The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

nope i dont use the Sigma USB Dock, but thats the reason that im dropping my lens + body to their service centre, for them to calibrate the lens with my body,
tbh i dont think i will spend 50-60$ for a one time use of the dock. but if you have some focus problem with the lens, i think that dock is the only way to fix it.

Understandable... I've only had my lens a couple of weeks, and haven't had any issues. I do like the customization & the ability to update the firmware, that's more so my reason for getting the dock.

Last edited:
About sigma lenses,
I just bought the 35mm 1.4 Art last week and its kinda love and hate story

The love : SHARP, SO GOOD, FAST AF, you name it
Hate : inconsistent, not always giving the right picture, because the front focus/autofocus issues. but i drop them at sigma service centre today, and they say they will fix it soon. lets see how it comes out next week, will it be better or still the same
If its better then i think there is no hate for this lens :D
All love :D

Do you own the Sigma USB Dock? It's sitting in my Amazon cart now... I'll probably order it soon. Apparently, you don't want the lens without the dock.

Just looked up the dock.

Holy **** that's some crazy tech :lol:

I need to motivate myself or start looking for motivation to get back into taking pics. Like for me it comes and then it goes for a while and then it comes back...

:rolleyes

I need to motivate myself or start looking for motivation to get back into taking pics. Like for me it comes and then it goes for a while and then it comes back...

:rolleyes

I feel that... this thread, a few friends, & Facebook groups motivate/inspire me.

I went to the Air Force Academy graduation last week, where President Obama gave a speech. It was a really fun time. The thunderbirds performed their show after the ceremony. One of the thunderbird jets crashed after the show while returning to the AF base they were stationed at. Luckily, the pilot ejected safely and there were no injuries on the ground.

I've heard good things about the art lenses as well. But i'd rather just get the canon version of every art lens they offer.

I just cant justify the price sigma is asking for their art lenses. :wow:

The only prime I shoot right now is the canon 85mm 1.8 and I freaking love it. Got it under $300 at that :lol:

About sigma lenses,
I just bought the 35mm 1.4 Art last week and its kinda love and hate story

The love : SHARP, SO GOOD, FAST AF, you name it
Hate : inconsistent, not always giving the right picture, because the front focus/autofocus issues. but i drop them at sigma service centre today, and they say they will fix it soon. lets see how it comes out next week, will it be better or still the same
If its better then i think there is no hate for this lens :D
All love :D

That is beyond unacceptable for a $900 lens of their highest quality and supposedly pro level.

Especially for me, a canon shooter, it makes no sense to buy that over Canon's 35mm 1.4L for only 100 more brand new or even cheaper used :x :x ... shoot... to be honest, i just put my 24-70 2.8 @ 35mm and shoot there. 2.8 is PLENTY large enough aperture, especially on full frame @ 35mm.

On the nikon side theres the 35mm 1.8G for the FX mount and even better yet, for DX cameras theres the DX one.

I just cant fathom spending that much money on a brand new lens that is supposed to be their top tier glass and have it have inconsistencies :rofl:

Not to mention I don't really see myself needing f/1.4 @ 35mm.

Last edited:
That is beyond unacceptable for a $900 lens of their highest quality and supposedly pro level.

Especially for me, a canon shooter, it makes no sense to buy that over Canon's 35mm 1.4L for only 100 more brand new or even cheaper used :x :x ... shoot... to be honest, i just put my 24-70 2.8 @ 35mm and shoot there. 2.8 is PLENTY large enough aperture, especially on full frame @ 35mm.

On the nikon side theres the 35mm 1.8G for the FX mount and even better yet, for DX cameras theres the DX one.

I just cant fathom spending that much money on a brand new lens that is supposed to be their top tier glass and have it have inconsistencies :rofl:

Honestly, most would benefit from tuning/calibrating their lenses to their body, regardless of the manufacturer... people just don't do it.

Last edited:

Honestly, most would benefit from tuning/calibrating their lenses to their body, regardless of the manufacturer... people just don't do it.

I think that and user error does have a lot to do with it..... Lots of people want bokeh but not everyone knows how important achieving critical focus and not recomposing your image is.

I think a lot of people with "lens" issues are probably focus recomposing thus losing critical focus... womp womp

After a couple unimpressive experiences with Tamron lenses I decided to quit playing games with my money and just buy only Nikon glass and now Canon glass now that I am on the Canon system.

If i ever move to the sony system I'll probably only use Canon glass with the metabones adapter while I purchase over the G master sony lenses.... but thats really more of a wet dream for the tech lover in me than anything.

I dont make enough money to buy lenses I dont like and will replace w/ the better version.

My wife would kill me if I would have bought the $1300 tamron 24-70 and then deciding i want the canon 24-70 more :rofl:

I think that and user error does have a lot to do with it..... Lots of people want bokeh but not everyone knows how important achieving critical focus and not recomposing your image is.

I think a lot of people with "lens" issues are probably focus recomposing thus losing critical focus... womp womp

After a couple unimpressive experiences with Tamron lenses I decided to quit playing games with my money and just buy only Nikon glass and now Canon glass now that I am on the Canon system.

If i ever move to the sony system I'll probably only use Canon glass with the metabones adapter while I purchase over the G master sony lenses.... but thats really more of a wet dream for the tech lover in me than anything.

I dont make enough money to buy lenses I dont like and will replace w/ the better version.

My wife would kill me if I would have bought the $1300 tamron 24-70 and then deciding i want the canon 24-70 more :rofl:

I feel you and I agree! A lot of people use AF-A, letting the camera choose the focus point, rather than selecting it themselves (AF-S). Personally, I do tons of research before I buy ANY lens (or anything else for that matter). I was dead set on the Nikon 14-24mm, but as I read more, I bought the Tamron 15-30mm. I probably should have rented both, but I have no regrets on my purchase (thus far). It's all subjective though, lol. I'm happy with the 50mm art as well. I'm planning on buying FoCal to calibrate all of my lenses to my body and that Sigma dock as well.

I feel you and I agree! A lot of people use AF-A, letting the camera choose the focus point, rather than selecting it themselves (AF-S). Personally, I do tons of research before I buy ANY lens (or anything else for that matter). I was dead set on the Nikon 14-24mm, but as I read more, I bought the Tamron 15-30mm. I probably should have rented both, but I have no regrets on my purchase (thus far). It's all subjective though, lol. I'm happy with the 50mm art as well. I'm planning on buying FoCal to calibrate all of my lenses to my body and that Sigma dock as well.

The tamron 15-30 is probably my favorite tamron lens. I've have the opportunity to use it a couple times and its incredible.

I may even pick it above canons 16-35 f2.8 but not above their 11-24 f4.

The only lens I see myself getting wider than the 24-70 is canon's 8-15mm f4 L fisheye... and forsure nobody is messing with canon's fisheye. Nikon REALLY needs to update theirs :lol:

The tamron 15-30 is probably my favorite tamron lens. I've have the opportunity to use it a couple times and its incredible.

I may even pick it above canons 16-35 f2.8 but not above their 11-24 f4.

The only lens I see myself getting wider than the 24-70 is canon's 8-15mm f4 L fisheye... and forsure nobody is messing with canon's fisheye. Nikon REALLY needs to update theirs :lol:

I'm about to do lots of travelling, so I needed an ultra wide... I thought about the Nikon's 14mm, but from a composition standpoint, I preferred the zoom. Lol, I don't know anything about Canon's lenses. A lot of people like that Rokinon 12mm Fisheye though. I'd like a fisheye, but I don't know how much use I'd get out of it. It's currently dead last on my list. A super telephoto will probably be up next.

Agree! With spending $900 and not getting what we want straight outta box.

But i can forgive this lens if after sending them to sigma to recalibrate it with my body and it comes out with great AF, but if it still the same, i might sell it and save for the 35mm f1.4mark 2 or 24-70 f2.8

Its a waiting game for me right now to decide that this lens is really a great lens like all the reviewer says, or its the opposite

Lets see in a couple days/week

I hope for the best for this lens though

damn dragicon that last photo with the reflected jets in flight is super dope. and the gradient of the sky looks awesome!!! which lens did you use?

Do you own the Sigma USB Dock? It's sitting in my Amazon cart now... I'll probably order it soon. Apparently, you don't want the lens without the dock.

I've had a Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art with the dock before. I would say at $60, the dock is worth it. You can fine tune your focus and update firmware easily. Yes, if it has a problem and it's under warranty, you can send it out to Sigma. What about when you're out of warranty or you need that lens ASAP for a shoot? Sigma is the only one offering this type of product and I'd say it's worth it. Who knows, you might get a new body and then your Sigma focuses differently than with your last body. You can make a change instantly.

I really feel like their quality assurance should be better for those types of prices :lol:

I heard their 24-105 f/4 is outstanding

Jesus dragicon those shots are magical :wow: :pimp:

Thanks brotatos!

damn dragicon that last photo with the reflected jets in flight is super dope. and the gradient of the sky looks awesome!!! which lens did you use?

Thanks man, I used the 14-24 for the wide angle with the stadium, and the 80-400 for the others.

dragicon dragicon , bruhhhhh. That last shot :wow: :pimp:

Thanks broski!

I've got tons of pictures from years past that I haven't posted in here... maybe I will try to post once a week with some of the older stuff. I've been so busy as of late, I haven't gotten much shooting in.

going from nikon to canon what are your thoughts? do you like the change? i know they can both shoot great pictures, but from what i understand and see myself is that nikon has more dynamic range and the colors just pop well overall. i havent seen them as nice on canon when comparing. im asking because i went to canon due to doing video. im thinking about getting an 80d and focusing on video only and getting a nikon for photography. so if i go somewhere and its only photography i'll stick with the nikon, but if i plan on doing video and photography i'll go with canon.

just a thought though

^ seems like a waste to me, but that's just my opinion. Yeah, the d810 sensor is the pinnacle of dslr sensors out there these days. The high mp and fantastic dynamic range makes me feel there is no need to have anything else (might pick up a d500 for a second body though). I also have thousands of dollars of lenses in Nikon, and I can't imagine having to pay thousands more just to use a canon body for video (or vice versa) I would only get a second system if I feel like the current system cannot accomplish what I want to do.

going from nikon to canon what are your thoughts? do you like the change? i know they can both shoot great pictures, but from what i understand and see myself is that nikon has more dynamic range and the colors just pop well overall. i havent seen them as nice on canon when comparing. im asking because i went to canon due to doing video. im thinking about getting an 80d and focusing on video only and getting a nikon for photography. so if i go somewhere and its only photography i'll stick with the nikon, but if i plan on doing video and photography i'll go with canon.

just a thought though

sometimes it definitely makes more sense to have separate rigs for stills & video, #horsesforcourses as they say...but it prolly makes more sense to bias that choice to the thing you will do more in one camera that excels at that bias. So if video is the thing you need, canon would definitely seem to make more sense than nikon (as i think canon has more tools to support video), even sony (same sensors as nikon, so similar dynamic range) or a panasonic gh4 (if you don't mind the smaller m4/3rd) which are excellent for video and stills and open up many lens options for video...

Back
Top Bottom