The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

1 speed light

and first time using this
Amazon product ASIN B00PIM3I7W
made the light very soft. i liked it a lot.

Nice....lights look great. I still use an umbrella but need to get a softbox. My umbrellas are totally destroyed but they still get the job done. Umbrella and wind obviously do not go hand in hand.

Man umbrellas, softboxes, etc. They're all straight up sails :lol:

Even with sandbags, if its big enough, its best to just have an assistant holding it down.

I have a 10 stop too. I honestly haven't even used it as much as I would like even though it cost me an arm and a leg. But the 10 stop really is just good for complete sun shots. It's hard to use during sun down and sun set to balance out the lighting and what not. Also aside from the 10 stop, you need a gradient filter as well if you are shooting sunsets and there are so many of those to even choose from depending on the scenery you are shooting. And then there is the polarizer as well if you are trying to cut reflections. It's really a lot of stuff.

Also if you have the time and patience, you can do stacking images to simulate an ND filter look.

Woah. I'm going to try that stacking method and see what kind of results I get. Considering I won't be using the ND filter a lot it might be worth it just to stack the images. I've had a polarizer which comes in handy a lot to cut out reflections.

^beautiful. I'm guessing this was during the middle of the day when the sun was shining bright?

^
I have B+W 10 and 6 stop filters, 6 stops is plenty for smooth water. Very very rarely use my 10 stop.

After seeing shots taken with the 6 stop I'm leaning towards it since I'll probably only use it during the early morning or at night. I know I've been asking a lot of questions the past couple of days but I plan on getting a tripod and nd filter this black Fri. After that it's no more $ spent on equipment....hopefully lol.

I've had this 10 stop bw filter for around three years now, and I've probably used it less than 5 times. It might be better to spend the money on something more interesting. Do you have a polarizer? I also like graduated neutral density filters... but that's just me.

I do have a polarizer but didn't even think about graduated nd filters. Might skip out on it.

Woah. I'm going to try that stacking method and see what kind of results I get. Considering I won't be using the ND filter a lot it might be worth it just to stack the images. I've had a polarizer which comes in handy a lot to cut out reflections.
I do have a polarizer but didn't even think about graduated nd filters. Might skip out on it.

Check out Lee filter's site. They have a bunch of videos at the very bottom that shows examples of using filters.

Check out the one with Mark Bauer. Shows an example of using two filters for a shot.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/bigstopper

I have a 10 stop too. I honestly haven't even used it as much as I would like even though it cost me an arm and a leg. But the 10 stop really is just good for complete sun shots. It's hard to use during sun down and sun set to balance out the lighting and what not. Also aside from the 10 stop, you need a gradient filter as well if you are shooting sunsets and there are so many of those to even choose from depending on the scenery you are shooting. And then there is the polarizer as well if you are trying to cut reflections. It's really a lot of stuff.

Also if you have the time and patience, you can do stacking images to simulate an ND filter look.

^beautiful. I'm guessing this was during the middle of the day when the sun was shining bright?

^
I have B+W 10 and 6 stop filters, 6 stops is plenty for smooth water. Very very rarely use my 10 stop.

After seeing shots taken with the 6 stop I'm leaning towards it since I'll probably only use it during the early morning or at night. I know I've been asking a lot of questions the past couple of days but I plan on getting a tripod and nd filter this black Fri. After that it's no more $ spent on equipment....hopefully lol.

I've had this 10 stop bw filter for around three years now, and I've probably used it less than 5 times. It might be better to spend the money on something more interesting. Do you have a polarizer? I also like graduated neutral density filters... but that's just me.

Some people say graduated nd filters are useless these days because you can do everything in post... but for me, I have a hard time replicating in post what graduated nd filters can do easily.

^ I'm a big fan of Lightroom for basic adjustments. Then, I usually do more advanced editing in photoshop. I hate the idea of subscription software, so I'm still on photoshop CS6. No complaints here, and no urges to upgrade to the cloud.
I'm not that great with photoshop so I pretty much just do my photo editing on lightroom.  Do you get updates for your lightroom program? 

I read somewhere that you'll get the updates on the subscription, where as when you have the physical program it won't receive it.  

^ no updates to software or functions. The only updates are to the camera raw engine that allows the program to read raw images from cameras that have come out since the release of Lightroom/photoshop.

There are probably a lot of nice new functions with the CC or with LR6, but I don't feel I need them at the moment. I usually upgrade Lightroom every other release.

Some people say graduated nd filters are useless these days because you can do everything in post... but for me, I have a hard time replicating in post what graduated nd filters can do easily.

