The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Something I saw somewhere. Tiltshift video time laps.

And a little something on how he did it:

ME: (thinks) Maybe. Anywho… How did you shoot The Sandpit?

SAM: It is shot on a Nikon D3 (and one shot on a D80), as a series of stills. I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 lenses for all of these shots. Most were shot at 4fps in DX crop mode, which is the fastest the D3 could continuously write out to the memory card. The boats had slower frame rates, and the night shots used exposures up to two seconds each. The camera actually has an automatic cut off after 130 shots, so for longer shots I counted each click and quickly released and re-pressed the shutter release after 130 to keep shooting.

ME: That has to be a lot of stills!

SAM: I shot over 35,000.

ME: How did you capture the mini look?

SAM: I did some initial tests a while back using a rented 24mm tilt-shift lens, which is the standard way to do this. However, after my tests, I found it made much more sense to do this effect in post, rather than in camera. Shooting tilt-shift requires a tripod, as it is very hard to stabilise afterwards, and gives less flexibility in the final look. I opted to shoot it on normal lenses, which allowed me options in the depth of field and shot movement in post. I used a tripod for the night shots, and my Gorillapod (which is much more portable) where possible, but many locations—like hanging over the edge of a roof or through a gap in fencing on a bridge-- had to be shot hand held, and the inevitable wobble removed afterwards.

The rest here: http://aerofilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/sandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html

Saw this on slickdeals not sure if it was already posted or not:

Nikon 55-200mm VR Lens $149.99 or $124.99 AC @ Staples.com
•Designed exclusively for Nikon DX format SLR cameras
•Versatile and ultra-compact with a powerful focal length range of 55-200mm
•Ideal 3.6X zoom lens for portraiture, sports or wildlife
•Nikon's VR (Vibration Reduction) reduces the effects of camera shake, allowing hand-held shooting at up to 3 shutter speeds slower than would be possible for dramatically sharper images
•An ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element minimizes chromatic aberration, contributing to superior optical performance
•New compact rod-type Silent Wave Motor (SW) enables ultra-high speed auto focusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation
•Focus mode switch enables quick switching between A (Autofocus) and M (Manual Focus)
•The lens is constructed with 15 elements in 11 groups

Link: http://www.staples.com/Nikon-55-2...rea=SEARCH

A few from today.

4481046380_241b76da46_o.jpg

4481046216_8a68d883af_o.jpg

4481046088_2d3a2f5a16_o.jpg

www.dunksrnice.net
www.flickr.com/dunksrnice

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

SAM: It is shot on a Nikon D3 (and one shot on a D80), as a series of stills. I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 lenses for all of these shots. Most were shot at 4fps in DX crop mode, which is the fastest the D3 could continuously write out to the memory card. The boats had slower frame rates, and the night shots used exposures up to two seconds each. The camera actually has an automatic cut off after 130 shots, so for longer shots I counted each click and quickly released and re-pressed the shutter release after 130 to keep shooting.

SAM: I did some initial tests a while back using a rented 24mm tilt-shift lens, which is the standard way to do this. However, after my tests, I found it made much more sense to do this effect in post, rather than in camera. Shooting tilt-shift requires a tripod, as it is very hard to stabilise afterwards, and gives less flexibility in the final look. I opted to shoot it on normal lenses, which allowed me options in the depth of field and shot movement in post. I used a tripod for the night shots, and my Gorillapod (which is much more portable) where possible, but many locations—like hanging over the edge of a roof or through a gap in fencing on a bridge-- had to be shot hand held, and the inevitable wobble removed afterwards.

The rest here: http://aerofilm.blogspot.com/2010/02/sandpit-short-film-by-aero-director-sam.html

Mind blown.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portraithttp://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

35k snaps though
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

I'm thinking about taking photography next semester since i'm in need of a new camera anyway.
The requirements for the class is 8MP and manual exposure settings, i personally want a high optical zoom and size isnt an issue.
From this i've narrowed it to
Canon powershot SD780 is
Canon Powershot SX120 is

I feel like the Sx120 is the better camera but the SD780 has 720p recording, 12mp (compared to 10), blink detection and other gimmicks. It is also the cheaper camera so that is another plus. The size is also good, but i'm more interested in a ultra-zoom/Compact than a tiny pocketable point and shoot. I would also consider a DSLR but they are mostly out of my price range of 250.

