The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I just read about a dude that I personally never had a chance to meet but wanted to ...

His ig @heavy_minds ... Always thought dude was a little out there like every risk taker that does it for the gram but he paid with his life ... According to report he was trying to surf the F train when he was struck and felt to the tracks. They found him dead at 5:12 am. I don't know if he was trying to take pictures but damn that sucks.

Although his death can't be traced to him taking pictures im sure someone out there will take notice because of his IG and tried to start banning and imposing steep fines and possibly jail .. Could be wrong.

Well i dont know how heavy the consequences are but i know that urban explorer photographers get arrested often

My only shot that was decent in St Louis. Had no time to walk around. Going to be shooting hopefully some stuff this weekend with some flashes at a location. We'll see how it goes.

da-arch-1.png

some recent stuff. been struggling hard recently. i feel like although i enjoy photography as a hobby and do it recreationally, i want to find my own concept/ perspective/ "voice". something more thought provoking than just taking travel pics for a coffee table book one day. seems out of reach, feeling like im just wandering aimlessly in the dark with no direction, not sure what i'm really going for.

29919935270_c6b09a15f9_c.jpg
29918597820_58a73dbfa7_c.jpg
30214436445_2dc6e41ca6_c.jpg
29918624900_a615127b6b_c.jpg
30179908636_1b5e91f153_c.jpg
30181316036_1b9f598bdc_c.jpg

some recent stuff. been struggling hard recently. i feel like although i enjoy photography as a hobby and do it recreationally, i want to find my own concept/ perspective/ "voice". something more thought provoking than just taking travel pics for a coffee table book one day. seems out of reach, feeling like im just wandering aimlessly in the dark with no direction, not sure what i'm really going for.

although maybe obvious to say & know intellectually, i think generally, everyone goes through phases like this...but mentioning this isn't all that helpful. i think if finding your style/voice is where you are at with it, might help you to think about what it is you want to say? what do you actually like? what are you interested in? and if what you are currently doing isn't answering those questions, start trying things that do...

although maybe obvious to say & know intellectually, i think generally, everyone goes through phases like this...but mentioning this isn't all that helpful. i think if finding your style/voice is where you are at with it, might help you to think about what it is you want to say? what do you actually like? what are you interested in? and if what you are currently doing isn't answering those questions, start trying things that do...

Repped for the reply. Quality points and guiding questions that I needed to hear from someone else. A great starting point. Was thinking out loud, but this thread is one where I value the feedback and insight of the other members.

Slowly transitioning to a film shooter! Just bought a Nikon F100 and a 50 1.4 that should be here tomorrow. Think I'll shoot with this setup for a while before eventually getting myself a rollieflex. Still shooting with my Sony A7RII and 35mm 1.4 and will eventually get an 85 GM. Really love the film look and emulating that look with digital is a pain, but I have found some recent success in pulling it off. 

Slowly transitioning to a film shooter! Just bought a Nikon F100 and a 50 1.4 that should be here tomorrow. Think I'll shoot with this setup for a while before eventually getting myself a rollieflex. Still shooting with my Sony A7RII and 35mm 1.4 and will eventually get an 85 GM. Really love the film look and emulating that look with digital is a pain, but I have found some recent success in pulling it off. 

I have an F100. But I'm a Nikon shooter, and it is the reason I picked the F100. It allows my current lens lineup with the camera. I haven't developed any film or anything yet though. I need to make an honest effort to do so.

I have an F100. But I'm a Nikon shooter, and it is the reason I picked the F100. It allows my current lens lineup with the camera. I haven't developed any film or anything yet though. I need to make an honest effort to do so.
my job has additional nikon lenses so ill def. be experimenting with those to figure out which one's ill invest in myself.

haven't posted in here in awhile...

I was in Detroit this weekend...I love the grungy vibes of this city.

Last edited:
Been taking a crack at some off flash portraits past couple of days. Only thing that sucks is I only have a 15-30mm and 50mm to play with so not really at the focal length that I want but I am making due with what I have. Some of these are really just tests with the lighting and exposure. The posing I still have a lot to learn. I do thoroughly enjoy this style of photography. I know this look isn't always people's favorite since natural light is still a great look and more convenient but it kind of just opens your brain up to think a different way.

Like this first photo. Almost can be treated as just a natural light photo but I made sure the flash exposure was correct to the background to give that look. This was in a total shaded area in SF. But now that I think of it, I really like flash stuff to show that it is a flash photo rather than it looking almost like natural.

maria-6.png

So then I started just shooting at dusk which only gave you a really small window to shoot and even though I find it frustrating at times, it does give off a really nice look. I used two flashes for this and it looked so unnatural since light was coming form two directions.

maria-2a.png

These two were better imo. Complimented the background more and light came from only one direction. I just wish the background was a little more dynamic but it's been foggy past couple of days. I'll definitely be posting more as I figure this stuff out.

maria-3.png
maria-5a.png

^^^^Actually the idea right now is to do my own engagement shoot for my own wedding next year. I've heard of some photographers doing this but I honestly think it will be harder than it seems. It will save me some money though and it will have a really cool personal feel to each photo we get. The flash stuff is really just for the dusk/night photos. I am sure I can't replicate every photo I want but I want to get as much as I can without the aid of any other person. I am currently investing in getting a remote for my camera. Can't shoot 200mm on a 10 second timer. Haha.

Does anyone know if you can stack a wireless receiver on top of a trigger and both would work?

I got these cheap Youngnuo triggers:

7175q05SRJL._SY355_.jpg

And want to put this sensor on top of it. Would both work if on my camera's hotshoe?

Phottix-Aion-on-Camera.jpg

^ On my d810, I can set the timer for 20 seconds and have it take up to 9 pictures spaced as little as a half second apart (I don't recall how long in between the max is). I've used it many times like this when taking shots of my wife and I. It seems to perform pretty well.

Last edited:
Do both triggers transmit and receive signals? I have a Neewer hotshoe transmitter with 2 separate receivers, but they're not interchangeable. Yours may not work the opposite way it's intended to either. I would just check on Amazon for reviews/questions to see if anyone suggested as much. If all 3 units are on the same radio channel, it may work.

Dang i just use canon's transmitter and speed lights. receiver is built into the flashes. A lot less hassle imo

Dang i just use canon's transmitter and speed lights. receiver is built into the flashes. A lot less hassle imo

Its not a hassle at all. That tech is still relatively recent. Prior to that, the body would trigger the pop-up flash to communicate with the speedlites (that goes for both Nikon and Canon). Radio triggers just made it easier for off camera flash if the speedlites weren't in the line of sight for the pop-up flash. Or if your body didn't have a flash and you used manual speedlites.

Yongnuo also has that kind of flash system you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom