The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

But Phil told us they have the worlds most powerful console this gen!
Famb try harder at these jokes famb

All you are doing to showing you don't understand how game/software development works

Last edited:
Lol, you sure are one lousey troll... did you even look at the game?

Screenshot_20240227_173450_Chrome.jpg

Im sure only the power of the PS5 is capable of running that 2D game at 120hrz. What TV do you have buddy?
I believe the game's director already said on Twitter the features will be patched into the Xbox version

Got no jokes

Feel horrible for people that lost their jobs

Game development industry is in a rough place right now, that I honestly don't know how it gets out of.
My coworker is getting only 12 hrs and might lose his job, as I tried to go back to my old job to save him, they’re not hiring. I asked to let me know whenever there’s an opportunity in the office so I can go back and he can take my full time. Really hard for me as he’s a solid worker. I don’t like my old job as it’s just sitting down and I like to move around. But I’d go back to save him from being laid off.

Finished TLOU 1 over the weekend for my 100th platinum. :pimp:

Such an amazing game.

Troy Baker and especially Ashley Johnson did their thing man.

Now on to the emotional roller coaster that is TLOU 2. :lol::smh::frown:
crazy.

plat in lou1 and lou2 seem impossible.

on my list of games i need to plat, along with elden ring smh.

crazy.

plat in lou1 and lou2 seem impossible.

on my list of games i need to plat, along with elden ring smh.

TLOU 1 platinum isn't bad at all.

Just basically play the game , do a few random events and get all the collectibles.

One thing you have to watch out for are the optional conversations and Ellie's jokes but if you miss anything you can always cleanup in chapter select after beating the game.

The OG TLOU on PS3 plat was much harder because you had to beat the game on the hardest difficulty (Grounded) and there were multiplayer trophies (the bane of my trophy hunting existence :lol:).

TLOU 2 plat is similar just that you have to do basically 2 playthroughs to max out the main character(s) and weapon upgrades.

There are trophies for beating the game with Permadeath and Grounded settings but they are not required for the plat.

Going through the backlog and playing control. Good game but I can see why people hate it. Game doesn't hold your hand the map is confusing as **** and gunplay doesn’t feel satisfying

Good looks on this.

Control is in my backlog too and EYE plan to get to IT this year too.

That along with Days Gone.

TLOU 1 platinum isn't bad at all.

Just basically play the game , do a few random events and get all the collectibles.

One thing you have to watch out for are the optional conversations and Ellie's jokes but if you miss anything you can always cleanup in chapter select after beating the game.

The OG TLOU on PS3 plat was much harder because you had to beat the game on the hardest difficulty (Grounded) and there were multiplayer trophies (the bane of my trophy hunting existence :lol:).

TLOU 2 plat is similar just that you have to do basically 2 playthroughs to max out the main character(s) and weapon upgrades.

There are trophies for beating the game with Permadeath and Grounded settings but they are not required for the plat.
Pretty much what they said. Most annoying thing in part 1 is the Ellie jokes cause you could take one step and she will stop doing them. Part 2 is easy. Takes maybe 2 play throughs. Ju

Any info on why the industry is in this spot? Or links for more insight?

It seems like budgets are getting bigger, and development cycles are lasting longer. Which on a surface level would make you think that less staff doesn’t add up.
I'll spare you the long paragraphs for now and just give you the bullet points

-Hardware is more expensive to make, and Sony doesn't get the late-in-life cycle relief in component cost decreasing. Savings they could have used to decrease the console price to attract more consumers

-The console market is hardly growing at all now. So less consumers to support spending by Sony

-Development costs have increased a lot, for different reasons. Some good, some bad, some expected, some driven by consumer behavior.

-The consumers that are in the market behave in a way that tightens the squeeze. Mainly, they don't play a lot of games for a lot of hours. They play a few games for a lot of hours. So if you aren't making one of those selected games, your game has to be a hit. This is one of the reasons Sony has been chasing a game-as-a-service hit so hard.