That's true. Just take two images exposing the background and foreground and blend them all in post. Or even do it the lazy way and shoot only exposed to the sky and fix that one image with your RAW file and bring up the shadows. Those things are way easier now than ever.

thinking about pulling the trigger on a mark iii 5d for around 1800. would that be a good deal ?

Sorry for the spam. Some photos from my trip to New York this past weekend. Such a dope place to photograph. You can find the rest on my blog/flickr.

DSC05634.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05638.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

25.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

04.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GD101716.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GD101675.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05594.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05307.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05165.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05212.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05162.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05109.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC05096.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

14A-2.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

33A-2.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

0A.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

Got to meet the legendary, Louis Mendes. He's the reason why I got into Polaroid pack film cameras.

17.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

^^^Nice stuff.

Speaking of NY, I am going to be there on the first week of December for work and got one half day to kill to shoot photos. I am going to be in the financial district. I sort of don't want to shoot the usual stuff since I already have. Anyone have spots in mind just for some good unique photos? I was thinking of the Big L mural in Harlem just cause he's one of my favorite rappers and I still have yet to see that mural but it's a trek to get out there just for a shot of a painting. Are there any other spots over in Harlem worth checking out?

^^^Nice stuff.

Speaking of NY, I am going to be there on the first week of December for work and got one half day to kill to shoot photos. I am going to be in the financial district. I sort of don't want to shoot the usual stuff since I already have. Anyone have spots in mind just for some good unique photos? I was thinking of the Big L mural in Harlem just cause he's one of my favorite rappers and I still have yet to see that mural but it's a trek to get out there just for a shot of a painting. Are there any other spots over in Harlem worth checking out?
Theres always something happening on 125th. That's where I would start.

EDIT: there's a YMCA on 135th that has a basketball court outside. There's some paintings on the walls if you're into that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
^^^Nice stuff.

Truthfully in Harlem, nah. Unless you want to go to 125th street and get some shoots of the Apollo or the State Office Building on 7th Ave on 125th. The Big L mural would probably be the coolest thing to say you got a picture, in Harlem. And I live in Harlem...

Truthfully in Harlem, nah. Unless you want to go to 125th street and get some shoots of the Apollo or the State Office Building on 7th Ave on 125th. The Big L mural would probably be the coolest thing to say you got a picture, in Harlem. And I live in Harlem...
This.

Good to know. Thanks. I noticed Rucker park was around the way but not sure if that would even be worth the photo op.

I'll try and stay around financial district then. I know this shot is photoed to death but it's close by to my hotel.

15201252371_761db54a94_z.jpg

Good to know. Thanks. I noticed Rucker park was around the way but not sure if that would even be worth the photo op.

I'll try and stay around financial district then. I know this shot is photoed to death but it's close by to my hotel.

15201252371_761db54a94_z.jpg

If you're staying in Brooklyn then that's your best bet for art/graffiti. All around Williamsburg there's art. There's a biggie mural just don't know where exactly.

If you're staying in Brooklyn then that's your best bet for art/graffiti. All around Williamsburg there's art. There's a biggie mural just don't know where exactly.

I am staying a block away from Water St. I figure I can walk the Brooklyn Bridge and get to that park no problem. I was looking for more rooftops near financial district to shoot but they seem difficult to find or get access too. I figure the ol' faithful Brooklyn bridge shots are my best bet for the 6 hour time frame that I have.

Just got my tamron 70-200 in. Can't wait to go out and shoot with it!!!

Just came back from taking a few test shots. I can see why people love the 70-200 so much, only down side is that it's heavy. With the tamron the zoom is towards the front so that's going to take some time getting used to but this is now my everyday lens. LOVE IT! Also glad that I don't need to get any step up/down rings to make my polarizer fit.

Last edited:
^that shot with the sun in between the benches is legit, #goodshot!

randoms of my city's skyline, colors are all over the place but i dig it

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

anyone been checking for this adorama series? it's basically next top model meets photography...wish they would have formatted it differently, it seems weird to eliminate people based on how they do in a single assignment rather than letting them build a body of work and judging them on how they do overall?

Just got my tamron 70-200 in. Can't wait to go out and shoot with it!!!

Just came back from taking a few test shots. I can see why people love the 70-200 so much, only down side is that it's heavy. With the tamron the zoom is towards the front so that's going to take some time getting used to but this is now my everyday lens. LOVE IT! Also glad that I don't need to get any step up/down rings to make my polarizer fit.
]

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh man!!!!!!!!

Already doin damage :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom