The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

hey guys what up. i have a n00b question for those of yall that are familiar with longer exposures. i was out trying my hand at taking 6"-13" exposures of some city scapes but the banding during post is a pain. other than increasing the grain, does anyone have any recommendations in regard to dealing and handling this?

Last edited:
Regardless of the grip, get extra batteries. I hate to be out at shoots only to be low on power.

I second on that Canon 10-18mm for a crop frame. With that and the 50mm 1.8, you should have all areas covered and on a super good budget.

I second everything right here.

Reflectors are great for photoshoots.

It's useful to have an ND filter and circular polarizer every now and then.

Rocket blower most definitely.

If you get a flash, get some remote triggers too. Opens up endless possibilities for off camera use.

And my most favorite accessory of all time, the camera strap. Find one that suits your needs.

yup. also makes the camera fit in my hand better. plus easier to shoot with camera rotated

The thing with battery grips is I found them heavy/bulky and I already don't like carrying a camera as is sometimes :lol:

Regardless of the grip, get extra batteries. I hate to be out at shoots only to be low on power.

I second on that Canon 10-18mm for a crop frame. With that and the 50mm 1.8, you should have all areas covered and on a super good budget.

Here's my arsenal as of right now

t3i
tamrom 17-50mm 2.8
55-250mm kit lens
430ex ii
(3) Yongnuo YN560-II
(3) Yongnuo Upgrade RF-603 II C1 Flash Trigger
DIY sliding camera strap
(3) batteries
64gb sandisk extreme pro

Extra:
White backdrop and stands
(2) Flash umbrella kit/stands
Panasonic eneloop batteries
Manfrotto MK294A3 Aluminum Tripod

I think that's it. Recommendations on cleaning kits if I can't find mine?

Also, lenses for crop sensors? As mentioned a while ago, looking into the sigma 30mm 1.4 but wondering what else after that.

hey guys what up. i have a n00b question for those of yall that are familiar with longer exposures. i was out trying my hand at taking 6"-13" exposures of some city scapes but the banding during post is a pain. other than increasing the grain, does anyone have any recommendations in regard to dealing and handling this?

What do you mean by banding? Vertical lines?

screwing with my OCF + pops :lol:

#itbelikethatsometimes...in some situations the sensor just can't handle the subtle gradiations in color, which can often result in some banding, especially when pushed in post processing. 1) shooting in raw of course-more information-will help and perhaps using an neutral density, polarizing, or maybe even a color filter on the lens or using gradient filters in post. it might be worthwhile to try slightly longer and/or shorter exposures and see if either helps?

I think that's it. Recommendations on cleaning kits if I can't find mine?

Also, lenses for crop sensors? As mentioned a while ago, looking into the sigma 30mm 1.4 but wondering what else after that.

I bought a VSGO aps-c sensor cleaning kit and it was pretty decent if the blower doesn't work. Also spots can be found on your viewfinder, not seen on images but annoying nonetheless.

Based on your setup: 10-18 STM, 50 STM, 85 USM. Skip the Sigma 30/1.4, read mixed reviews, no IS, your Tamron should suffice with IS and fast aperture @2.8. Other stuff to look at camera trigger, mini/tabletop tripod, looking at the ultrapod II myself, and LR/Photoshop CC subscriptions for $10/month.

I bought a VSGO aps-c sensor cleaning kit and it was pretty decent if the blower doesn't work. Also spots can be found on your viewfinder, not seen on images but annoying nonetheless.

Based on your setup: 10-18 STM, 50 STM, 85 USM. Skip the Sigma 30/1.4, read mixed reviews, no IS, your Tamron should suffice with IS and fast aperture @2.8. Other stuff to look at camera trigger, mini/tabletop tripod, looking at the ultrapod II myself, and LR/Photoshop CC subscriptions for $10/month.

The 10-18 stm looks nice. Curious as to why the no on the Sigma 30 1.4? I figured since I'm using a crop sensor, it would make more sense over the 50stm.

I've shot with the old 50mm 1.8 indoors and it felt very cramped.

As well, 85 usm mostly for portraits you said? Not sure how much portrait shooting I'll be getting to but I'll keep it in mind.

A camera trigger I have, the flexible tripods look pretty interesting, how're they compared to the ultrapod?

And Lightroom and photoshop I have although I'm not very good at ps at all.

I have a 24mm 2.8.

Great for the price.

What would the benefit of getting a prime 24mm 2.8 have over my tamron 17-50mm 2.8? Are there differences with prime vs zoom?

The 10-18 stm looks nice. Curious as to why the no on the Sigma 30 1.4? I figured since I'm using a crop sensor, it would make more sense over the 50stm.

I've shot with the old 50mm 1.8 indoors and it felt very cramped.

As well, 85 usm mostly for portraits you said? Not sure how much portrait shooting I'll be getting to but I'll keep it in mind.

A camera trigger I have, the flexible tripods look pretty interesting, how're they compared to the ultrapod?

And Lightroom and photoshop I have although I'm not very good at ps at all.

I have a 24mm 2.8.

Great for the price.

What would the benefit of getting a prime 24mm 2.8 have over my tamron 17-50mm 2.8? Are there differences with prime vs zoom?

None really. It's funny cause I own the 17-50, a 50mm and that 24mm.

It's just a small, light lens.

Used it a lot when I was in Taipei since I was walking around most of the time.

Last edited:
#itbelikethatsometimes...in some situations the sensor just can't handle the subtle gradiations in color, which can often result in some banding, especially when pushed in post processing. 1) shooting in raw of course-more information-will help and perhaps using an neutral density, polarizing, or maybe even a color filter on the lens or using gradient filters in post. it might be worthwhile to try slightly longer and/or shorter exposures and see if either helps?

thanks for this. yeah, i think i was ill equipped and having a filter could have improved the results. honestly i think i was just ill informed overall going into it, the light pollution from all the building lights had something to do with it, i think. i ended up just using the adjustment brush to darken the sky to try and hide and cover it up which is probably not the recommended method to work around it. i mainly just wanted to put good use to a gorilla pod i just bought. it was really functional and practical, and fit in a daily tote without any hassle.

27944673213_d01e7c71d5_c.jpg
28495117682_832af2bfc8_c.jpg
28517520071_594e9d4916_c.jpg
28523645581_603d4797cd_c.jpg
27979583823_c425bc3d88_c.jpg
27979166344_dc8b61a1eb_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom