The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

the flash essentially freezes the person in place for the duration of the flash, otherwise the person will be blurry due to little movements over the time of the exposure (the longer the exposure, the more pronounced the blurrier the person will be) i think you would need to set the flash for at the end of the exposure...

Right on for the reply. Would you happen to have any links/vids/tutorials online that shows how to do this?

edit: This is what I'm talking about/going for -

Fong, if you don't mind, how exactly did you get your friend in that shot while doing a long exposure?

"dont move".

:lol:

"dont move".

:lol:

Pretty much actually. I had the ISO higher than normal, so I don't think I ever exceeded 1 second. You can always stack photos if that is something you like doing. Shoot one photo of someone in frame with a high ISO and then a long exposure for the next one and just blend the two images together. But for something like the Golden Gate Bridge, it doesn't take long to get something exposed properly. The damn thing is pretty bright.

Definitely in color. However, I would recommend shooting black and white through camera and get a feel for B&W photos first since you're just starting out. But definitely in color and then edit in post once you get the hang of it.

Also, if you shoot RAW + JPEG, you can shoot black and white in camera and your RAW will still be in color.
Thanks for the insight...I'll try this out.

Beginner here. Which camera should I go for... Canon T5i or Nikon d3200? I can get the d3200 for 300$ or should I just wait for a better deal on the t5i? Thanks!

Beginner here. Which camera should I go for... Canon T5i or Nikon d3200? I can get the d3200 for 300$ or should I just wait for a better deal on the t5i? Thanks!

Nikon d3000 series is awesome for beginners and $300 is a great price if it comes with some kit lenses.

if you end up getting really into photography, you can always save up and upgrade your gear.. but if you buy really expensive gear and slowly drift away from it, you might regret it.

Appreciate it man, I'll try it out.

The key thing though is to make sure things are in focus. I forget what F-stop I was at but I doubt it was any higher than f/5.0 or so.

Also I have been using live view focusing a lot on landscape stuff. I find it helps when auto focus can be a hit or miss. Like the photo I took with trees and my girl on the log, I couldn't really shoot that hand held because the autofocus would never get her clear. So I had to break out the tripod and do live view focusing and it came out way better, even if you can' tell from my web photo. I am going to make a print of that, so I am sure it will show better there.

^^^^Damn, 10 stops down? How much did that run you? One thing I will say I hate with doing waterfalls is how the top of the photo is always blown out compared to the rest of the photo. Not sure if an ND filter will help with that or a gradient one but if you are making an effort to shoot that much, take one with the sky exposed properly so you can stack it in another photo if need to.

^^^^Damn, 10 stops down? How much did that run you? One thing I will say I hate with doing waterfalls is how the top of the photo is always blown out compared to the rest of the photo. Not sure if an ND filter will help with that or a gradient one but if you are making an effort to shoot that much, take one with the sky exposed properly so you can stack it in another photo if need to.
wasn't that much. i didn't ball out on a B&H one (yet) cause i don't know how much i'll really use it. But i went with one that had great reviews and is glass.  

i have a Circular polarizer, maybe that can help with the blown out sky problem if it happens

Alright my photog bro's.

I have a t2i, been rocking it for about 2 years, maybe 3. Really just shoot random stuff, mainly my son doing infant/toddler things, vacations and gym pictures (action shots).

Love the t2i but now I want a camera that has HD video capabilities. Should I jump on a t3i, t4i, t5i? Doesn't have to be Canon, but I'm familiar with it so I'm leaning towards it again. Any other recommendations are appreciated. Also, what do I do with the t2i?

Alright my photog bro's.

I have a t2i, been rocking it for about 2 years, maybe 3. Really just shoot random stuff, mainly my son doing infant/toddler things, vacations and gym pictures (action shots).

Love the t2i but now I want a camera that has HD video capabilities. Should I jump on a t3i, t4i, t5i? Doesn't have to be Canon, but I'm familiar with it so I'm leaning towards it again. Any other recommendations are appreciated. Also, what do I do with the t2i?

Depends on your budget. With children and action shots....you may need something with a fast shutter speed like a 7D, for video the 70D is really good. If money is an issue, Id say get the t4i or t5i

I would say to get a 70D.

I have a T2i as well and have been considering upgrading. I figured that moving from Rebel to Rebel would just be lateral movement.

Thats awesome, if anything the sky added a lot.....well done sir!
smokin.gif
I meant in terms of not enough clouds and overall haziness .....

the entire week was crystal clear and nice formation of clouds - so the colors would of have been more vibrant and probably filled the entire sky .. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom