The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Honestly, and maybe this is because I'm only up to like chapter five and haven't had a chance to play it for a few hours at once, 4 is shaping up to be my least favorite. That'll prob change but idk it doesn't seem to have the same cache and feeling as he first three. And I think a lot of that has to do with the new character introduced. Again these feelings will prob change once I beat it and get to really play for a few hours in one sitting.

I don't even know why you guys argue with him. 
laugh.gif

oh boy

get ready for 18 months of this nonsense

It's nonsense on both ends IMO. MS will be fine with Scorpio and Sony will be fine with Neo.

MS isn't trying to close the sales gap with Scorpio and Sony isn't trying to widen the sales gap with Neo. Both are attempting to offer a mid-cycle "upgrade" to take advantage of 4K.

Gamers as a whole will benefit. I'm not sure why there's the constant perception that one is better than the other solely because of specs or sales numbers when both are irrelevant.

Honestly, and maybe this is because I'm only up to like chapter five and haven't had a chance to play it for a few hours at once, 4 is shaping up to be my least favorite. That'll prob change but idk it doesn't seem to have the same cache and feeling as he first three. And I think a lot of that has to do with the new character introduced. Again these feelings will prob change once I beat it and get to really play for a few hours in one sitting.
It'll pick up. I found the first few chapters slow and prodding as well, but it made sense as the game progressed. 

oh boy

get ready for 18 months of this nonsense

It's nonsense on both ends IMO. MS will be fine with Scorpio and Sony will be fine with Neo.

MS isn't trying to close the sales gap with Scorpio and Sony isn't trying to widen the sales gap with Neo. Both are attempting to offer a mid-cycle "upgrade" to take advantage of 4K.

Gamers as a whole will benefit. I'm not sure why there's the constant perception that one is better than the other solely because of specs or sales numbers when both are irrelevant.

all of this

i wouldn't say sales or console specs are irrelevant they serve a purpose but i do agree that the idea of perception that one is better than the other because of those reasons is irrelevant

I haven't been following closely, but is Scorpio basically "NextBox" and technically more powerful than Neo?

Not direct competitors?

I disagree with the 2nd sentence. MS is trying to close the gap and Sony is also trying to widen it too.

Sony has a vested interest in 4K because of their TV's and movies division so they will use Neo as the trojan horse as they always do with their consoles.

MS on the other hand needed to make a move because of the the Xbone's current status and perception. Also to get onto the VR bandwagon, they would need something that can power VR games for the Oculus Rift.

Specs and sales aren't irrelevant but at the end of the day though, the most important thing are the games. If your favourite game is Gears then you will get an Xbone because you want the game. Playing the game will be much more important then the PS4 running multiplatforms better.

I disagree with the 2nd sentence. MS is trying to close the gap and Sony is also trying to widen it too.

Sony has a vested interest in 4K because of their TV's and movies division so they will use Neo as the trojan horse as they always do with their consoles.

MS on the other hand needed to make a move because of the the Xbone's current status and perception. Also to get onto the VR bandwagon, they would need something that can power VR games for the Oculus Rift.

Specs and sales aren't irrelevant but at the end of the day though, the most important thing are the games. If your favourite game is Gears then you will get an Xbone because you want the game. Playing the game will be much more important then the PS4 running multiplatforms better.
this

I hope M$ comes at $ony's neck with the new console and vise versa w/ $ony's new console.

The competition benefits us, the consumer most

When the competition sucks, we get embarrassing tech specs like the xbox one and ps4 for this day in age we live in.

I'd be foolish to say that sales don't matter, but that 20 million in sales difference isn't going to be closed with Scorpio IMO. I don't think MS thinks that Scorpio will assist in closing that gap either. If they truly wanted to close that gap, I feel like they would have shown more with Scorpio rather than just tease us with it.

And are multi-platform games really running THAT much better on PS4?

I agree with your other points though.

I'd be foolish to say that sales don't matter, but that 20 million in sales difference isn't going to be closed with Scorpio IMO. I don't think MS thinks that Scorpio will assist in closing that gap either. If they truly wanted to close that gap, I feel like they would have shown more with Scorpio rather than just tease us with it.

No... ps4 and xbox have pretty poor performance in comparison to the demos they show :lol:

If either one of them paid me, i'd say one is significantly better but i have plenty of complaints about both consoles.

I hope M$ comes at $ony's neck with the new console and vise versa w/ $ony's new console.

When the competition sucks, we get embarrassing tech specs like the xbox one and ps4 for this day in age we live in.
I agree with your first point but to say PS4 and Xbox specs is embarrassing is unfair to say the least. Graphics Card technology advances so damn fast that it's pretty much a given that consoles will be left behind everytime because of profitability and production costs.

I haven't been following closely, but is Scorpio basically "NextBox" and technically more powerful than Neo?
Not direct competitors?

Neo is the mid gen update for the PS4 rumored to have a 4.19 Teraflop GPU
Scorpio is the mid gen update for the Xbone which will have a 6 Teraflop GPU

Xbone's GPU is 1.3 Teraflops
PS4's is 1.8 Teraflops

So Scorpio's GPU will be 40% stronger than Neo's. The opposite situation of the PS4's GPU compared to the Xbone's

Neo is rumored to be releasing in September
Scorpio is releasing fall 2017

They both won't have exclusive games since they are updates so they will share the same library as the original consoles.

Polygon were the ones who first leaked info about Scorpio and this is what they said before MS's E3 conference.

Microsoft originally had no plans to announce Scorpio in 2016, preferring to wait until next year, possibly at its own event prior to E3 2017. This would be in keeping with the company's existing precedent for new hardware launches. This was timed to combat expected plans by Sony to announce and launch the Neo in 2017. However, after GDC, evidence industry-wide has indicated that Sony's timetable for the Neo either has accelerated or was always intended for this fall. Because of this and other factors, Microsoft is feeling pressure to announce both its new, smaller Xbox One console and the upgraded Scorpio — colloquially referred to internally as Xbox One-Two — at this year's E3, or a last-minute event just prior to the LA convention.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/11774294/xbox-one-slim-one-two-scorpio

So MS announced scorpio well ahead of time because of Neo. They didn't want Sony to run away with it basically.

As for multiplatforms running better on PS4. The usual case for most multiplatforms is PS4 running at a higher resolution and equal or better framerate.

For example, this is what FFXV's producer said about the game.
Will we see a stable frame rate and anti-aliasing improvement in the final game? What kind of optimization is being carried out to maximize visual quality while preventing frame rate dips?

It’s hard to give a definitive answer about the final version now since we are constantly optimizing, but we can tell you the specs of the E3 demo. There’s a slight different with Xbox One and PS4.

For the Xbox One E3 demo, dynamic resolution ranges between 800p to 900p, usually closer to the 900p range, and at a constant 30 frames per second. So it is performing at a more stable and higher level than Episode Duscae and the Platinum Demo. There are times when it still dips, and that’s usually when you call on your ally commands, like when you call on Ignis to mark an enemy it dips to 26 to 27 frames, but it won’t deter from the experience. But since we’re able to achieve this for the E3 demo, we have a positive outlook on the final version of the game.

For the PlayStation 4 E3 demo, it’s a dynamic range between 900p and 1080p. Most of the time, it’s about 1080p at a constant 30 frames per second. Sometimes, it will, just like Xbox One, dip a little bit when the GPU can’t process what’s happening on the screen so quickly, but it’s mostly 30 frames. But we will continue to fine tune and optimize the game for as much time as we can.

Don’t worry about the frame rate for the final version, we’re working on it. As far as anti-aliasing goes, there’s a lot of processing for constant anti-aliasing, so we implement it every few frames as not to overload the processing.

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/final-fa...-16-fan-questions-e3-2016#33otAd85HBIvdm9K.99

Last edited:

I agree with your first point but to say PS4 and Xbox specs is embarrassing is unfair to say the least. Graphics Card technology advances so damn fast that it's pretty much a given that consoles will be left behind everytime because of profitability and production costs.

Not even the graphics man.

CPU and RAM... bruh 8gb of ram even in 2013 was sad.

for a piece of hardware boasting to be some technological powerhouse :rofl:

I know that the frame rate is generally better or at least more consistent on PS4 for titles they both have.

The last comparison video i watched was on the new hitman and that was not the case.

It was bad on both consoles and they both suffered frame rate issues at different parts of the comparison video.

I had quite a few frame drops on uncharted 4 as well.

I even had frame drops on ratchet and clank :rofl:

it is what it is though. These machines aren't that great.

Last edited:
Not even the graphics man.

CPU and RAM... bruh 8gb of ram even in 2013 was sad.

for a piece of hardware boasting to be some technological powerhouse :rofl:
I'm going to do a bit of research to see how past systems stack up against their PC counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom