The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

4344869167_7aac95c2de_b.jpg

Like, $$$? How do you guys take pictures like this? Where it's focused in on one thing off to the side and then the rest is out of focus. 
You need a special lens for this?

Help me out, I'm a total noob 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

Like, $$$? How do you guys take pictures like this? Where it's focused in on one thing off to the side and then the rest is out of focus. 
You need a special lens for this?

Help me out, I'm a total noob 
ohwell.gif
If you're shooting with a DSLR, you should be able to set exactly where you want your lens to focus. The photo below shows the AF points seen through the viewfinder of the Canon EOS 7D (the camera I use). The bottom right box labeled 'Zone AF' is where the focus normally is when taking general photos. For the one you're asking about, the Zone AF would be shifted to the left triangle of 4 AF points. Another thing to consider is the lens being used. Lenses with a large aperture range (f/1.4 or f/2.
glasses.gif
can produce that affect, assuming you're shooting with the aperture wide open. So, if Kickmatic23 was using a 50mm f/1.4 lens, he might have shot at f/1.4 (wide open) so that the only part in focus is the portion of the subject directly targeted by the AF points. So, the thing to remember is that if you want a shot where there's only a specific portion in focus, shoot at the widest possible aperture that your lens allows (usually a low number). If you want everything in focus, up your aperture (usually, shooting f/8 is a good way to get everything in focus, but you can always go higher, depending on what you want the photo to look like).
Here's the diagram of Zone AF:

canon7d-afpoints0.jpg

I hope that helped!

just recently got a 40D from craigslist.  visited my girlfriend who is cooping in new york city last weekend, so it was doubly exciting to have a new camera.
taking pictures with the intent of photographic depth/substance is new to me, but it's definitely a growing interest.  constructive criticism is welcome and wanted.

this one was just weird.

I don't post on here alot as you can tell from my post count, but could anyone recommend me nice Canon type camera. I wanted to get the T1i but I have been second guessing. BTW my budget is 700.

Does anyone know Hedi Slimane's set up? Does he take these pictures in black and white or is the color taken out with post production?
[table][tr][td]
CF019620.jpg

[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
2011-02-15 _
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
F019718.jpg

[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
2011-02-15 _
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
CF019544.jpg

[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
2011-02-15 _
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
26CF019553.jpg

[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
2011-02-15 _
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

anybody ever shoot with a Canon 20D? likes/dislikes? i know its older camera. my pops just has one laying around and was thinking about using it.

because of this thread - I'm investing in a Camera.
Too many dope photos in this thread.

I guess you can say... posting for later.

9s8: dope portraits. that 70-200 is a beast. def on my 'lens to buy' list, so expensive tho
frown.gif

supra97rx7: i like the compostions. most of the time, i'm interested in the comps/storytelling of pics rather than technical aspects. i think you're off to a good start imo.
dreday: i use a 20d for a back up. yes, it's an older cam, but it's more than capable of producing dope shots imo.

those hede slimane b&w's are dope.

5446437394_e8a9ce2731_b.jpg

5474972470_534563fbc1_b.jpg

5468877778_abf1169a58_b.jpg

5470090388_2f694b6970_b.jpg

5457105791_4648b60c85_b.jpg

5460164211_a26f4f4fd4_b.jpg

5457105399_11111e7e2a_b.jpg

5477385989_63fc2ef372_b.jpg

copped a 50mm f1.4 last night...i've only had the camera for a week but already wanted to experiment with other lenses so i gave in.

i chose it over the 1.8 for various reasons:
-better build
-wider aperture
-pics compared to the 1.8 produced sharper images with better bokeh
-i see the lens as an investment so might as well get something i won't replace
-usm

with that said, can't wait til i get it!

Originally Posted by i rock jordanz

Hey guys. Any recommendations for an Ultra Wide angle lens? I am looking at getting a sigma 10-20mm for my canon xsi.
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

Back
Top Bottom