The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

so i was recently contacted through my IG about using some of my city shots for a realty company's website. she told me to meet her today to talk about it. any advice to a novice dipping his feet into his first business with photography? like pricing, legal aspect, etc. Any help would be appreciated it.

They might just want to buy the rights to it which honestly is hard to sell since it is just a digital copy of something. Don't quote me on this but I've heard people doing this and only giving up like a couple of hundred dollars at most. You can try and sell your services to them and ask if they want a specific photo of something and charge them more for shooting that. But if it is just a single photo, it's hard to bargain with it. A lot of companies will even try to just trade you for things such as sports tickets or whatever. Try not to think so much into it. See what they purpose and if it makes sense, then go for it.

They might just want to buy the rights to it which honestly is hard to sell since it is just a digital copy of something. Don't quote me on this but I've heard people doing this and only giving up like a couple of hundred dollars at most. You can try and sell your services to them and ask if they want a specific photo of something and charge them more for shooting that. But if it is just a single photo, it's hard to bargain with it. A lot of companies will even try to just trade you for things such as sports tickets or whatever. Try not to think so much into it. See what they purpose and if it makes sense, then go for it.

I just met with them. Yeah thats what they want. Its for their site and they liked my shots. She said wants a specific shot of Columbus Circle but idk how I'm gonna get that shot. it looks like its from an office. if anyone can give me some tips id appreciate it (I've never shot Columbus Circle). its funny cause we went from three of my shots to headshots to possible shooting apartments for listing in the future. good day!

Going to be out in Napa Valley for work on Monday and want to take some shots of the vineyards while I am out there.

Any recommended locations for some good shots? Probably not going to have room for my dlsr but will be taking my point and shoot.

Hello everyone.

I'm new to photography, and thinking of purchasing the Sony a6000 in the next few days. Any suggestions on a great entry level lens? One that can be universal to take shots downtown Seattle, wildlife and maybe beach shots of my son in Hawaii (in Sept). if I get into it a bit more i'll add on in the future.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone. I actually forgot to come back into this thread to read the responses. I went with the camera, body only for $548. Should I have just paid the $200 extra to get the 2 zoom lenses? It's an Amazon thing so I can return if needed.

Are the kit lenses worth having? Just wondering if it's better to purchase a higher spec zoom rather than the 2 included in the package.

Any thoughts?

Yes, generally you're better to get separate glass - the kit lenses aren't usually great. You won't regret getting decent lenses - they make a bigger difference than the body.

Hello,

I've recently gotten into photography, my instagram is here -
http://instagram.com/chloealycephotos/
I have the canon 70d and the 50mm lens and the stock 18 - 55mm that came with it

Any general feedback on my photos or advice would be appreciate. I'm looking to purchase the 75-300mm next, or a refurbished 85mm if I can find one. Also, does anyone here take video also? I was looking at shooting an engagement video, and am unsure about using my 50mm.

Family shoot was......a bunch lol. Was raining most of the day, cleared up, then when we started to head out started raining again. Drove around a bit looking for a clear patch and noticed the clouds were moving away from the Botanic Gardens we intended on going to so made our way out there. It prob finished up raining there about 10 minutes before we got out that way.

My two girls were not feeling it much. 2yr old wasn't being cooperative with my camera and the 1yr old wasn't that into it either. Wife was irritated she couldn't find a better outfit so she was in rage mode. Ended up getting some good shots just none with everybody facing the cam lol. This will likely be the last time I take our own family pics without a remote and some kind of screen to connect to the cam so I can see what I am shooting. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

Best part of the last week is seeing how quick I can get pics off my cam to Lightroom then upload the Collection to Lightroom Mobile and be able to edit them with the "full" Lightroom experience. Aiming to get a Pixel C or a similar tablet specifically for editing. If possible may consider a chromebook to give me a bit more versatility.

Family shoot was......a bunch lol. Was raining most of the day, cleared up, then when we started to head out started raining again. Drove around a bit looking for a clear patch and noticed the clouds were moving away from the Botanic Gardens we intended on going to so made our way out there. It prob finished up raining there about 10 minutes before we got out that way.

My two girls were not feeling it much. 2yr old wasn't being cooperative with my camera and the 1yr old wasn't that into it either. Wife was irritated she couldn't find a better outfit so she was in rage mode. Ended up getting some good shots just none with everybody facing the cam lol. This will likely be the last time I take our own family pics without a remote and some kind of screen to connect to the cam so I can see what I am shooting. I'll post pics tonight when I get home.

Best part of the last week is seeing how quick I can get pics off my cam to Lightroom then upload the Collection to Lightroom Mobile and be able to edit them with the "full" Lightroom experience. Aiming to get a Pixel C or a similar tablet specifically for editing. If possible may consider a chromebook to give me a bit more versatility.

Now its time to put your photoshop skills to use, and make a composite photo.

^ might be tough
laugh.gif

Nice looking family though
pimp.gif
thanks lol

honestly I could do it....kinda lol but it's just too much work for me to do at this point and since I'm expecting not to have my camera stolen again we'll take plenty more pics. Trying to get ready to start back accepting work again. Might go to Model Mayhem and see who's down for some exchange work

Thanks everyone. I actually forgot to come back into this thread to read the responses. I went with the camera, body only for $548. Should I have just paid the $200 extra to get the 2 zoom lenses? It's an Amazon thing so I can return if needed.

Are the kit lenses worth having? Just wondering if it's better to purchase a higher spec zoom rather than the 2 included in the package.

Any thoughts?

Late reply, I would have spent the extra $200 on both kit zooms. They provide good value, and cover a great range from almost 16-210mm. The next comparable zoom would be the 18-105mm F/4 power zoom, but those go around for $500 on the used market. If you decide to upgrade your lenses down the line, sell the 2 zooms for little to no loss. I own an A6000 as my main travel cam, and have both kit zooms and they do a great job in great light, if I want something a bit wider, I usually take multiple shots and blend them together in LR later. Also have the Sigma Primes as well 19/30/60 f/2.8 and bring one of them along for a bit better image quality, Sigma also offers the 30mm f/1.4 for low light.

Its been a while since I've shared stuff here.........too lazy to log into Flickr LOL. Here is what I been up the last few months (at least when I've had some free time)

Now that I remember the password, Ill be sharing more often.

#newyorkcity #nyc #newyork #city #street by Michael Rios, on Flickr

#newyork #newyorkcity #nyc #manhattan #brooklyn by Michael Rios, on Flickr

All dope....first shot of the manhattan skyline....taken from Gantry or Transmitter in Greenpoint?
I don't know the difference ... But I'm sure it was at Gentry Park close to the chairs where they play music and they do the mass trans boat to Manhattan.

Back
Top Bottom