-This day was coming for Sony. Them taking a bigger share of the console market kinda delayed it, but from leaks and the FTC trial it was clear they knew "winning the console war" was never gonna be enough to sustain the business.

All the moves you see MS and Sony making are just responses to tougher market conditions in the face of investors still wanting to see healthy margins.

For the status quo to continue either:

The console market has to start growing at a decent clip. Don't see this happening
-Consumer behavior has to change. Don't see this happening
-Development costs have to shrink. Hard to do, some stuff can be done, but it won't be popular with anyone besides investors

I'll spare you the long paragraphs for now and just give you the bullet points

-Hardware is more expensive to make, and Sony doesn't get the late-in-life cycle relief in component cost decreasing. Savings they could have used to decrease the console price to attract more consumers

-The console market is hardly growing at all now. So less consumers to support spending by Sony

-Development costs have increased a lot, for different reasons. Some good, some bad, some expected, some driven by consumer behavior.

-The consumers that are in the market behave in a way that tightens the squeeze. Mainly, they don't play a lot of games for a lot of hours. They play a few games for a lot of hours. So if you aren't making one of those selected games, your game has to be a hit. This is one of the reasons Sony has been chasing a game-as-a-service hit so hard.

-This day was coming for Sony. Them taking a bigger share of the console market kinda delayed it, but from leaks and the FTC trial it was clear they knew "winning the console war" was never gonna be enough to sustain the business.

All the moves you see MS and Sony making are just responses to tougher market conditions in the face of investors still wanting to see healthy margins.

For the status quo to continue either:

The console market has to start growing at a decent clip. Don't see this happening
-Consumer behavior has to change. Don't see this happening
-Development costs have to shrink. Hard to do, some stuff can be done, but it won't be popular with anyone besides investors

I wonder how coincidental the timing of this is with Microsoft basically taking the L in the console war. And if we’re now in the complacent Sony phase of things, now that those massive budget critically acclaimed (but not large profit margin producing) titles presumably helped them put Xbox out. And they feel without a direct competitor there isn’t as big of an incentive to make these types of games.

I wonder how coincidental the timing of this is with Microsoft basically taking the L in the console war. And if we’re now in the complacent Sony phase of things, now that those massive budget critically acclaimed (but not large profit margin producing) titles presumably helped them put Xbox out. And they feel without a direct competitor there isn’t as big of an incentive to make these types of games.
This isn't just about the "console war" though. These things are affecting the entire industry

All AAA devs are facing them

1st party publishing is still a profit-driven enterprise, even putting aside driving console sales.

Phil Spencer said years ago that Xbox is not competing with just Sony but the general entertainment market. I think that holds true for Sony too. For everyone. Outselling Microsoft means little outside internet debates

Sony fans laughed it off as an excuse, but the same market conditions that squeezed them into being #3 because they were third, are coming for Sony even though they are a distant #2.

Jim Ryan spelled out the squeeze they were facing but people still didn't really pay attention

People were too focused on who was selling more consoles and getting a bigger share of the pie, and not enough people were talking about pie had stopped growing.

Sony is not being complacent, IMO, they just know things can't be business as usual. They tried some things, but unfortunately for them, they didn't take off (VR, greenlighting all those games-as-a-service projects).

So the time has come to try some other things. Unfortunately, those include more layoffs

If anything, Sony's success has delayed some choices. But the market is the market, investors want to see margins at a certain level, so it is what it is.

Last edited:
These premier titles like RDR2 exceeded the biggest movies of our generation in terms of sales, and each game costs $69.99 compared to a movie ticket cost.

Giant movies get both box office sales—and home media I guess if people buy it digitally or physically, but still pales in comparisons to the biggest video game titles and their back-end online cash grabs. Go back and compare RDR2’s money to some of the biggest box office and media earnings, it’s why streaming viewing content is going toward video games.

The siphoning of the funding at smaller makers to mid-sized that aren’t Rockstar, completely over leverages everything to those big maker companies and their biggest titles. Sony owns Insomniac, etc.

Yeah they want less time and better games by the smaller developers, but how are those games going to break out to market or make any money?

Back
Top Bottom