The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^^In my opinion, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX-II or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. If you are broke, get the Canon 10-18 mm f/ 4.5-5.6 for sure.

Check this article too: http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-wide-angle-lens-1307770/2

Read into the Tokina too. Budgeting for under $400. I may go with the Canon 10-18mm which is on ebay right now with an additional 20% off and another 8% ebay bucks :smokin

I found a Sigma 10-20mm for 230 however the seller isn't getting back to me :stoneface:

These are all solid choices!

Ever think about rocking any cheap primes?

canon 24mm 2.8
http://amzn.to/2nJJzfA

Canon 40mm 2.8 (i know... not super wide)
http://amzn.to/2n8222a

Like fong said, that tokina joint is nice
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116
http://amzn.to/2mttWsr

Tokina also makes a 12-28mm
http://amzn.to/2mR0IPI

IDK what your budget is like, but if you got a lot to work with, the tamron 15-30 is amazing
http://amzn.to/2mtltWo

thanks for all the suggestions! I was also thinking about a prime lens. I heard great things about the canon 24mm for shooting videos for perfect range. I'll keep that Tokina 11-16 in mind it looks enticing.

Sigma 17-50 2.8?

that was a lens I was initially looking at, but what's deferred me from the idea of purchasing is that I currently have the stock lens the t3i comes with 18-55mm IS II lens. Would it be much of a difference upgrading to the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8? Thanks!

P.S. - also, appreciate the responses guys. Investing in a lens is time consuing D: lol

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX-II

I just picked one up about a month ago and it is great for landscape. Sample pic with the Tokina on a D3300

Hi guys,

visiting Japan in about two weeks and was looking to grab a new lens good for landscape (video shooting as well). I would consider myself beginner/intermediate level.

some lens I had in mind (not limited to) that would be suitable for my trips purpose. Any other suggestions are welcomed!
happy.gif
happy.gif
Currently using a Canon t3i

- tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-3.5
- sigma 10-20 mm f/4-5.6
- canon 10-18 mm f/ 4.5-5.6

any other tips would be great! appreciate it in advance.

Read into the Tokina too. Budgeting for under $400. I may go with the Canon 10-18mm which is on ebay right now with an additional 20% off and another 8% ebay bucks :smokin

I found a Sigma 10-20mm for 230 however the seller isn't getting back to me :stoneface:
thanks for all the suggestions! I was also thinking about a prime lens. I heard great things about the canon 24mm for shooting videos for perfect range. I'll keep that Tokina 11-16 in mind it looks enticing.
that was a lens I was initially looking at, but what's deferred me from the idea of purchasing is that I currently have the stock lens the t3i comes with 18-55mm IS II lens. Would it be much of a difference upgrading to the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8? Thanks!

P.S. - also, appreciate the responses guys. Investing in a lens is time consuing D: lol

Well the difference I the 17-50 is that it's a wide range at 2.8. The kit lenses usually don't have a constant aperture. This will usually be sharper then kit lenses from the t3i era and can be used in many situations. Being on cropped I wouldn't buy too many ef-s lenses so getting this for the price is worth it.

I'm still on crop sensor and have a lot to learn but I'm sticking with this lens unless I feel the need to go wider I will get a 10-18mm. I also have a 50mm 1.8 prime. As far as crop goes I think this set up will get you going for awhile.

Btw i got the sigma 17-50mm for video since it's wide enough and not just for photography.

Last edited:
I got the 17-50 to replace my Nikon kit lens - and it's a great upgrade. Nice and sharp and better in low light but the biggest advantage is that the dynamic range seems greater.

Last year I borrowed a friends expensive Nikon lens for a couple of shots and was blown away by the extra detail - recently I tried it again and there wasn't much difference from my 17-50.

Well worth the upgrade IME.

Well the difference I the 17-50 is that it's a wide range at 2.8. The kit lenses usually don't have a constant aperture. This will usually be sharper then kit lenses from the t3i era and can be used in many situations. Being on cropped I wouldn't buy too many ef-s lenses so getting this for the price is worth it.

I'm still on crop sensor and have a lot to learn but I'm sticking with this lens unless I feel the need to go wider I will get a 10-18mm. I also have a 50mm 1.8 prime. As far as crop goes I think this set up will get you going for awhile.

Btw i got the sigma 17-50mm for video since it's wide enough and not just for photography.

Thanks for the run through. Appreciate it. Think it's a lens I'm interested in after reading about it.

Also, thanks to everyone else that invested their time with helping me grab a new lens.

Update: Went with the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, pretty stoked to use it. :smokin

Thanks for the run through. Appreciate it. Think it's a lens I'm interested in after reading about it.

Also, thanks to everyone else that invested their time with helping me grab a new lens.

Update: Went with the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, pretty stoked to use it. :smokin

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Hows the Sigma 17-50? I am considering picking it up. I will say I love the 10-18mm. Ive been able to get pretty good shots in low light as a result of the IS. Its probably my most used lens.

Hows the Sigma 17-50? I am considering picking it up. I will say I love the 10-18mm. Ive been able to get pretty good shots in low light as a result of the IS. Its probably my most used lens.

I haven't used the 10-18mm but I really like the sigma being on crop sensor. If you like the 10-18mm I'm sure you will like the sigma as you can cover different ranges of focal lengths with both lenses. I started with only a 50mm 1.8 like most so using this is going well. I still need to use mine more but so far so good. As for low light I'm not sure as I have yet to try it out in that scenario. Like I said I need to go out and shoot more haha

Last edited:
Sigma 18-35mm on a crop is supposed to be really sharp. Good for portrait shooting since it's like a 35-50mm lens equivalent and at a fixed aperture of 1.8mm. I can't wait for zoom lenses to be all fixed apertures and lower than a f/2.8. If the sharpness is there, I would get that over a prime no problem. I technically don't even know why zoom lenses can't be all at a fixed f/1.8. Anyone know why?

Sup  ya'll, 5DIII + 16-35/35/85... tripod recommendations? If ya'll could provide different price points as well that would be extremely helpful. Appreciate it ya'll.

Sigma 18-35mm on a crop is supposed to be really sharp. Good for portrait shooting since it's like a 35-50mm lens equivalent and at a fixed aperture of 1.8mm. I can't wait for zoom lenses to be all fixed apertures and lower than a f/2.8. If the sharpness is there, I would get that over a prime no problem. I technically don't even know why zoom lenses can't be all at a fixed f/1.8. Anyone know why?

basically price & maybe some engineering for autofocusing for still photography...technically some the uber expensive cine film lenses come pretty close with t2 which is maybe gather as much if not more light than an f1.8...

Back
Top Bottom