The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

Some amazing tennis, followed by the sudden, random dip in form by both players.  Good, but strange. 

Fantastic hold by Nole to win the match.  

Makes things easier for the 2nd spot though! 

What more does Rafa have to accomplish to be unanimously declared the best tennis player of all-time over Laver, Sampras, and Fed?

What more does Rafa have to accomplish to be unanimously declared the best tennis player of all-time over Laver, Sampras, and Fed?

I just can't do it. I root for the guy and admire his game. But growing up watching Pete Sampras...I just can't. lol.

I just can't do it. I root for the guy and admire his game. But growing up watching Pete Sampras...I just can't. lol.
I know what you mean.  I started watching tennis in 1990, so for me, that was my "tennis-prime".  As much fun as the current players are, I just can't root for any of them.  I like Djo, Rafa, Muzz, etc, but I wouldn't call myself their "fan".   My "fandom" left when Agassi retired.  The feeling towards the current generation of players is just different now. 

Anyway, regarding Champ's comment, I might have said this a few times before
laugh.gif
, but IMO you just can't compare generations/eras.  The game's changed too much... the court-conditions, the equipment, etc.  If you want to do a straight-up comparison, then someone like, say, Tsonga (respectfully) right now can probably beat Laver... but does that make him better than Laver in the grand scheme of things?  

I'm showing my age, but Borg was MY dude! However, when I first saw Rafa in the '05 French Open LIVE. I said to myself, who the hell is this punk! Crushing the ball that wasn't meant to be! Rafa deserves the No.1 ranking

I know what you mean.  I started watching tennis in 1990, so for me, that was my "tennis-prime".  As much fun as the current players are, I just can't root for any of them.  I like Djo, Rafa, Muzz, etc, but I wouldn't call myself their "fan".   My "fandom" left when Agassi retired.  The feeling towards the current generation of players is just different now. 

Anyway, regarding Champ's comment, I might have said this a few times before :lol: , but IMO you just can't compare generations/eras.  The game's changed too much... the court-conditions, the equipment, etc.  If you want to do a straight-up comparison, then someone like, say, Tsonga (respectfully) right now can probably beat Laver... but does that make him better than Laver in the grand scheme of things?  

Yeah I feel the same way. Different Eras. However, I do think the likes of Fed and Nadal could hang in the previous era and today. I mean. Blk/red zoom Oscillate Sampras vs. like 06 Fed or Prime Agassi vs. Rafa.....I'd pay loot to see live.

Cleanest Ball striker ever vs. the raging bull would be a straight up marathon that would rival the djo v. rafa match.

Come to think of it....You are right about the different surfaces though..

I'm showing my age, but Borg was MY dude! However, when I first saw Rafa in the '05 French Open LIVE. I said to myself, who the hell is this punk! Crushing the ball that wasn't meant to be! Rafa deserves the No.1 ranking

Nice!

Last edited:
Agassi, towards the end of his career, was able to take Fed to 5 in the 2004 USO quarters and 4 in the 2005 USO final, so it was an interesting matchup.  Would have loved to have seen him go against Nole & Murray too.

Having said all that, it's not just the difference in court-surfaces nowadays, but also the strings.  When you had Sampras stringing his natural-gut in the 70lbs-range, while Fed's gut/poly hybrid is at around the 40lbs-range, you know things have changed.  Take poly away from some of the guys now and they won't be the same player.  Not saying they'll be significantly worse, but you can't deny it's a big part of their game.   Even guys like Agassi, Courier & Becker (I think) have said the evolution of strings has been huge for the game. 

I'm really torn when it comes to comparing players across eras but I think Andre and Pete in their primes with today's technology would give Rafael, Nole, and Fed all they can handle. I know a lot of people may not agree but I think that Roger's mental toughness is lacking and had he had Andre's mental toughness he would've had a better record against Rafael. From a pure talent point of view, Roger is on an entirely different level than any player I've seen, but I think he's a frontrunner and he can't stand up to mentally tough players

^ I agree, but I'll comment more later...

And in case you're wondering why Rafa's finger is taped... he cut it yesterday while slicing some bread for breakfast. 
nerd.gif

e934e35a6ea5dd131b567375fddbdfa8

EDIT...

Anyway, Aepps... I think we've discussed this before, but yeah during Fed's pre-Rafa-Nole-Andy-years, where the opponents weren't as high-quality (respectfully) as they are now, he'd used to dominate early on and was a great front-runner.  Since a few of the other guys have started to do better against, him and put him under some pressure, he hasn't been the best at dealing with it, hence the mental-toughness issue.  

Technology-wise, it's a tough call cuz guys are hitting with more spin, thus giving them a higher-margin-of-error... and longer rallies.  The longer rallies means guys have to be much more fitter than before.  Guys from the 90's might be able to outplay the current generation, but they might not be able to outlast them.  Having said that, who's to say if Pete, Andre & co trained like the current guys, they wouldn't be just as good?

As for the Delpo/Fed match... it was weird.  A balance of brilliance and head-scratching... and by both players. So many ups and downs in terms of quality.  Delpo, up a break in the 3rd, had a chance to seal it, but didn't and left Fed back in.  There was a point early in the 3rd where Delpo had an easy down-the-line backhand winner, which would have given him 40-15.  He missed.  Fed breaks back... and later breaks to serve for the match.  One thing that was evident was that both guys looked tired... and rightfully so... I think it was their 3rd straight week of play.  

Last edited:
^ That'd be an interesting matchup.  Rafter won't be able to outhit Delpo from the baseline, but I think his S&V will be enough to give Delpo problems... force him to hit a lot of passing shots.  

Anyway... just to confirm... this man has no joints. 

Novak+Djokovic+Barclays+ATP+World+Tour+Finals+jhEACZySaORx.jpg

Djokovic vs Nadal tmrw.

Who you got?
Judging by their semi-final performances... I'd say Nole.  But of course it's a different story when it's gametime.  Both usually bring it. 

Anyone know what Rafa's rockin'?

BYzPb7rIMAAP761.jpg

Last edited:
Gametime!  I like both guys, but I guess it would be nice to see Rafa seal his ridiculous season with a WTF.  Nole defending his WTF would be great as well.

I just want some high-quality tennis! 

Rafa not getting any depth on his groundstrokes... He can get away with it against a lot of lesser-guys, but not against Nole. 

Back
Top Bottom