The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Man i'd love to switch to sony.

a9+g master lenses.

drooooooooling

if only i wasn't 15k deep into canon's butthole :rofl:

Probably last year I stopped investing in Canon gear being that I was on the fence with what I wanted to move up to. I can’t imagine making that switch after all you’ve invested.

I considered a lot of options....went to B&H, Adorama and a few other places to test/mess around with the 6D Mark II.....I was underwhelmed to be honest. Lol

Would appreciate some prime lens suggestions.

I would skip the 24-70/4 from what I read, the 28-70/3.5-5.6 is a not a bad lens especially for the used price. Check out the Sony 28/2, Zony 55/1.8, Sony 85/1.8, you should be able to get a all 3 lenses for under $1600 used. What lenses are you selling?

yeah in terms of body technology, canon is behind.

I love my 5d mark 4 though. cant nobody tell me nuttin! :lol:

I would skip the 24-70/4 from what I read, the 28-70/3.5-5.6 is a not a bad lens especially for the used price. Check out the Sony 28/2, Zony 55/1.8, Sony 85/1.8, you should be able to get a all 3 lenses for under $1600 used. What lenses are you selling?

What I’m getting rid of.
70d body used
70d body brand new in box
24 & 40mm 2.8 pancake lenses
55-250mm
10-18mm
50mm 1.8

hey all can anyone offer some insight about using gels or cellophane? i was asked if i could help someone take photos and they wanted to add color but wanted to check in to see if anyone has had any experience with this personally. first thing that came to mind was if covering the the main light source with cellophane would be good enough. they wanted a mix of blue and red and honestly i have no idea how to do this. i have 2 flashes that i could utilize and an umbrella and reflector and have been looking at some set ups on fstoppers. but having dialogue about it with someone else seems to be more productive and i don't know who else to ask. @fongstarr i recall you doing some stock shoe photo shots that looked to have some color involved. would anyone else mind sharing?

^^^^^Someone at a local photo store gave me a sample color sheet which was used for larger flashes but fit perfect on my speedlites. Sort of like below:

41bpMihehpL._SY355_.jpg

Honestly it's pretty much how it sounds. Shoot just one side of a person with one color and shoot the other side with another. Make sure the flash power is the same to get a balance but then I guess it depends on the color as well. If you have more flashes, another one can be used for the background to eliminate shadows.

Peep this link. It gives some sort of insight on how to setup things: https://fstoppers.com/studio/shooting-color-gels-2723

6-Tori-JK-web.jpg

Took this a few months ago and just realised I hadn't done anything with it - I posted a different shot of the same castle back then but I think this is better. Monty Python fans will recognise it as the castle at the end of Holy Grail.

Is anyone really good at editing photos and willing to lend a hand? My wife and I took our twins first birthday photos ourselves with our rebel t6i and we think they look pretty solid but wanted to see if there was anyway they could be enhanced to look more professional. I have never attempted to edit a photo and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

It's safe to say a lot of folks here are good at editing but you need to practice. Search YouTube for tutorials on editing kids portraits. There's a video there for every single type of photography. Do you have LR/PS? Maybe if you post the raw files some guys here would be willing to edit them and show you some pointers.

Considering getting the Fuji T20 with an 18-55mm f/2.8-4. Is getting a prime like the 35mm f/2 kind of redundant?

Considering getting the Fuji T20 with an 18-55mm f/2.8-4. Is getting a prime like the 35mm f/2 kind of redundant?

Depends on the clarity of the zoom and what you shoot. Like I have a 24mm prime and ever since I got the Tamron 15-30mm, I never shoot with it and it's mostly cause I use both lens for long landscapes. I did though use the 24mm prime for concert stuff and there is no way I would ever use the 15-30mm for that. So for you and if you use the 35mm for say portraits and low light stuff, then I would say it isn't redundant but if you just shoot casually and honestly don't really need the speed nor the better bokeh, then stick with just the zoom.

as fong$tarr noted, it depends...the 35 will be smaller & lighter, if that matters to you/effects how or what you shoot, and though the fuji 18-55 is fairly compact for a zoom lens and is said to be of high quality, it will likely render images differently than the 35...

with many of their previous generation cameras, it used to be true that fuji sensors were designed differently (i forget the particulars but their sensors read color differently that traditional sensors, #doyourgoogles if you want the specifics), but this also caused some difficulties with post-processors, now they basically use the same sensors as every one else but put their own color science on top of it...

i got this wrong, fuji does still use the x-trans sensor for all their apsc cameras, they only switched up their sensors for the medium format gfx, which has a traditional bayer sensor....

Last edited:
Welcome to the Sony Family. I shoot with the A7RII and 85mm Batis 1.8. I just picked up the Sony G Master 24-70 2.8 and I love it. Sold my 55 1.8 and will be buying the 16-35 or 35mm soon.

Sold my a7 and stacking for the a7II. Damn car needed fixes as soon as I sold my car. Ugh

No camera for the time being :smh:

Welcome to the Sony Family. I shoot with the A7RII and 85mm Batis 1.8. I just picked up the Sony G Master 24-70 2.8 and I love it. Sold my 55 1.8 and will be buying the 16-35 or 35mm soon.

I'm leaning towards the sony a7r2. I've been shooting with a nikon d5500 using a 50mm 1.8 for a year now and I think i'm better off selling my DSLR (mainly b/c I want a full frame) than investing in better lenses. I shoot mainly portrait and urban landscapes.

Do you have any recommendations on what glass I should buy for the sony a7r2 if i'm looking to stick to portrait photos?

Do you have any recommendations on what glass I should buy for the sony a7r2 if i'm looking to stick to portrait photos?

55 1.8 & 85 1.8 are both pretty stellar and don't bust up the pockets too much, if one has the bread the g master 85 1.4 & 70-200 2.8 are probably go-to lenses for portrait shooters

E267F0FD-5AEB-4810-B90C-842081A563A2.jpeg
So I had a Best Buy gift card with some money left, sold my unused 70d body and 3 of my lenses to a friend who’s own 70d was recently destroyed by an ex. I came out of pocket $117, could have waited a few more weeks and gotten the A7ii or A7R.....but decided to get this instead and invest that extra $$ towards some lenses. Gonna pick up 50mm, and have been looking at the 14mm & 35mm Samyang lenses to start with. I’ll get the A7R or A7ii around tax time, and make this one a backup. Very excited. Since I got back from Chicago, I been eh about getting out to shoot. The motivation just flooded back.

Speaking of buying and selling camera bodies... that Nikon D850 is going to be hard to resist. I guess it depends how much I can get for my D810 to upgrade.

So anyone going to try and attempt to shoot the solar eclipse? I imagine tons of people are going to try and bracket an instagram type shot with it. Sort of intrigued to see what kind of photos surface after even though I really don't want to shoot it myself.

Back
Top Bottom