The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

A couple hired me for grungy / smokey grenade engagement photos :pimp:

Heres a few

It was SOOOOOO windy we were having the hardest time getting it to fill up a space :rofl:

which type/brand of 10 stop did you drop??

you had been thinkin bout geting that sick setup, right?

^^^Sick! I was there when I was in Florida. Not sure why but couldn't take really cool photos of the murals and just stopped after a certain point. Your photos are dope and capture the art.

Shot this today and then dropped my ND 10 stopper as well. This was about 45 seconds I believe but a waste of a $168 and only using it for a couple of days total. Need to buy another one now.

golden-nd-1a.png

I have a weird question lol. How do you guys handle shooting people taller then you? Just something I thought about cause that girl looked tall lol. I'm like 5'6 -5'7

One of my biggest pet peeves is people taking pictures at the wrong height. I'm 6'3 so I have yet to run into a taller subject but when we went to a portrait studio the woman who took our pictures would bend down to about 3'6 (I'm guessing) to take our daughter's pictures who is just 1 and she's barely two feet. And each pic looked like I was looking down at her instead of on her level. Still upsets me

I can't remember where I heard/read/saw this:

shooting up at a subject; makes subject look powerful

shooting at same level; helps viewer relate to subject

shooting down at subject; makes the subject look small/vulnerable

obviously not rules but I thought it was a good kind of shorthand for portraits

Planning a trip to Yosemite. Maybe just 1 day 1 night.

For those that have been, were the Housekeeping Camp and the Half Dome village the best places to stay?

which type/brand of 10 stop did you drop??

you had been thinkin bout geting that sick setup, right?

I got the Nisi ND filter. It's literally just a huge plate of glass. I got the Haida 150 series holder for the Tamron and it has a screw fastener that I just didn't put on at the time. So as I rotated the holder, the actual mount just fell out and the filter fell and shattered. I was about to get a lower profile shot as these long exposure shots look better from a low perspective but the inevitable happened and right after my girl told me to watch out and not drop it. Insta karma at its finest.

319a-MLW4-L._SY450_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B016Q4GEAI

I must say though, this type of photography is a real chore. To setup all this stuff, adda a trigger, and then calculate the time via an app is just so time consuming rather than just shooting it and calling it a day. Granted I am happy I can even get shots like that but there is just way too much prep that I am not used to.

I still need to shoot during sun up or sun down with the ND filter, You can get literally minutes to a shot that adds to the smoothness of your ocean shots.

Here are some examples:

b26fbeba4b2210b9db79daabe4027b84
19fea0b1715ad67e8e5f01fb060c2903
a654e40c5c42139563a8ef166d37b3d9

https://iso.500px.com/long-exposure-seascape-tips/

For those that have been, were the Housekeeping Camp and the Half Dome village the best places to stay?

I always stay at Yosemite Cedar Lodge. It's cheaper than staying in the valley but its about a 40 min drive which still isn't bad but can be annoying if you go in and out. The catch is though, that place was known for some killer that murdered people there but that was a long time ago. I found out about that after the facts but still go there. Haha.

http://www.stayyosemitecedarlodge.com

I always stay at Yosemite Cedar Lodge. It's cheaper than staying in the valley but its about a 40 min drive which still isn't bad but can be annoying if you go in and out. The catch is though, that place was known for some killer that murdered people there but that was a long time ago. I found out about that after the facts but still go there. Haha.

http://www.stayyosemitecedarlodge.com

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:lol:

I'll take a look at it. Cheaper is cool cause Il'l most likely be doing it solo.

^^^^^^Honestly if you are up to it, I'd even consider just sleeping in the car if you got a comfortable one. I was going to do that one day by myself when going to Yosemite. You just have to prep for it cause there really isn't any markets there. I went up ones with just bags of food and water with my girl. If we had like a van, I'd totally just park after shooting and chill in the car and just do ghetto washes with bottles of water.

I just checked Cedar Lodge on Expedia and it seems a lot of the weekends are booked. Not sure why that is but maybe everyone is prepping early go to go since this is summer and milky way season.

Word.

I just got the Lee Big Stopper a few weeks back and have only had a couple chances to use it so far. Did take a 5 minute exposure at blue hour at the palace the other night.

I need to get out to Marshall Beach or some other rocky a $ $ beach to catch a sunrise/sunset

I got the Nisi ND filter. It's literally just a huge plate of glass. I got the Haida 150 series holder for the Tamron and it has a screw fastener that I just didn't put on at the time. So as I rotated the holder, the actual mount just fell out and the filter fell and shattered. I was about to get a lower profile shot as these long exposure shots look better from a low perspective but the inevitable happened and right after my girl told me to watch out and not drop it. Insta karma at its finest.

319a-MLW4-L._SY450_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B016Q4GEAI

I must say though, this type of photography is a real chore. To setup all this stuff, adda a trigger, and then calculate the time via an app is just so time consuming rather than just shooting it and calling it a day. Granted I am happy I can even get shots like that but there is just way too much prep that I am not used to.

I still need to shoot during sun up or sun down with the ND filter, You can get literally minutes to a shot that adds to the smoothness of your ocean shots.

Here are some examples:

b26fbeba4b2210b9db79daabe4027b84
19fea0b1715ad67e8e5f01fb060c2903
a654e40c5c42139563a8ef166d37b3d9

https://iso.500px.com/long-exposure-seascape-tips/

Just got Lightroom and Photoshop, completely lost in the whole process compared to Snapseed. Any tutorials out there or videos?

^^^^^^Honestly if you are up to it, I'd even consider just sleeping in the car if you got a comfortable one. I was going to do that one day by myself when going to Yosemite. You just have to prep for it cause there really isn't any markets there. I went up ones with just bags of food and water with my girl. If we had like a van, I'd totally just park after shooting and chill in the car and just do ghetto washes with bottles of water.

I just checked Cedar Lodge on Expedia and it seems a lot of the weekends are booked. Not sure why that is but maybe everyone is prepping early go to go since this is summer and milky way season.

Yeah I considered just sleeping in a car as well since. You can just park up anywhere?

Just got Lightroom and Photoshop, completely lost in the whole process compared to Snapseed. Any tutorials out there or videos?

Use youtube.

Last edited:
Spent a lot of time at Camp 4 in Yosemite. I would imagine its a circus there right now though with the rock climbing in full swing. Just car camp, or stay up all night.

Yeah I considered just sleeping in a car as well since. You can just park up anywhere?
Use youtube.

Wherever there is parking anyways. No one patrols at night from my experience. There are a lot of roadside parking throughout the valley. I am even sure you could sleep at Glacier Point where there is a decent sized parking lot there. You can shoot star shots all night too and just pass out after.

Shot with a model / car for the first time tonight. Very fun experience.

Made sure to do a mixture of perspective.

Level, down pointed up and up pointed down... Just for NT :wink:

I was gonna have her wear an NT fitted but forgot... next time :evil:

^^^Nice stuff.

Anyone recommend a softbox or umbrella on Amazon? My family just hit me up to do a photobooth and rather than making one with a timer and what not, I am just going to buy a backdrop on Amazon and just treat it like a photoshoot and the print photos later.

This is the setup I am going for which is pretty simple. I got the Yongnuo flashes. Might setup another on the other side but one flash indoors should be good. Just not sure if a softbox is better or an umbrella.

large_photoboothdiagram.jpg

Can anyone recommend a site for watermarking multiple photos for free?

If you have Lightroom there is a setting for watermarks. Make sure your logo has a transparent background and save as a .png file.

I don't. And I probably should make the investment soon.

What work do you need watermarked?

:nerd:

A birthday party I just shot for my coworker/ client. over 300+ no duplicates

Can anyone recommend a site for watermarking multiple photos for free?

If you have Lightroom there is a setting for watermarks. Make sure your logo has a transparent background and save as a .png file.

I don't. And I probably should make the investment soon.

What work do you need watermarked?

:nerd:

A birthday party I just shot for my coworker/ client. over 300+ no duplicates

My man :pimp:

Honestly you should invest in Lightroom if you're doing that much editing / shooting. It will allow you to export with your logo / watermark.

Also this is just a question from the business stand point... why are these images being watermarked? Are they proofs that the client is going to selectively purchase?

I've completely abandoned using mine. :lol:

^^^Nice stuff.

Anyone recommend a softbox or umbrella on Amazon? My family just hit me up to do a photobooth and rather than making one with a timer and what not, I am just going to buy a backdrop on Amazon and just treat it like a photoshoot and the print photos later.

This is the setup I am going for which is pretty simple. I got the Yongnuo flashes. Might setup another on the other side but one flash indoors should be good. Just not sure if a softbox is better or an umbrella.

I've got this one and I like it a lot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032767-REG/raya_raya_efs_24_easy_fold.html

Back
Top Bottom