Any actual owners with advice?
Does the SD780 have as much manual settings as the SX120? Along with the required exposure, im interested in manually changing aperture for depth of field, optical zoom, manual shutter speed and manual ISO.
this is slightly out of my price range but i would pick it up if reviews are
pimp.gif

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 12.1MP Digital Camera with 18x POWER Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD
Outside reviews are decent, but one site bashed on the recording and color quality

Hey guys, I just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC z28. I have no idea if it is a good camera or what makes a camera better than another. I do know that it released towards the end of 2008, but I got a good deal on it. Would you guys say it is worth spending on money on lenses for this camera, or should I invest on another one?

Originally Posted by INFAMOUS

Im thinking of buying a camera real soon, what model do you guys recommend for beginners ?

my dude tells me to cop a d40 for ~$300 and my budget is right around there... any other recommendations?

Originally Posted by xzstrikaxz

Hey guys, I just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC z28. I have no idea if it is a good camera or what makes a camera better than another. I do know that it released towards the end of 2008, but I got a good deal on it. Would you guys say it is worth spending on money on lenses for this camera, or should I invest on another one?

It has a 27 - 486mm zoom equivalent lol I doubt you need any other lenses starting out. Just shoot around with it and get the hang of it. Read the manual and some of the links in the first post of this thread to get a better understand of what everything does and how to take pictures.

What is WMC? I so wish I could take pics of people without being a pervert. I feel odd even taking pics of little kids without feeling like a pedo.
And I guess I have to say it since it is the new international NT word.....but dat mass.

WMC is the winter music conference. An annual week long event that includes parties full of world famous DJs. The last 2 days include the Ultra Music Festival, one of the biggest raves in the world. It all takes place in Miami.

And eh.. girls prefer to pose for guys to be honest. Sometimes girls get weirded out when im taking their photo.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by xzstrikaxz

It has a 27 - 486mm zoom equivalent lol I doubt you need any other lenses starting out. Just shoot around with it and get the hang of it. Read the manual and some of the links in the first post of this thread to get a better understand of what everything does and how to take pictures.
Thanks, I have been messing around with the shutter speed and lighting. I am still trying to figure out how the aperture affects a picture. Does it only have to do with the background of the picture, in if it is blurred or not? Also, I can't seem to get a crisp image unless I use the "close-up mode" for everything else, there is always noise, or it simply just doesn't have that crisp clean look like most of the pictures in this thread. Thanks for the help.

Aperture affects the amount of light that taken in. The wider the opening of the lens the more light that's taken in and the shallower the depth of field of. Because of this you'd generally want to shoot wide open in low light situations or when you want to shallowest depth of field possible. The lower the number the wider the aperture. You should definitely be able to take crisp pictures with your camera, you can browse flickr to get an idea of what to expect and also some inspiration.

http://www.flickr.com/sea...t=0&mt=all&adv=1

Read more here:

http://photography-on-the.../showthread.php?t=414088

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Aperture affects the amount of light that taken in. The wider the opening of the lens the more light that's taken in and the shallower the depth of field of. Because of this you'd generally want to shoot wide open in low light situations or when you want to shallowest depth of field possible. The lower the number the wider the aperture. You should definitely be able to take crisp pictures with your camera, you can browse flickr to get an idea of what to expect and also some inspiration.

http://www.flickr.com/sea...t=0&mt=all&adv=1

Read more here:

http://photography-on-the.../showthread.php?t=414088

thanks again, I was thinking that maybe telephoto lens or a close up lens will help me take better pictures. What exactly would this lenses do in terms of picture quality?

Back
Top Bottom