The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Like I know it happens, but who goes back and forth in a convo like that

no one LITERALLY goes in based on the size of lenses, if you reread the last few exchanges about L glass versus 3rd party lenses, it may not be top of mind conscious, but it is all in the subtext...it isn't that hard to imagine, and it doesn't require a particular 'type' of person, it is kinda human nature...

I've seen nikon folk poop on D lenses in favor of G lenses strictly because G is newer.

I've seen lots of mixed reviews about the newer 105 1.4G. Some say its poop some say its the best thing ever.

I just sit and wait for my 135mm L f/2 :smile:

^ Where have you read bad reviews of the 105? I haven't seen such a universally loved lens since the introduction of the 200-400.

I own a bunch of D lenses, but the G's often out perform the D when it comes to lens performance. I own the 85 1.4 D, and if price was not a problem, I would certainly prefer the newer G lens.

^ Where have you read bad reviews of the 105? I haven't seen such a universally loved lens since the introduction of the 200-400.

I own a bunch of D lenses, but the G's often out perform the D when it comes to lens performance. I own the 85 1.4 D, and if price was not a problem, I would certainly prefer the newer G lens.

Mostly this loony toon i see floating around on youtube and his followers. :lol:

bunch of non factors, tbh

My boy owns the 85 1.4D and the thing is freaking nuts.

Got my first magazine publication in today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully y'all are actually out shooting as much as we argue about gear.

Got my first magazine publication in today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully y'all are actually out shooting as much as we argue about gear.
congrats

I might go ahead and purchase the A7RII ....

The Sony trade in deal they have going on right now is really good.

$2418 brand new. Only thing is I'm sure the R3 is around the corner, but it'll probably cost a grand more.
Yeah I Switched to Sony from a 6D and it was life changing. I haven't had any issues with the sensor exposure and shoot primarily with the 85mm 1.8 Batis or Zeiss 55m. No problems. Love that I made the switch.

Anyone in here prefer using APS-C crop sensors over full frames?

If yes, is there a specific reason.
Been mostly rocking with Sony & Fujifilm crop sensors & sometimes it does get annoying when a 35 acts like a 52 due to the crop.

Been mostly rocking with Sony & Fujifilm crop sensors & sometimes it does get annoying when a 35 acts like a 52 due to the crop.

i would say it is a right tool for the job sort of thing...generally, cheaper than a similarly spec'd 35mm digital camera, smaller bodies, generally cheaper & smaller lenses compared to larger formats, and more depth of field & 'reach' for any given focal length...so to the extent all or any of those particulars are important to how/what a person shoots, it can dictate what tool one might prefer to use...

I shoot with a Fuji. Didn't pick it over full frame per say, but it's the system I got started with and I've built a nice collection of lenses over a few years. I'm sure I'd see some improvement in image quality if I jumped to full frame, but the Fuji handles everything I need it to, I love the handling, and the system is nice and light. At this point, I'd rather spend my money traveling and putting my gear to use than on upgrading my kit.

A couple shots from Yosemite the other week, and another snowy drone shot. Broke 2 props on the drone this morning 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^ This is my critique, so just realize we all have different styles.... so don't go crazy if you disagree. What I'd say though, is that I don't like the lighting in many of the photos. There are a lot of dark rooms with natural lighting, but that natural lighting is often behind the model (with reference to the camera). The windows create a large bright spot, that is distracting in the photo, and does not light up the face of the models. I would have tried to get at least perpendicular to the light, instead of behind. You can get really nice light on the face, or half of the face that way. The overhead shot of the redhead on the sofa helps illustrate this, as her head is dark, but her hand is bright. Her arm behind her head is blocking the light that could be on her face. One thing that you should always try to do in my opinion, is quickly look at the photo, and see where your eyes go. For some of those, my eyes go to the brightest objects, and it is often the window. The model is then the second thing i Look at. However, in the first photo, I am immediately drawn to the model because there is not distracting objects in the background.

Still trying to get used to this 85mm focal length. For some reason I just can't get the hang of it. Anyways, also tried my hand in cross processing for the first time. (Developing slide film in C-41.)

DSC07535.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

DSC07551.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

20.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

23.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

24.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

35.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

37.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

nice! when i get some money im going to get back to film and developing my own B&W film. i need too. i have the cameras still but i been slacking.

Had no idea you could process slide film in C-41. Have a couple of rolls of Velvia I've been holding off on shooting, will have to give it a shot. Any special technique, or just develop it like I would C-41?

Had no idea you could process slide film in C-41. Have a couple of rolls of Velvia I've been holding off on shooting, will have to give it a shot. Any special technique, or just develop it like I would C-41?

Developing slide film in C-41 is called cross processing. Although no longer not that common, a lot of people used to do it because it gave off a certain look. The photos I posted were color corrected.

You can develop it as normal, but I pushed it for 2 stops (I think) in dev for a bit more contrast. It was about an extra 30 seconds. You won't get positives like you would normally with E-6.

OG is heavy on the cyan and yellow.

KRFrLxn.jpg

2aAvMdS.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got to use the sigma 35mm 1.4 art for myself today.

Very happy with the rendition on it. It focused just fine for me.

I would love to try the 35mm 1.4L II.

^ This is my critique, so just realize we all have different styles.... so don't go crazy if you disagree. What I'd say though, is that I don't like the lighting in many of the photos. There are a lot of dark rooms with natural lighting, but that natural lighting is often behind the model (with reference to the camera). The windows create a large bright spot, that is distracting in the photo, and does not light up the face of the models. I would have tried to get at least perpendicular to the light, instead of behind. You can get really nice light on the face, or half of the face that way. The overhead shot of the redhead on the sofa helps illustrate this, as her head is dark, but her hand is bright. Her arm behind her head is blocking the light that could be on her face. One thing that you should always try to do in my opinion, is quickly look at the photo, and see where your eyes go. For some of those, my eyes go to the brightest objects, and it is often the window. The model is then the second thing i Look at. However, in the first photo, I am immediately drawn to the model because there is not distracting objects in the background.

Thank you for the critique man, much appreciated!

I forget who asked me to do a video on it, but i put up my 17th video today and its on the tone curve. :smile:

Teach Me How to lightroom - 017 - How to Master the Tone Curve

@bjamez20   @manusousou   @Fongstarr     

Solid shots as usual y'all

@mjbetch  

Dude, dope shots like always. You're going to love SF if you haven't already visited before haha

@erdyawron  

Digging the last shot you posted as well as the edit. 

To add to @dragicon's critique, in my opinion it always looks better when your edits are consistent, which to me makes it look like a true set. For ex. Shots 2-4 have three different edits of the same model and clothing. If I was on the outside looking in I'd think they were shot on different days w/ the same clothing. If you stuck to one edit like the last shot you posted I'd know they were all from the same shoot.  I have trouble deciding at first on the style and look of the edit for each set since I have too many options sometimes but once I decide on one I want to be consistent with the rest and have them all connect with one another if that makes sense. Otherwise I think your framing and composition is solid and you're only going to get better. Keep it up man.

Back
Top Bottom