The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^Great shots everyone! I really like the first shot with the bike DLfotos.

Planning on cloning out all the cars in the back replacing them with the ground and walls. Will take a crap load of time since I'm no expert at using the clone tool.

Last edited:

Planning on cloning out all the cars in the back replacing them with the ground and walls. Will take a crap load of time since I'm no expert at using the clone tool.

if you can pull it off that will be pretty sweet, that space is cool!

^ How was going up the railroad track up to Koko's head? Dangerous?

im gonna be in Oahu in a month and im excited to shoot on the island.

Can anyone give me guidance if it's worth purchasing a nikon 50mm f/1.8 af-s or just the AF? I've been offering locals 150 for the af-s and seeing the af priced at 100...if I'm shooting manual and constantly focusing the images myself, I'm guessing I should just stick with the AF and call it a day?

^ How was going up the railroad track up to Koko's head? Dangerous?

im gonna be in Oahu in a month and im excited to shoot on the island.

It was a great hike, the beginning was coo, but once you get almost to the top there are some railroads that are pretty dangerous aka fall and get hurt. But overall I think it was worth it getting to the top. I'm sure you'll get some great shots at the island :pimp:

if you can pull it off that will be pretty sweet, that space is cool!

When I saw the backdrop I knew it would be sick. I got some pretty dope shots just need to clone some stuff out. I was planning on adding some smoke to it like the picture below just to see how it looks but I need to figure out how to do it first. lol

[COLOR=#red]Sony stays innovating...the new A7S Full Frame Mirrorless camera with 4k video, an ULTRA sensitive 12MP sensor that goes all the way up to 400,000+ ISO for ultra low light shooting. Vid guys are going nuts over this cam.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Sony stays innovating...the new A7S Full Frame Mirrorless camera with 4k video, an ULTRA sensitive 12MP sensor that goes all the way up to 400,000+ ISO for ultra low light shooting. Vid guys are going nuts over this cam.[/COLOR]

That is pretty sick but shooting in absolute darkness like that is not often but at least you have the ability to do it. It's damn near shooting with night vision on without the green.

Wow! If I didn't know I would have said they were shooting when the sun was about to rise when the iso reached over 100K

[COLOR=#red]Yeah Fong and yanky...it's a niche product for indie filmmakers but interesting nonetheless. For photography the A7 and A7R are a better fit.

My question to you guys are how do you feel about high-end Mirrorless cameras? When my DSLR-like A57 got stolen I looked at the Nikon 7100 to replace it, but since I was heading on a 6 week mountain excursion I figured I'd try a smaller yet still capable cam. I noticed a few of the rich guys on my trip brought their expensive DSLRs and lenses but ended up using their camera phones more because it was bothersome climbing with the bigger cameras. I just had my smaller camera strapped to my side and was able to take with it. I still respect the raw power of DSLRs but I like the convenience of the Mirrorless. My grail is the A7.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
^^^^^I am fine with them but also know all cameras are personal preferences. One camera might be golden to one and to another, it might just be meh. I do agree on the camera gear situation but again, it all depends on if that is an inconvenience. I now carry 2 L lenses and a Mark 3 and honestly it is sort of a pain but not to the point where I want to get a mirrorless. In retrospect I look at my old Nikon D90 with fisheye and realize I shot way more with that camera partially cause it was easier to carry and partially cause I didn't care about getting the best photos ever and could even shoot at the hip and be fine with whatever I got. Now I take things a little more serious with carrying a damn bag, tripod and extra lenses but wouldn't mind being more carefree in the future.

This new technology is interesting though. I just can't buy every damn camera out there. Haha.

[COLOR=#red]Haha yeah you are so correct...can't go jumping at every new "innovation" out there.

I was telling a friend that for professional photographers and serious enthusiasts who have clients, the DSLR and accompanying equipment comes off as more professional. It may not look as good to a client using a smaller more or less no matter how capable it is...sometimes it's all about perception.[/COLOR]

That is pretty sick but shooting in absolute darkness like that is not often but at least you have the ability to do it. It's damn near shooting with night vision on without the green.

definitely impressive, but i think the high iso thing is a bit of a gimmick...the way i understand it, it would be rare that you'd need to shoot in such conditions and there are a bunch of caveats...the issue most have with sony is that they seem to be like a kid with adhd, they're into so many things that they can't seem to focus on one; can't question their know how, they make sensors for just about everybody...it should be interesting to see what people do with those cameras though

[COLOR=#red]Yeah Fong and yanky...it's a niche product for indie filmmakers but interesting nonetheless. For photography the A7 and A7R are a better fit.

My question to you guys are how do you feel about high-end Mirrorless cameras? When my DSLR-like A57 got stolen I looked at the Nikon 7100 to replace it, but since I was heading on a 6 week mountain excursion I figured I'd try a smaller yet still capable cam. I noticed a few of the rich guys on my trip brought their expensive DSLRs and lenses but ended up using their camera phones more because it was bothersome climbing with the bigger cameras. I just had my smaller camera strapped to my side and was able to take with it. I still respect the raw power of DSLRs but I like the convenience of the Mirrorless. My grail is the A7.[/COLOR]

i LOVE mirrorless cameras...i really can't even imagine wanting to use a traditional dslr for the pictures i like to take...the gap is closing such that, unless you shoot a lot of action/sports, and/or want the shallowest depth of field, mirrorless would seem to be the best of both worlds: great image quality & small form factors (which tends to result in smaller lenses), the looking 'pro' with the big dslr thing is real though, there is the assumption that bigger always equals better, and to some extent that is true, but these drop off isn't that steep anymore, and there are so many benefits to smaller systems...

[COLOR=#red]Haha yeah you are so correct...can't go jumping at every new "innovation" out there.

I was telling a friend that for professional photographers and serious enthusiasts who have clients, the DSLR and accompanying equipment comes off as more professional. It may not look as good to a client using a smaller more or less no matter how capable it is...sometimes it's all about perception.[/COLOR]

Yeah, I've seen that actually. It's pretty stupid, but some customers really care about gear even when they know nothing about it. Just what they think "looks" good. It's dumb, really.

For my style of shooting now, I definitely prefer mirrorless for the portability and size/weight. I can't have a DSLR hanging around my shoulder while chasing a toddler around. I'd rather have a small mirrorless camera on my hip - with the Spider Black Widow holster. I had a D7100 for a few months, but I heard the Fuji X-T1 was coming out, I did everything I could to sell the D7100 with the quickness. I haven't looked back. The only reason why I'd ever go back to DSLR is for full-frame or sports/wildlife.

Back
Top Bottom