The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Last edited:
Question: How do you guys clean your glass? My filters and glasses always have residue on them.

Eyeglass cleaner + microfiber cloths don't cut it...It just still looks dirty. I have OCD
mean.gif

Also, what memory cards do you guys have? Is it a big deal? I doubt I'd do any videos with my Canon 6D, but it's not out of the question.

I'm looking at this memory card: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087560-REG/sandisk_sdsdxn_064g_g46_extreme_sdhc_uhs_1_u3.html
I use rubbing alcohol,  the higher the percentage, the better. Basically faster to dry up. I use q-tips, cotton balls, microfiber cloths, and rubbing alcohol. Q-tips plus rubbing alcohol for the read end of the lens like the metal parts and cotton balls with rubbing alcohol for the front glass and sometimes the rear glass. Won't ruin it, just dont do it a lot. Maybe every 3-6 months but i usually do this twice a year. Dry it up with the microfiber cloth. Theres video on youtube where I learned this. Basically not a lot of rubbing alcohol so it doesn't remove the thin layer of coating. the higher percentage, the better because it dries faster. Everything else I just use my mouth the fog up the lens and use the microfiber cloth to wipe in a circular motion, never up and down or left or right, always a circular motion because that's how the glass was made. 

As for the memory cards, I go with Sandisk. I current;y use a 64GB 120MB/s, 16GB 30MB/s, & an 8GB 30MB/s. As far as MB/s, Im' pretty patient, so it didn't matter to me about that, mainly what brand and how much GB's I needed. I've been using Sandisk for 5+ years and never once had an issue or problem. I always kept in mind that your memory card is just as valuable as your camera body and lens since it has your prized images. Hope this helps.

Question: How do you guys clean your glass? My filters and glasses always have residue on them.

Eyeglass cleaner + microfiber cloths don't cut it...It just still looks dirty. I have OCD :smh: .

Also, what memory cards do you guys have? Is it a big deal? I doubt I'd do any videos with my Canon 6D, but it's not out of the question.

I'm looking at this memory card: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087560-REG/sandisk_sdsdxn_064g_g46_extreme_sdhc_uhs_1_u3.html

I use rubbing alcohol,  the higher the percentage, the better. Basically faster to dry up. I use q-tips, cotton balls, microfiber cloths, and rubbing alcohol. Q-tips plus rubbing alcohol for the read end of the lens like the metal parts and cotton balls with rubbing alcohol for the front glass and sometimes the rear glass. Won't ruin it, just dont do it a lot. Maybe every 3-6 months but i usually do this twice a year. Dry it up with the microfiber cloth. Theres video on youtube where I learned this. Basically not a lot of rubbing alcohol so it doesn't remove the thin layer of coating. the higher percentage, the better because it dries faster. Everything else I just use my mouth the fog up the lens and use the microfiber cloth to wipe in a circular motion, never up and down or left or right, always a circular motion because that's how the glass was made. 

As for the memory cards, I go with Sandisk. I current;y use a 64GB 120MB/s, 16GB 30MB/s, & an 8GB 30MB/s. As far as MB/s, Im' pretty patient, so it didn't matter to me about that, mainly what brand and how much GB's I needed. I've been using Sandisk for 5+ years and never once had an issue or problem. I always kept in mind that your memory card is just as valuable as your camera body and lens since it has your prized images. Hope this helps.
Good stuff. I've used other brands, and I don't think there'd be an issue with sony, lexar, or other "big" names.

Interesting on the cleaning, I'll peep into it.

Ok, so for a long time I've wanted a travel camera that takes quality pictures.

I think I'm finally gonna sell the SL1 (not as portable, I mean I have the pancake lens for them but I hate not being able to zoom in)

So I'm thinking of getting the G16 because it was the only one I liked that didn't have that blurry looking crap to the pictures.

Anyone have one and wants to post some sample pics or let me know if they like it?

Also where do you guys get your prints? I'm talking like 13 x 19 and up I really wanna blow up this shot of my fiancé (it's not creepy alright I just really like the way the shot came out) and I want that not too glossy not too matte feel but everywhere I've ordered samples from is trying to blind me every time I turn the lights on.

I had no idea so much went into picking the right tripod for your camera needs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bsrn1205x_n_2204x_4_section_carbon_fiber.html
and
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822260-REG/Sirui_BSRK10_K_10x_Ball_Head.html

I've heard nothing but good things about sirui so I figured I would try them out. My main concerns were height and weight. What's your budget?

Why did you choose a CF tripod as opposed to aluminum? Are they more stable? I'm looking for a decent setup, really not trying to break the bank though. I'm leaning towards this right here:
Amazon product ASIN B002SXMRUI
Or possibly the AT 413 for some extra height, since I don't think I'd be using the centerpole. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to spend that much on JUST the legs, but I don't want to buy anything that'll break on me within the next couple years either.

As far as a ballhead, the one you posted seems like a relatively decent price, would you be able to shed some light on the performance of it?

Back
Top Bottom