The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I think what I definitely don't have that a lot of other photographers might have is time. If I am traveling and I am at a spot, I have to shoot it as is and can't wait for it to look more "beautiful" with nice skies and what not. And honestly I don't care as much. I think photos don't always have to be shot during dawn or dusk but a lot of photographers will only shoot during those times. But I think if I had all that time to let mother nature take it's course, I could take better photos.

perhaps, it is a saying that the easiest way to take a beautiful photograph is to stand in front of something beautiful...i highlighted that section because ultimately that is probably the difference, though it depends on how & what you (like to) shoot; more important is that one does care about/consider those type of things, otherwise what will keep you engaged to keep going?

Those of ya'll that shoot weddings, etc. How do ya'll dress? Might be a second shooter at a wedding this Saturday - I want to be comfortable but I don't want to just rock jeans and a tshirt (though I am considering it if it's acceptable)

you might want to ask the person(s) you might be shooting for, what is appropriate or if there is any particular preference as far a dress code for people that shoot for them...

sort of a random question:

besides IG/social media how do you consume/interact with photography? who are your favorite photographers, if you have any, and why? like outside of school pictures, weddings, and like events have you ever purchased a photograph (that wasn't of you or someone you know)? is it strictly business, i.e. it is how you (want to) make money? basically what is your relationship to photography???

just wondering in what context people here would put their interest photography in...we often, in this thread, discuss specifics in gear, techniques, and every once in a while philosophies; but it all pretty much centers around being able to take better pictures (reasons may vary, to capture some moment, communicate or document better, express oneself, make more money, etc.)...but does it go beyond this for people?

The bastard took better photos out in Iceland than I did. Haha.

I think what I definitely don't have that a lot of other photographers might have is time. If I am traveling and I am at a spot, I have to shoot it as is and can't wait for it to look more "beautiful" with nice skies and what not. And honestly I don't care as much. I think photos don't always have to be shot during dawn or dusk but a lot of photographers will only shoot during those times. But I think if I had all that time to let mother nature take it's course, I could take better photos. That Tom guys is dope though. No shade to his work.
I think you are moving into an area that isn't widely "focused on" real life pictures IMO look just as good as setup planned photos sometimes. I mean let's be honest if you are just walking down the street and snap a picture out of focus and blurry then no. But one where you are in focus and the light might not be optimal.
full

Took a trip to Fallingwater this week. Interesting place and took this at the viewpoint.

Last edited:
Although I'm a bit irritated as I took this just as I was leaving with my iphone and it's very similar - and I've done nothing to it. The water isn't as smooth but I can't say that there's a huge difference - and that took seconds as opposed to 5 minutes to set everything up and then 15 minutes editing it.

2017-07-17 16.53.02.jpg

And one from inside the Laurel Caverns. I liked the symmetry of the staircase leading down to the multicolored cave.

What's your guy's opinion on Canon EF 17-35mm F/2.8 L USM?

It's an old L lens from the mid 90s, before the 16-35mm.

I can get it for about $350, or are there better options out there for about this price?

Went downtown Dallas this weekend to a lil birthday shindig. Afterwards I went out a bit to take some pics which I couldn't really get into cause my battery was bout dead so I ended up wrappin' up after like 5 shots and started walkin' back to my truck. While I was walkin' back I looked over my shoulder and this guy was about 20-30 yards away walkin' in my direction. I kept my eye on him as I walked and when I got across the street he was gone.

Def made me realize takin' pics alone in Dallas at night is not something I want to do again. So yea, def be safe and aware

Def made me realize takin' pics alone in Dallas at night is not something I want to do again. So yea, def be safe and aware
Be easy out there man, you got big plans on the west coast later on this year man. Seems like a blessing your battery wasn't fully charged.

Yea man, it was def one of the better coincidences I've had to endure. Don't think I really missed anything. Was on a boring side of downtown

I'm sure they do, it's kinda lost on me tho lol

I don't have the best eye for within the city shots I discovered. I can do pretty good with a model/specific subject and find a good backdrop but just going to a city and takin' pics I'm like a lost duck.

The new layout of NT looks great so far.....I have noticed that past photos shared by members via Flickr aren't showing. Does this mean we should directly upload here when posting?

kdawg kdawg asked me to look into this the other night. Good news: You can still share via Flickr, only the method has changed. For security reasons, the new platform doesn't accept HTML code, so you now have to use the "bbcode" option. Unfortunately, this had the effect of breaking some of the older HTML embeds, but the bbcode embeds will function moving forward.

For example, pasting the code in the box below in your editor produces the following embedded image:

Code:
[url=https://flic.kr/p/jKWF2c][img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/12311698465_83ad6c2763_k.jpg[/img]National Gallery of Art 37276[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/taedc/]Ted Eytan[/url], on Flickr

National Gallery of Art 37276 by Ted Eytan, on Flickr

I think all you really need is better lighting, I'm going to guess that this is just using the lighting in your room?

yeah I hate the lighting in my room... do you guys buy any specific lighting? Or recommend anything thanks!

^^^Use natural light. If you have transparent blinds, put that down when the sun is shining through and you won't get harsh light. If not that, use flash and perhaps shoot off the camera with an external. Or do a light box type thing too.

LightBoxImage1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom