The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

i doubt it's that, there is definitely some aspect of flexing that goes on, as with most things...i think of it more like having the fundamentals in sports, you could definitely get by on instincts & natural ability alone if you are gifted enough but once you understand it on a fundamental level it only heightens those things that come naturally. so many things go into this photography thing (creativity, observation, relationships, timing, etc.), that if you can take out a variable with an auto mode, it only makes sense. where the conflict often arises is when those who haven't taken the time to either their own camera or the photography generally and then ask why they aren't getting what they expect/want...

the flip side of the manual thing is that sometimes people jump into it too fast, in situations where it might not be necessary, and indeed photographic knowledge of any kind is not necessary to make a good image, it certainly help tho!
pretty much what I came to say ....

Shooting manual vs auto is no debate unless the person doesn't know anything about Manual ...

I often find myself shooting in AV cause I know where I want to keep my aperture and I let the camera give me the correct exposure ....

But if I didn't know how to adjust my settings to give me a certain mood then there be a problem ....

Use what gets you the results you want but don't complain when you see astonishing photos and be like it's Photoshop.. Cause I bet a lot of those images have a strong starting pictures and minor adjustments are needed.

That's not to say that some are heavy on the Photoshop ....

Last edited:

These is a great set of images of your trip - so good it has me thinking I need to take a trip to Oregon ASAP.

How long was this trip for? Is everything above relatively close??? Also, I'm being lazy - hit me up with locations of these spots?

Very nice-REP!
Thanks and it was 6 day road trip, 50+ hours and over 1500 miles driven round trip. 

I'd definitely be on board with that. Do a mini SF photo walk or something. 
Sick, some time in Feb would be good when the fog comes back

Thanks and it was 6 day road trip, 50+ hours and over 1500 miles driven round trip. 

Sick, some time in Feb would be good when the fog comes back
if you can send me a list of those places I quoted I appreciated ... I wouldn't mind hitting a few of those ... Looks relaxing and outdoorsy ...

Thanks man, beautiful film work. Always enjoy seeing your shots on here as well, we should get a NT bay area photog meet going soon

amazing set Jordan, great to see you back.

A get together for us Bay Heads sometime in the future would be dope

being in socal kinda sucks. i miss the norcal coast lines and scenery.

i havent shot in a while tho :smh:

Last edited:
Very happy with how this shot came out.

post-processing is highly subjective, but i guess that is the case with most things...it looks fine; you might consider cropping out that sliver of horizon though?

Happy New Year y'all!

Finally finished editing my New York video after a bunch of delays. I'll be posting it along with my shots from that trip soon.

Here's a quick preview of how my "final" edits looked before a couple of months ago and the changes I made to how I edit now;

Overall I'm really content with how my edits look now. I uploaded to flickr so they can show up bigger on here but I'm still doing something wrong. Gotta figure it out lol

@JordanSF

My dude you have me thinking about taking a trip to Portland this month. However, I think is going to be cold AF. Might just end up going to San Fran .... You have me motivated now - want to go on a shooting spree ...

^on that note, does anyone use a camera bag/backpack that they rock with sans camera equipment like a normal bag/backpack?

put this together from a quick flight around my way, got to this little preserve spot just before sunrise, with all kind of hues in the sky...unfortunately didn't realize i hadn't hit record until 15 in after the sky had settled in!

Last edited:
Think my next lens will be an 85mm 1.8.

Also gonna consider getting a 70D by the end of the year.

Last edited:
damn good stuff @Fongstarr i saw your occulus pic on ig and my only point of reference of it prior was from adorama's top photographer lol. i finished the season, and thought it was really cool to be honest. hope they follow up with another, im no expert but personally i thought it was put together pretty well. sweet tones manusousou manusousou . here are a few from the past week and a blog update from my site im trying to keep up with. https://www.grinfluenza.com/new-blog/2016/12/12/almost-home

30765695273_edbf9340f6_c.jpg
30765694463_5e3eeaa398_c.jpg
31461528691_30ec39d722_c.jpg
30736044014_fec4a68348_c.jpg
31575337015_757acb4a0a_c.jpg

Those are all dope.....just wondering, for inside venues like these you posted. Whats your setup for those? I really dig the way you captured/edited the lighting.

70D is a solid camera....does everything well IMO. Pricing on it should be really good considering the 80D has been out for some time now. I'm torn, cause I've spoken several times about making the jump to Sony and getting an A7/A7r......

If I decide to get one of those bodies with the 28-70 kit, Ill have about $1500 left for glass. I like to shoot a little of everything, more street/architecture stuff (if that helps with suggestions). I was thinking of getting an A7 with the kit, and Sonys nifty 50 to start. Looking for other suggestions. Would appreciate it

70D is a solid camera....does everything well IMO. Pricing on it should be really good considering the 80D has been out for some time now. I'm torn, cause I've spoken several times about making the jump to Sony and getting an A7/A7r......

From what I've seen, the A7 is amazing, but I know nothing about mirrorless.

Just gotta sell off some shoes and the T2i for the 70D.

Having a hard time gettig good bokeh with my friends 24-70. Must I be at 70mm to get decent bokeh? Im already at 2.8 and even then the bokeh is eh at 70.

Hey guys, I recently got a nikon D3400. I've been playing with it a ton to figure everything out but was just wondering if anyone has a website or videos they recommend for a beginner?

Having a hard time gettig good bokeh with my friends 24-70. Must I be at 70mm to get decent bokeh? Im already at 2.8 and even then the bokeh is eh at 70.

aperture is only 1 part of getting bokeh.

it is also:
- Distance of the focal plane to the camera
- Distance of the focal plane from the background

at 24mm 2.8 you're not going to get a ton of bokeh when your focal plane is pretty far from the lens. Example:

160mm 2.8 and you get lots of bokeh because the focus plane is pretty close to the lens and she's pretty separated from the background.

Aperture isnt everything when it comes to bokeh. In fact, its really only about 1/3 of the equation.

This image i posted earlier today is a good example... This was shot at 85mm f/1.6 and theres not a lot of blur because my subject is very close to the background.

This is why i keep saying having a long lens is crucial for portraits.

Back
Top Bottom