The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

anybody developing film at home? i want to start doing that. i currently do it in class, but im in the photo 2 class and thats the last one so eventually i want to start doing it at home. what products do you reccomend?

basically i want a changing bag, film roll, tank and chemicals. any advice? i currently use the stainless steel tanks at schol, but im looking at the Patterson tanks currently.

I love shooting film. I'm shooting more film than I am digital.

Definitely get a changing back. Those things make life so much easier than having to completely black a room. You can watch TV while you load your reels haha.

As far as tanks go, I have booth the steel reel and Patterson tanks. Patterson tanks are cool, but I found they became too big after a while and leaked a lot if you didn't used the agitating rod. I also hated the plastic reels for 35mm. I found them frustrating to load. I ended up just keeping the Patterson soley for 120/220 since it seems it's much easier to load.

I'm glad I finally mad the switch to steel reels. Wow are they so much easier to load and work with. Granted, they leak a bit, but everything leaks. You'll find the method that minimizes leaks the most. Not all steel reels are the same! Get a HEWES. Tank can be pretty much whatever, but make sure you get a Hewes reel. Haven't used steel reel for medium format, but for 35mm, I definitely prefer them over the plastic ones. Plastic ones aren't bad, they just caused me more frustration lol

For C-41, I use the Tetenal/Unicolor powder kit. B&H doesn't ship it anymore, but you can get some over here. This is a link for 2-liter, but 1-liter should be enough. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/101241-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-2-Liter

It's extremely simple to do it at home! Make sure you get some film clips and some Photo Flo for your final rinse.

So i've decided to go with a Nikon D3300, this will be my starter camera and I am excited to learn. I found a pretty good deal at Costco for 599.

Nikon D3300 - Features: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm VR II and AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm Lens, 32GB SD Card, Camera Bag, WU-1A Adaptor, Nikon School Instructional DVD, 2 Year Extended Warranty on Camera Body Only

Does anyone know of a better price/combo deal ? Thank you guys.

dope! take 'em both! better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...good luck on the cruise
Agree, tropical places are infamously wet. I took both when I went i Kauai and I was glad I did. The water proof case GoPro has can help get dope shots if you do any excursions or anything.

So i've decided to go with a Nikon D3300, this will be my starter camera and I am excited to learn. I found a pretty good deal at Costco for 599.

Nikon D3300 - Features: AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm VR II and AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm Lens, 32GB SD Card, Camera Bag, WU-1A Adaptor, Nikon School Instructional DVD, 2 Year Extended Warranty on Camera Body Only

That's a pretty good price for so much included in the bundle. I picked up my Canon T4i 4 years ago for close to $1000. Similar set up with the 2 lens option, bag and SD card. DSLR's have become better priced lately for sure but that is still a great price honestly. 

I've been to Jamaica but only Montego Bay which I am sure is way safer than Kingston. I brought my sling bag and 2 lenses and it was fine. Only time I felt odd was leaving it on the beach where I was in the water. There are a lot of people trying to sell you stuff and I am sure would be down for the come up but for the most part aside from just that, Jamaica is safe. Definitely try and talk to tourist in taking you around. They might charge you a hike in regards to what you have to pay out there but it's still not that bad in US. I think we got a guy to take us to the caves, a town and even a trip to and from and it was like $135 or so for me and my girl. I recommend going to Booby Cay Island. It's a boat ride over to a small place and they have live lobster and they grill it there. I think we paid $20 for two.

I just got the refurb version of this same package, MINUS the SD Card and DVD. Cost me $394 total. If you don't mind refurb - which I did before I got it - then return that and get this. I hate buying anything used/refurb when it comes to electronics and big ticket items but honestly, this camera looks like it's gonna be great. No scratches or anything, everything looks brand new, and so far I've had no problems. Save you a little money for a starter camera, and if anything, you can sell the lens to make some of the money back 

I just got the refurb version of this same package, MINUS the SD Card and DVD. Cost me $394 total. If you don't mind refurb - which I did before I got it - then return that and get this. I hate buying anything used/refurb when it comes to electronics and big ticket items but honestly, this camera looks like it's gonna be great. No scratches or anything, everything looks brand new, and so far I've had no problems. Save you a little money for a starter camera, and if anything, you can sell the lens to make some of the money back 

Nice, Where did you buy?

Doing my first boudoir shoot this Saturday.

I've already gotten a lot of tips from a couple local pro photographers and through youtube.

Doesn't hurt to ask the NT brethren though!

Anyone here with experience in that area?

I'd love to hear your tips from your first hand experiences!

Thanks!
From my experience and knowledge. Early morning to afternoon with window and white sheets. Use a white/light color curtain or a white reflector to defuse the light. Most of the stuff like tips and tricks like you said is rom youtube or the internet. I usually see a bed, white sheets and the model with a darker color clothing to help balance it out. Hope this helps.

--

Recent work.

I also developed more 120 Film (Medium Format). Those i'll post soon. Here's how they turned out after developing them.

I also been vlogging more and it's a lot of fun.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9_8BJTCwZeh96WPX6YYsvw

More on my blog as always.

IG - @dunksrnice
http://www.dunksrnice.net/2016/03/s009-ep180.html

Last edited:
Not a great shoot but good enough considering. Like I said, I give so much props to people that do this stuff. Very stressful and this was just for a friend. I got a lot of bad photos and mostly during the ceremony which can't be redone. This was the more posed stuff.

jeff-1.png
jeff-2a.png
jeff-12.png
jeff-8.png
jeff-6.png
jeff-13.png

Fong you doubt yourself too much, you need to stop, your portrait work is solid, quite honestly better than most I've seen on this very thread.

Not a great shoot but good enough considering. Like I said, I give so much props to people that do this stuff. Very stressful and this was just for a friend. I got a lot of bad photos and mostly during the ceremony which can't be redone. This was the more posed stuff.

Dude these posted images are great.

Very clean and sharp! :pimp:

Fong you doubt yourself too much, you need to stop, your portrait work is solid, quite honestly better than most I've seen on this very thread.

Thanks man. I hope I don't come off as some guy that thinks he underachieves to get sympathy. I mean I am satisfied with what I got and of course my friend is happy but I am more venting on the frustrations of the shoot and just things that you encounter in the experience of it all. I do all of this stuff pro bono but if I did this for money, I would feel so compelled to get every damn good shot that I can and when I don't, it just really is frustrating as a personal thing more so than a client thing. I think there are just so many battles in getting good stuff in these situations whether it be the lighting, the clients and their moods, the scheduling of the shoot (they were late which only gave me an hour and a half of shooting) and so much more. I just feel I can be better than this but when it comes to the shoot, I always seem to either forget things or feel rushed. Also I never seem to get that one great shot that you see in wedding stuff and I feel that has to be there in some sort of degree. Anyways......again, just venting and I just don't want to come off as this guy that is getting sympathy. I just beat myself up for the most part.

Solid stuff in here all around. Just as an FYI if people cared, when I went to the NT summit in SF this past couple of months, I was told that the mods do monitor this thread and they told me this is one of the only posts that just comes of as super positive and supportive. Glad this posts never turns into the East vs West battles and other nonsense on NT. Let's keep it that way.

from the outside looking in i definitely agree, it isn't easy to direct people in a way that makes them both comfortable & agreeable in a smooth way...a co-worker recently asked me to help out with their wedding, for modest fee & a flight to the uk...couldn't see myself pulling it off for that very reason...to me seems both super stressful & not to mention a lot of responsibility/work if you are uninitiated to dealing with people in that authoritatively friendly way, its more than just being able to take a decent photo in such situations; i forreal #respecttheshooter

I keep forgetting I bought an adapter to put my 35mm Summicron ASPH onto my XT1. Liking this a lot beter than the Fuji 35mm f/1.4.

Some test photos.

GBRL2610.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL2659.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr
I like the B&W. Good sharpness and contrast. Do you use the 23mm f/1.4 as well? I have it for my x-t1, but it rarely goes on it. Was honestly looking for something wider like the 18mm. Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom