The Official SLEEP Thread - All Things ZZZ Related

Melatonin makes my dreams too vivid. Like my mind is so active during the dream it feels like I didn't even sleep.

Might try taking a lower dosage -- Also not recommended to take every night, but many have found success in using it to help fall asleep when they're having trouble.

Purchased this last July, best purchase I made in a while.

Essentially Amazon's counter to the Casper Mattress

Amazon product ASIN B00Q7EPSHI

Lol, I have this exact same mattress and I hate it. I run hot and it does not release heat at all. It seems to retain heat. I can only sleep on it the winter with the windows open. I don’t dare use it in the warmer months.

Btw, it’s not Amazon’s answer to Casper. Casper was actually the answer to other bed in a box compAnies. Zinus was selling this under the Sleep Revolution line for years. Sams club was the only brick an mortar to carry the Sleep Revolution branded mattress for many years. When bed and a box compAnies began to take off Zinus dropped the Sleep Revolution and now it’s a Zinus mattress.

I only know because my cousin worked for Mattress firm back in 05, had one and raved about it. Was going leave mattress firm sell these due the enormous mark up. He only had to sell one a month. Buy for 12 at $75 ea and depending on the customer sell for &1500 to $2500. Only thing, in 05 people couldn’t grasp a mattress being delivered in a box.

I’m trying to get a mattress in a box.
I’ve looked at some of those and haven’t made a solid decision as it is important. Looking to spend like 300 bucks. I don’t need anything fancy bc I’ll be moving again in July. So something affordable, easy, and quality of sleep

I def need more/ better sleep...night time doesnt do it for me, seems like the best rest I get is a nap at some point in the day

You work in the sleep industry?

I do - I work for Mattress Firm. They put all employees through a 3 week class to learn about sleep and I've decided to learn a lot independently for myself. Since making positive changes to my sleep never felt better, have productive days and overall much happier. I use to have horrible sleeping habits and never invested in quality sleep.

I’m trying to get a mattress in a box.
I’ve looked at some of those and haven’t made a solid decision as it is important. Looking to spend like 300 bucks. I don’t need anything fancy bc I’ll be moving again in July. So something affordable, easy, and quality of sleep

I would try to get something a little more expensive if you can -- Many places offer interest free financing to assist financially. Right now you can find 2018 Floor Model Closeouts, often 50-70% off (Can Pick Up A Quality $1k Floor Model for $300), which would be the route I would go.

For those taking melatonin, do you guys sleep in a pitch black room and sleep with a sleeping mask? Feel like melatonin is more of a last resort thing since your body naturally produces it when it’s dark.

Literally just bought a new mattress last month. Came with one of those bases that tilt, I hate it.

I love the mattress, but the base is a gimmick imo.

Got a medium-firm hybrid memory foam mattress.

Now I just need to get a memory foam pillow

Literally just bought a new mattress last month. Came with one of those bases that tilt, I hate it.

I love the mattress, but the base is a gimmick imo.

Got a medium-firm hybrid memory foam mattress.

Now I just need to get a memory foam pillow

Did you get one that elevates your head and feet? Depends if you're using it for health/comfort or entertainment. I use mine almost every night.

I think even if you only use it occasionally when you aren't feeling well and want to sit up or to help with acid reflux it pays for itself overtime.

Great video with lots of truths to it!
  • Manufacturers do make almost identical mattresses and name the differently to different retailers. It's best to compare by looking at the specific brand and line (ie - Simmons Beautyrest - Platinum Line) as all retailers will carry the same brand and line, and look at the different specs in each of that particular line to price shop.
  • Most of the big brands are owned by the same parent / umbrella company.
  • Mark-up is high on mattresses, just like jewelry. Take time to price shop and wait for big sales (Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July & Black Friday). You can usually haggle on top of sales as well.
With this being said, sleep is still extremely important and getting the RIGHT mattress for YOU is important. It's advisable to talk to a sleep expert to find the right type of mattress based on your sleeping habits and your sleeping needs. Also, don't go cheap on a mattress... Goes back to the old saying "You get what you pay for" - You don't need to spend $5,000-$10,000 for a quality mattress, but definitely do invest more than a few hundred bucks. Most places will offer interest free financing with long terms -- Always good to take advantage of using their banks money as opposed to your own, as long as you are responsible with making payments on-time.

Any questions feel free to comment below or send a PM.

I agree with some of your points wildchild916 wildchild916 especially that sleep is important. I think people just fall into the hype of the price of a good mattress. The most important factor is what feels comfortable regardless of price. My brother spent 4k on a mattress because it was supposed to be the "best" and couldn't sleep well after a few weeks. Don't fall into the hype of name brands or price and just buy what feels comfortable to you. Price and name brands do not equal a good nights sleep.

I agree with some of your points wildchild916 wildchild916 especially that sleep is important. I think people just fall into the hype of the price of a good mattress. The most important factor is what feels comfortable regardless of price. My brother spent 4k on a mattress because it was supposed to be the "best" and couldn't sleep well after a few weeks. Don't fall into the hype of name brands or price and just buy what feels comfortable to you. Price and name brands do not equal a good nights sleep.

Absolutely - You cannot just drop a bunch of money and expect it to be the right mattress for you. You really need to be "fitted" for your mattress and what is best for YOU.
Also - it's very common to not sleep well after a few weeks on a new mattress, many people will actually wake up sore for the first few weeks.
If your old mattress wasn't giving your body proper support, your body does require several weeks to adapt, as well as requiring several weeks for the mattress to be broken in or conditioned.

I'm back on night shift/12 hours and I sleep like crap during the day, average 3 or 4 hours. Blacked out the room as much as I could and took melatonin. I started at 5 mg but that didn't do anything so I jumped to 10mg. It made my mind race all day/night and I really feel more tired when the alarm rings. You guys that take it with success, do you take it everyday? and what dosage works for you?

I'm back on night shift/12 hours and I sleep like crap during the day, average 3 or 4 hours. Blacked out the room as much as I could and took melatonin. I started at 5 mg but that didn't do anything so I jumped to 10mg. It made my mind race all day/night and I really feel more tired when the alarm rings. You guys that take it with success, do you take it everyday? and what dosage works for you?

I take one 10mg 30 minutes prior to when I want to fall asleep, but not nightly -- only when I feel needed. I also leave a Deep Sleep track on repeat from my itunes (low volume).
I also can't stress the importance of having a comfortable mattress.

Seems like you're doing it right by keeping the room blacked out and be sure to stay off electronics at least one hour prior to falling asleep if and when possible. 3 or 4 hours is not enough. If you can't get your body to sleep during the day I would suggest to go as far as to look at other employment/career opportunities to work day shift if possible.

I get about 5 hours of sleep a night MAX during the week. Then on Saturday I’ll sleep in and get 8 hours plus maybe a nap on the couch if I have nothing to do that day.

I get up for work around 3am and it’s reallllllly hard to go to bed at 6 or 7 pm. My girl doesn’t get home until 6 so if I wanna see her at all I gotta stay up.

I havent been sleeping til like 5 or 6 am all summer how can I reset my body clock smh

Back
Top Bottom