The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I was not expecting <$3k. Thought it was gonna be double the price. Fairly cheap for the amount of talent and potential

#howsway??? that is d5 territory...no way it would have been priced more than $4k. the d850 definitely is super spec'd though and looks to be aggressively priced, it's probably a few hundred less than what was expected, wonder if the fact that you can get both the sony a7r2 & the canon 5dsr for (well) under $3k right now had some effect on nikon's pricing...

I love how companies have found a way to make a product that is still different than what is out. I think the D850 is great and just totally kills the 5D Mark 4. Like I love my 5D Mark 3 but wished it had a higher megapixel count, better focus, flip screen and better burst mode. Can't believe Nikon was the camera to make this. I don't even mind the size of an DSLR as long as the specs are up to snuff with what is out. I secretly still love Nikon even though I am too invested in Canon now but the D850 is a solid body.

canon has a cinema camera line to protect, as well as just being more segmented in terms of products; rather than putting as much tech into a single camera as possible, it seems like they are always strategically holding back. i believe canon is a bigger company than nikon (canon also has other business(es) than cameras to get revenue from) so it's strange that they are so conservative...but maybe that how the got to be so successful? nikon hasn't really been holding things back, they tend to at least try to be up-to-date but the way they've implemented certain tech hasn't always been on point, especially when it comes to video...the d850 looks like a pretty beastly update on all levels, its specs have to make canon 5d4 owners a little envious/tight but they have to be use to that feeling by now...

Just read up on it. This may get me back into using a DSLR.

what are you using now? and what got you away from using a dslr?

I love how companies have found a way to make a product that is still different than what is out. I think the D850 is great and just totally kills the 5D Mark 4. Like I love my 5D Mark 3 but wished it had a higher megapixel count, better focus, flip screen and better burst mode. Can't believe Nikon was the camera to make this. I don't even mind the size of an DSLR as long as the specs are up to snuff with what is out. I secretly still love Nikon even though I am too invested in Canon now but the D850 is a solid body.

I'm not too surprised Nikon has done this camera though. Before the D3/D700/D300, Nikon cameras were really lacking in sensor quality. They had to put tons of features in the menus, have exceptional ergonomics, and have great AF systems. When they released that trio of cameras, all of a sudden, they were better than anything canon or other cameras had to offer. Nikon has pretty much kept that up for the most part with their DSLRs. Sony is now the one that is taking chances with camera designs and features, while Nikon and Canon are still doing just the same old thing.

so I think I've settled on the a7 ii and the 24-70 f4 oss

for the price point its probably the best all purpose setup for short videos and a good all around camera/lens

thoughts?

so I think I've settled on the a7 ii and the 24-70 f4 oss

for the price point its probably the best all purpose setup for short videos and a good all around camera/lens

thoughts?

if video is the focus, it might be worth giving the sony a6500 a look, much better af performance & 4k video...

Mostly street photography and short video. Main focus is general photos. Eventually would get a prime 35.

while not 35mm 'full frame' the a6500 is probably a more capable all-around camera than the a7ii, it probably won't perform as well in low light as the a7ii but as crop sensors go it is one of the best...the a7ii is a fine camera just throwing it out there since you mentioned video

I don't plan on shooting at 4K but I have been going back and forth between the two. I've shot on crop before when I had a Canon 60D. I really want to experience shooting full frame next since I'll be making an investment back into gear.

PROD-RGP_MDM_240117Sanc_20.jpg

For what you plan on using the camera for mostly street stills and a little bit of video, the A7II should work. Gives you the benefit of full frame in a smaller package, great for street photography. The IBIS should be great for video, autofocus has improved from the previous generation. 24-70/4 should be a good lens, just some copy variation from what I read. Right now there are 3 autofocus options for 35mm, but don't count out the Sony 28/2 for $450, IMO much better option than both the Zony 35/2.8 and Rokinon/Samyang 35/2.8.

Just accepted an offer for a X-T20 w/ 18-55. Want a lighter kit for traveling. Just need to get rid of my 6D and lenses.

Any lens recommendations from the Fuji shooters?

Nice drone photos. Is that the Phantom 4 or Phantom 4 pro? Pics look good if it is just the regular Phantom. I saw the Mavic at the Apple store and am very intrigued in getting one for travel and aerial photos. I wouldn't even use it for video at all. I just don't want to get one and then there is a new one with a better sensor. I follow a guy that shoots with the Phantom 4 pro and his low light photos are surprisingly good.

Nice drone photos. Is that the Phantom 4 or Phantom 4 pro? Pics look good if it is just the regular Phantom. I saw the Mavic at the Apple store and am very intrigued in getting one for travel and aerial photos. I wouldn't even use it for video at all. I just don't want to get one and then there is a new one with a better sensor. I follow a guy that shoots with the Phantom 4 pro and his low light photos are surprisingly good.

4 pro. First time actually taking photos with it :rofl: been just getting used to flying and doing some video stuff with the controls.

and those were shot in JPEG and editing in lightroom.

I didnt even know it can do RAW until someone asked me.... SMH

4 pro. First time actually taking photos with it :rofl: been just getting used to flying and doing some video stuff with the controls.

and those were shot in JPEG and editing in lightroom.

I didnt even know it can do RAW until someone asked me.... SMH

Ok...that makes sense. Those looked like something way better than what I normally see from the Mavic. I guess I'll wait to see if the Mavic will get updated before I purchase.

Just accepted an offer for a X-T20 w/ 18-55. Want a lighter kit for traveling. Just need to get rid of my 6D and lenses.

Any lens recommendations from the Fuji shooters?

What type of stuff are you going to be shooting? I highly recommend the 10-24, 35 1.4, and 50-230 for a cheap/light zoom option. 60 2.4 is also underrated IMO, I'd pick it over the 56 1.2 unless you're shooting a lot of portraits.

What type of stuff are you going to be shooting? I highly recommend the 10-24, 35 1.4, and 50-230 for a cheap/light zoom option. 60 2.4 is also underrated IMO, I'd pick it over the 56 1.2 unless you're shooting a lot of portraits.
Mostly landscape and street. Definitely considering the 10-24, maybe even the 16mm. I'll take a look at the 35 1.4. The 56 seems great, but I know I wouldn't use it much. I'll probably pick up something equivalent to a FF 35mm eventually. Appreciate the recommendations guys!

just a lil' update on using lightroom mobile for those that may be interested: the app will batch process up to 15 raw files at a time, it takes a minute but it is better than processing one at a time...also even though the ipad doesn't seem to process/be able to view dng (maybe this is just a dji thing?) files, the lightroom mobile file can view & process them

Why did I read more on the a6500

My only issue with it is the glass I'm looking at is specifically for crop too(28mm 1.8 and 16-70 f4 OSS)

So if I make this investment and want to go full frame later on it feels bad

And why is the 24-70 2.8 from Sony soft wide open :frown:

Why did I read more on the a6500

My only issue with it is the glass I'm looking at is specifically for crop too(28mm 1.8 and 16-70 f4 OSS)

So if I make this investment and want to go full frame later on it feels bad

And why is the 24-70 2.8 from Sony soft wide open :frown:

depends, how much use you think you will get out of the a6500 as a system...if you think you will eventually want to sell it to move to a larger sensor, then maybe it makes less sense to go in with lenses for a crop sensor camera but if you think you might keep it as a back up camera or b-camera, you will have two relatively compact quality lenses for it...

24-70 2.8 is supposed to be as sharp as if not the sharpest of all the 24-70 2.8 lenses...but i haven't used it to know how it performs, it might very well not be sharp wide open?

Also at that price with no OSS kind of sucks

Such a hard decision

That is a good idea though, having a compact system and then upgrade later

I think I might be doing more video eventually too so I'm starting to lean more towards the 6500

Also at that price with no OSS kind of sucks

Such a hard decision

That is a good idea though, having a compact system and then upgrade later

I think I might be doing more video eventually too so I'm starting to lean more towards the 6500

i think the a6500 definitely makes more sense for video, you can get the a6300 if you don't need the in body stabilization or the larger buffer you can save a few hundred...and there are some things you can do to come close to that 35mm look with fast glass & focal reducers/speed boosters

i think the a6500 definitely makes more sense for video, you can get the a6300 if you don't need the in body stabilization or the larger buffer you can save a few hundred...and there are some things you can do to come close to that 35mm look with fast glass & focal reducers/speed boosters

I really love the 24 1.8
and the 50 1.4

Back
Top Bottom