The Official SLEEP Thread - All Things ZZZ Related

Hey NT Fam -

As I've gotten older I've realized the importance of sleep and especially working in the sleep industry (Mattress Firm) I have learned a lot and wanted to get an open thread to share some of my insights on sleep. It's information I wish I had when I was younger and now value.

Sleep is the greatest legal performance enhancing drug that most people are probably neglecting.

Age 14-17 its recommended you get 8-10 hours of sleep.
Age 18-64 its recommended you get 7-9 hours of sleep.
Age 65+ its recommended you get 7-8 hours.

It's important to invest in a quality mattress that best fits your sleeping needs.

If you're a back sleeper a firmer mattress is recommended.
If you're a side or side/back sleeper a medium mattress is recommended.
If you're a stomach sleeper a soft mattress is recommended.

The types of mattresses you might want to consider :

Traditional Inner-Spring (coil) mattress.
All Foam
Hybrid (Top Half Foam w/ Coils underneath - 50/50 composition)

The advantages of a quality all foam mattress would be they are less likely to get body impressions within the mattress overtime vs a traditional feel and if you get a quality all foam mattress it will help to regulate your sleeping temperature. Solid, high quality foam is paramount to proper mattress structure, and durability.

If you buy a new mattress there is a break in period, just like any new pair of shoes where the mattress will be firmer for the first few weeks. You should rotate your new mattress once a month for the few months to help break your mattress in evening and it's good mattress maintenance to rotate your mattress twice a year to help with body impressions.

Investing into an adjustable base if you can find one on-sale is a game changer on your sleep as well. Being able to adjust the head and feet up at the same time helps reduce lower back pain as it takes pressure off your lower back by putting the weight of your upper back and legs onto the mattress.

For those needing an assist with falling asleep should try Melatonin and may use medical marijuana to assist with falling and getting a goodnight sleep.

One hour of iphone use before bed will delay the onset of melatonin production by about 3 hours (your peak melatonin levels will also be about 50% less)

There are many tracks you can find in itunes to assist with getting a good deep sleep or to assist with relaxing the mind to fall asleep - Search "Deep Sleep Music"

It's also important to keep your room as dark as possible and limit light while sleeping. If needed can invest in a sleep mask over your eyes if it's not possible to make the room naturally dark.

If you have any tips, questions feel free to leave in the thread below.

Last edited:
I always reference this article when it comes to The Sleep

An old True Hoop Blog Post on The Science of Sleep

The science of sleep

“For me, sleeping well could mean the difference between putting up 30 points and living with 15.”

-Steve Nash

Good sleep is crucial.

An NBA blogger on assignment in Boston who tossed and turned on his cousin’s air mattress the night before and so got barely a wink of it can tell you that. So can Stephan Fabregas.

“Scientifically speaking, a single night without sleep is the equivalent to being legally drunk, and if you’re getting four or five hours a night, every night”—Fabregas, who seems really well rested, demonstrates a sharp downward slope with his hand—“your performance goes like that.”

Fabregas is a research scientist with ZEO—a company that’s developed a headband device users wear in the comfort of their own bed that measures sleep architecture, analyzes it, and translates it to a simple sleep score. He and ZEO are of the mind that improved sleep quality can significantly improve physical and cognitive performance—to say nothing of general well being—and so has broad application in the wide world of sports.

The science has their back.

Sleep, or a lack of it, profoundly depresses mood, memory, strength, speed, muscle tissue repair, immune function, and a laundry list of other systems. And, professional athletes, he added, are often more affected than the general population by sleep disorders.

TrueHoop at MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
The Role of Analytics in Labor Negotiations and an Absent Perspective

Everything you know about basketball is wrong

On Bill James the writer

The future of stats is video

“They’re traveling from city to city, so they have no regular sleep schedule. They have no regular performance schedule either: sometimes they’re asked to perform at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, sometimes they’re asked to perform at night. On the other end of that, after a game stops they’re up partying all night and then they have to get up in the morning.”

In addition to the lifestyle factors that cause sleep issues in athletes, their superb conditioning can, counterintuitively, affect their sleep as well. Body mass index is, independent of body fat ratio, a contributor to sleep apnea. In other words, the more muscle an athlete carries—we’re looking at you here LeBron—the more likely they are to suffer sleep disordered breathing and the many complications it triggers.

This isn’t a fact the sporting world is ignorant to. But despite the reality that improving athlete’s sleep often requires just a few simple fixes (cutting caffeine, lowering bedroom temperature, etc.) diagnosing the problem is tricky: getting a good measure of sleep quality usually requires an overnight stay in a sleep lab for a polysomnography—and so often goes undone. Enter ZEO.

“Every time I have this conversation with a player or a coach, when I say, ‘Look, here’s how important sleep is to what you’re doing and here’s how we can help,’ they say, ‘I get it. I get it. How much does it cost?”

Jarrod Shoemaker, a US triathlete, measures sleep quality fanatically. He claims to have gotten his highest sleep score the night before he won the US National Championship.This comes as no surprise to Fabregas.

“Every time I watch a game and a player makes a mistake, everybody goes, ‘What was he thinking about?’” said the scientist. “I’m just wondering how much sleep he got last night.”

Tom Sunnergren writes for Philadunkia. Follow them on Twitter (@Philadunkia).

I think these expensive matress are a gimmick.

I copped an expensive aireloom mattress earlier this year at a discount. I still get the ocassional back pain sleeping on it as I did with a $200 memory foam mattress I had before

Is the sleep number worth the price? Been looking into upgrading my mattress and it’s mad stressful

I think these expensive matress are a gimmick.

I copped an expensive aireloom mattress earlier this year at a discount. I still get the ocassional back pain sleeping on it as I did with a $200 memory foam mattress I had before

I'm thinking maybe you were properly "fitted" for your new mattress. Also if your pain is lower back pain I'd HIGHLY suggest looking into an adjustable base that elevates your head AND feet. Would be compatiable with your Airloom.

Is the sleep number worth the price? Been looking into upgrading my mattress and it’s mad stressful

Personally not a huge fan -- You can get a nice setup, but going to cost you closer to $10k.

I'd look at getting a good quality all foam mattress or a Hybrid, can get something just as nice or better for a lot less.

In need of a new mattress too so I’ll be lurking

DM if I can help at all. I do get 20% off anytime Friends and Family from MattressFirm.com ON TOP OF the current sale promos.

120 Day "Sleep Happy Guarantee" on all Mattresses and everything has a FULL 10 year Warranty!

Got a lot of DM's asking about choosing a good inner-spring mattress.

When comparing QUALITY look at the coil count of the mattress. Can Range from 400 coils to 3000 coils.

The more coils the more support and most importantly the longer its going to last before you start to see body impressions within the mattress.

There are also different gauge coils that are going to have more/less resistance to help make the mattress firmer or softer.

Also need to find the right comfort level (padding/memory foam) for your specific sleep needs

I'm glad high schools are starting later now, teens need that sleep.

Absolutely - I see more and more parents realizing the importance of a good mattress and the key to a goodnight sleep. Just wish I had truly understood this when I was younger myself!

I get 6 hours if I'm lucky

Gotta find a way to make some time -- Your body will thank you, and you will find yourself having a more productive and quality day when you do get those extra hours in!

IF absolutely not possible, but sure you're doing everything you can to get the most QUALITY sleep out of those 6 hours!

Back
Top Bottom