The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
is the PS plus extra subscription worth it?

PS+ Extra definitely worth it in my opinion.

Through Extra I have the chance to play games that I've had in my wishlist forever for free.

A big AAA game like Horizon Forbidden West that dropped a little over a year ago you can play for free now in Extra.

PS+ Premium isn't worth it IMO.

I thought itbruns at like 40 fps but the vrr makes it look better so 80 with no tearing sounds abourlt right

I thought itbruns at like 40 fps but the vrr makes it look better so 80 with no tearing sounds abourlt right

Wound up switching HFR off and sticking with favor performance. I was wondering for so long why the colors looked washed out and turns out the ps5 can’t really do 120hz with full RGB due to hdmi bandwidth limitations. I spent so long adjusting settings in the tv, game, and ps5 trying to fix that washed out look. Seems the series x is capable of 120hz + full rgb which adds to reasons why this feels like an in between gen.

I gave the favor quality with HFR and VRR a shot but in such a colorful fantasy game sacrificing beautiful hdr colors wasn’t worth it to me. So I settled on getting a locked 60fps with full rgb in favor performance with HFR off. Not sure if vrr will make a difference but I left it enabled.

PS+ Extra definitely worth it in my opinion.

Through Extra I have the chance to play games that I've had in my wishlist forever for free.

A big AAA game like Horizon Forbidden West that dropped a little over a year ago you can play for free now in Extra.

PS+ Premium isn't worth it IMO.
Did just that Forbidden west was still priced higher than the PS + extra was for the year. No brainer right now but will hope the renew price is similar next year.

Wound up switching HFR off and sticking with favor performance. I was wondering for so long why the colors looked washed out and turns out the ps5 can’t really do 120hz with full RGB due to hdmi bandwidth limitations. I spent so long adjusting settings in the tv, game, and ps5 trying to fix that washed out look. Seems the series x is capable of 120hz + full rgb which adds to reasons why this feels like an in between gen.

I gave the favor quality with HFR and VRR a shot but in such a colorful fantasy game sacrificing beautiful hdr colors wasn’t worth it to me. So I settled on getting a locked 60fps with full rgb in favor performance with HFR off. Not sure if vrr will make a difference but I left it enabled.

Your display model has a lot to do with VRR offering full HDR... a lot of them don't have the processing power to do both. Never heard the PS5 itself is not capable.

Your display model has a lot to do with VRR offering full HDR... a lot of them don't have the processing power to do both. Never heard the PS5 itself is not capable.

Nah the VRR isn’t the issue with getting full vs limited RGB. It’s the 120Hz high frame rate mode that limits it from my understanding.

Nah the VRR isn’t the issue with getting full vs limited RGB. It’s the 120Hz high frame rate mode that limits it from my understanding.

Right, I hear ya. I forgot to add the 120hz to my post.

Most displays don't have the ability to do 120hz, VRR, and full HDR simultaneously. Drop the 120hz and the full HDR & VRR is not an issue for most displays. But I still haven't seen where this is a limitation of the PS5, only heard of it being a problem for certain displays.

Right, I hear ya. I forgot to add the 120hz to my post.

Most displays don't have the ability to do 120hz, VRR, and full HDR simultaneously. Drop the 120hz and the full HDR & VRR is not an issue for most displays. But I still haven't seen where this is a limitation of the PS5, only heard of it being a problem for certain displays.

It maybe isn’t officially reported by Sony, but if you Google along the lines of “ps5 120hz rgb” there are a lot of results that describe it. And then on top of it anecdotally I notice colors are much fuller in gow:r when 120hz is off vs washed out on. Hopefully this is corrected if we get a ps5 pro.

Sounds like a mismatch of PS5 and TV settings. Graphic effects is what takes a hit not the colours from the comparisons I've seen from DIgital Foundry and HDTV Test.

From the video TL DR:
TV black level = Auto. PS5 RGB range = Auto.

This might not work on some TV's so might need to set it manually on console and TV to Limited or Full depengind on the mode

Sounds like a mismatch of PS5 and TV settings. Graphic effects is what takes a hit not the colours from the comparisons I've seen from DIgital Foundry and HDTV Test.

From the video TL DR:
TV black level = Auto. PS5 RGB range = Auto.

This might not work on some TV's so might need to set it manually on console and TV to Limited or Full depengind on the mode

Seems like it could be both taking a hit depending on the game. When he goes through cod for example it’s no longer on full rgb. And even with the tv switched to limited to match it looks better than when mismatched but inherently in limiting the color you’re no longer getting that full color depth among other drawbacks. But that is definitely good to know that it’s typically not just the color taking a hit.

So it really seems like it comes down to preference like he’d mentioned. Think for single player experiences I’d rather stick with 60 and full color/textures. Even though you lose that satisfying 120 snappy responsive feeling. And then if given the option for competing online then 120.

Seems like it could be both taking a hit depending on the game. When he goes through cod for example it’s no longer on full rgb. And even with the tv switched to limited to match it looks better than when mismatched but inherently in limiting the color you’re no longer getting that full color depth among other drawbacks. But that is definitely good to know that it’s typically not just the color taking a hit.

So it really seems like it comes down to preference like he’d mentioned. Think for single player experiences I’d rather stick with 60 and full color/textures. Even though you lose that satisfying 120 snappy responsive feeling. And then if given the option for competing online then 120.

If you can easily see a big difference in colour between the 2 modes then I think it's settings.Sounds more like HDR is not on.
The colour depth is the same since its both 10 bit but with 422 you may see a bit more banding compared to RGB but it shouldn't be washed out like a SDR image.

You will definitely lose resolution or graphical effects to get it to run at high frame rates but colour depth shouldn't be an issue.

I now have a 120hz panel in PS VR2 so I might try it out :lol:
I won't get all the granular TV settings though.

Really need to upgrade my TV :smh:

I really want to waste my money on psvr2 but can’t bring myself to. Think if I were into GT7 it’d be a different story. But there are no games really grabbing me to do it. Still feels kinda niche.

Pretty big praise from Linus who's a PC guy primarily and GT Planet's review for GT 7 is also good.

My headset impressions mirrors that of most reviews. Screen is great and big step up from PSVR. Only down side is finding that sweet spot initially but its easier afterwards.
Big QOL improvements across the board with the play area, passthrough mode, new controllers etc.

I've not had enough time to play mine. Only got 7 hours of playtime on Horizon COTM. There's a lot of climbing, maybe too much but I was suprised by the combat. It's actually fun and I wish there was more. There's definitely a good foundation to work of if they were to make a sequel with free roaming for battles. The scale of the machines is definitely felt more in VR. Makes me want a VR Transformers game. There should also be a survival mode with waves of machines once you're done with the game but I'm probably like a third of the way in the game so I'm sure there's more to come.

Best thing about the headset is cinematic mode. No jungle of cables means I can finally lay down and watch Netflix on a quality big screen. It's not 4K sharp so I wouldn't watch a MCU film on there first but for TV shows to binge it's great.

Got every demo downloaded apart from Resident Evil Village. Not even going to bother trying that :lol:

I mean they could delay it all they want not gonna matter

Rocksteady saw the cluster**** that was Marvels Avengers and decided to double down on the GAAS nonsense with less recognizable characters (Harley excluded) to boot.

People were expecting something akin to the Arkham games, hence the general apathy when gameplay was finally shown.

Can't go byke to the drawing board and give people they game they actually want since they already spent millions and years working on this.

Worked themselves into a shoot something mean.

Pretty big praise from Linus who's a PC guy primarily and GT Planet's review for GT 7 is also good.

My headset impressions mirrors that of most reviews. Screen is great and big step up from PSVR. Only down side is finding that sweet spot initially but its easier afterwards.
Big QOL improvements across the board with the play area, passthrough mode, new controllers etc.

I've not had enough time to play mine. Only got 7 hours of playtime on Horizon COTM. There's a lot of climbing, maybe too much but I was suprised by the combat. It's actually fun and I wish there was more. There's definitely a good foundation to work of if they were to make a sequel with free roaming for battles. The scale of the machines is definitely felt more in VR. Makes me want a VR Transformers game. There should also be a survival mode with waves of machines once you're done with the game but I'm probably like a third of the way in the game so I'm sure there's more to come.

Best thing about the headset is cinematic mode. No jungle of cables means I can finally lay down and watch Netflix on a quality big screen. It's not 4K sharp so I wouldn't watch a MCU film on there first but for TV shows to binge it's great.

Got every demo downloaded apart from Resident Evil Village. Not even going to bother trying that :lol:

Very nice first impressions Sir.

Not sure I'm going to make it out of GT7's grasps and into COTM anytime soon. Haven't tried any demos or the controllers yet, either.

Pavlov is calling me, though... trying to find a decent gun stock. Using the AIM controller in Farpoint was another big moment for me with PSVR1. Hopefully, we get something first-party that is just as good as the AIM before too long.

I mean they could delay it all they want not gonna matter

Rocksteady saw the cluster**** that was Marvels Avengers and decided to double down on the GAAS nonsense with less recognizable characters (Harley excluded) to boot.

People were expecting something akin to the Arkham games, hence the general apathy when gameplay was finally shown.

Can't go byke to the drawing board and give people they game they actually want since they already spent millions and years working on this.

Worked themselves into a shoot something mean.

Got greedy as with most GAAS games.

Like you release the base game. People beat it within a week and there's no post game content. ITS THE SAME LOOP EVERYTIME. When are they gonna learn?
Anthem
The Division
Marvel Avengers
etc.

TRASH TRASH TRASH.
If Destiny wasn't really the first to create the forumla that boring *** game would be dead too.

Maybe I’m wrong but The Division was pretty successful. They messed up when they released a full blown sequel.

Back
Top Bottom