The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

played around with contrast and other stuff a bit. tried to manipulate the last picture to look like a night shot.
4744514630_d55bb62c5c.jpg

4744514944_2a8365d0be.jpg

4743876877_be463cac60.jpg

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

Son he had Shirley glistening...
laugh.gif

My-T.
Perfect capture, my friend. Excellent contrast.

I agree, great contrast but between the two photos you shared, I like the first one better. I didn't like this one as much because Harm looks like he doesn't have a (left) arm, the cropping at the knees and the tilting of the camera (but that's personal preference). 

Originally Posted by Flaming Hot Cheetos

n00b with a Canon T2i, 50mm 1.8 prime lens, shooting in Auto:
Hey guys, 
can anyone please help answer a few of my questions? 

First, I'm planning to buy the T2i as well, but looking at this guys pics has me asking some questions. No hate, but imo the pics don't look that great. The pictures aren't sharp and the colors don't pop, they look like they were taken on my D40. Is it because of the settings he's using, lens, etc.? If so, how do you get the sharpness and the beautiful, bright colors like the other ones posted in the thread?

BTW, I'm a noob with a D40. Been using it for a couple of months, and am familiar with the concepts of ISO, shutter speed, aperture- but have no real concrete idea how to utilize them to get crisp shots and bring out the color. 

I don't think getting a new camera is just going to make you take awesome pictures. The pictures above don't have much to give that look you are talking about. It looks like he was just pointing and shooting.

Originally Posted by ekon one

Hey guys, 

First, I'm planning to buy the T2i as well, but looking at this guys pics has me asking some questions. No hate, but imo the pics don't look that great. The pictures aren't sharp and the colors don't pop, they look like they were taken on my D40. Is it because of the settings he's using, lens, etc.? If so, how do you get the sharpness and the beautiful, bright colors like the other ones posted in the thread?

BTW, I'm a noob with a D40. Been using it for a couple of months, and am familiar with the concepts of ISO, shutter speed, aperture- but have no real concrete idea how to utilize them to get crisp shots and bring out the color. 

He said he shoot the pics on auto, which would make his t2ia super point and shoot. Most likely the lens was wide open at 1.8, so thehave the bokeh, also his focus might have grab the wrong thing makingeverything blurry. And the color is not "popping" might have todo with his PP or lack of PP.

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

Originally Posted by ekon one

Hey guys, 

He said he shoot the pics on auto, which would make his t2i
a super point and shoot. Most likely the lens was wide open at 1.8, so the
have the bokeh, also his focus might have grab the wrong thing making
everything blurry. And the color is not "popping" might have to
do with his PP or lack of PP.

Cameras all have setting to them. Even Nikons should have a vibrant color setting or something to boost up the saturation on the pictures. You can aslo do that with the contrast and even just changing the white balance helps a lot. Also, some sort of editing program definitely helps whether it is photoshop or even iPhoto. Most of the people on here touch up their photos in some sort of way. And by the end of it, it really is the photographers eye and capturing the right moment.

For some reason, I think going from a D40 to a T2i isn't a huge upgrade. I am not sure how the T2i shoots but the real difference I see is just the video option on the Rebel. I would think the next jump would be to go to a D40/D50 or 7D if you can do that. I am not crapping on the T2i as I think that is the best entry camera out there in the market but don't expect a huge upgrade in photos from the D40. That is what a lens does more so then the camera body.

Thanks for the tips and explanations guys. Have a few more..

I really want my photos to come out like THIS. It almost looks crisper then real life 
laugh.gif

How can you get it to not only look this crisp, but the colors to pop like it does? I have a basic grasp of ISO, shutter speed etc., but my photos come nowhere near this. Is it the lens, the settings he's using, post-editing??

I was planning to get the T2i for the video and what i thought would be better picture quality, but should i instead get a cheaper body and better lenses? My end goal is to take consistent sharp, colorful pictures like the one above without having to go through Photoshop to get it to look nice. Can I achieve this without getting the T2i? All help and feedback would be awesome.

There is really just a deep contrast that is giving out that popped out look you are talking about. That shot was taken with a D40. I almost want to say it was post edited. You have to remember though that this is digital photography and most all photos are tampered with whether it is with just cropping or some sort of color correction or even sharpening the photo. It is just the nature of the business I guess. I don't think editing photos takes that much longer to do and it only makes photos look better.

And get the T2i and just practice taking good shots. Half of photography (if not more) is the person taking the photos. I am sure over time, you can get photos like the one above no problem.

dstylezs: random or not, i like that sequence of pics for some reason. the colors =
smokin.gif

did some re-edits...

4750554090_c1304073e3_z.jpg

4752120544_b31d1b155b_z.jpg

4749909645_4550f22169_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom