it is pretty saturated than what it looks originally. If I post process them how Steezy did, it would just look unreal.

understand that perspective, but when you really think about it the act of taking a photo is kinda unreal; its all a lil' fake...it's up to the individual behind the lens to imbue with that thing that makes a picture feel "real"...that being said 'real' is a something of a subjective term, so i don't know if that is a worthwhile goal in & of itself; i think ultimately you want people looking at the photo to appreciate it on a greater level than an accurate representation of reality or a technically well done photograph (unless those are the intentions), but also some sort of emotion or story the viewer will bring to or get from the image.

random from the summer:

^^^^No...I totallly agree but also disagree at the same time. I do agree that it is subjective which is why I think it is interesting how I am getting two totally different opinions on this photos set. I post on another forum where I think I am one of the few that actually shoot digital. Most of the time when I post stuff, they hate the fact that my colors are always so overboard and have that "digital look" as apposed to it being more like film. This time I am getting pretty decent appraisal on there where as on here, I am getting more criticism when normally it is vice versa. Again...I don't doubt there is something wrong with my photos but in trying to tell this story of the trip, I feel like it should be more of an accurate one than a suspended one. I mean I have some pics of food and hate to make it better than what it looked when I want to portray it as something I actually hate (had whale meat and it sucked!). But I do here you and maybe that is something I will take note when I am out shooting again.

Fong you must'nt be afraid of post processing, does a bride want to see a raw file of her face on her wedding day?...nope!...she wants to see the most beautiful interpretation of her through your photos...all these landscape photographers are no exception, they rely heavy on PP...they are your shots your vision, but some (not all) you could do them sooooo much more justice, by just pushing your limits...who cares what they looked like in reality...you are an artist!... Not a photocopy bro..

Anyways, I revamped my personal IG and began to post more of my lifestyle/wedding work, like it soooo much better! If any if you are interested, hit the follow button bros

www.insragram.com/ksteezy_nt

The harsh light and shadows, AVOID THEM...try shooting in the shade next time or later in the evening when the sun is not so high up

^^^^No...I totallly agree but also disagree at the same time. I do agree that it is subjective which is why I think it is interesting how I am getting two totally different opinions on this photos set. I post on another forum where I think I am one of the few that actually shoot digital. Most of the time when I post stuff, they hate the fact that my colors are always so overboard and have that "digital look" as apposed to it being more like film. This time I am getting pretty decent appraisal on there where as on here, I am getting more criticism when normally it is vice versa. Again...I don't doubt there is something wrong with my photos but in trying to tell this story of the trip, I feel like it should be more of an accurate one than a suspended one. I mean I have some pics of food and hate to make it better than what it looked when I want to portray it as something I actually hate (had whale meat and it sucked!). But I do here you and maybe that is something I will take note when I am out shooting again.

for the record, i don't really agree with the criticism(s)...I was thinking more about your philosophical question of 'realism' in photography, generally. ever since i've become interested in 'serious' picture taking, i've learned there are many camps (street vs. studio, canon vs. Nikon, dslr vs. point&shoot vs. cameraphones, black & white vs. color, film vs. digital, etc.) that people sit in and defend...they're just tools, what matters most is how you use them, no?

Last edited:
^^^Yeah, it' a crazy crowd out there and it's something I want to all take in but sometimes I am not even sure who is right in certain situations. These loyal film guys are just brutal sometimes and I always take it as a grain of salt but there would be times I just want to yell back. Just cause you shoot a photo in film, doesn't mean its that much more powerful than digital but these guys will fight me tooth in nail saying their blurry shots are better than my clear ones. Go figure on that I guess. Anyways....it's all just interesting conversation if any.

Point and Shoot.

BTW, if anyone is interested, a buddy of mine wants to unload some of his gear. he's got a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Mark I and a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 Mark I. Both are pretty much MINT, wants 1200 for the 70-200 and 1000 for the 24-70. PM me if you guys are interested and I can connect you two.

Back
Top Bottom