The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

I think some PS1 games can look pretty good when actually rendered in higher resolutions. ePSXe will make you a believer. Of course the 3D games will stil have a low poly count, but they look clean af

Best Buy Playstation Classic preorder pickup messages out. Even though reviews are terrible, figure add to the other minis collection. Still have modded PS1 and stack of copied games from back of day.

3ffce2ca-8aa1-11e8-ba94-0242ac110002

If you're gonna get it, you might as well MOD IT................since the current PS1 Classic library is hot garbage, and the emulation is also hot trash too. Via mod, you can probably get better emulation on that thing.

I bought RE7 back when it first came out, got stuck somewhere where I have no idea where to go next, and stopped playing it. Would like to try it in VR and for $20 I would probably double dip especially since it comes with all the DLC (I have the Xbox/PC version). Still waiting until AC7 to come out before I decide if I need a VR... or if one goes on sale for a crazy good price sometime between now and after New Years. Then I would think I need to buy a Pro to fully take advantage of VR and I don't want to buy a Pro since I couldn't get the anniversary edition so I don't even know man.
It should only be played in vr

It’s been mentioned before, but the N64/PS1 era of early 3D games really didn’t hold up too well. And understandably so. The nostalgia for many of those games wears off quickly when you revisit them.

Definitely the console generation that aged the worst. The games for PS1 that aged the best are the 2D ones, like Castlevania Symphony of the Night, which is still very charming like most games from the SNES. But the 3D PS1 games are atrocious to play in their raw form. They're pretty good when remastered though, like Resident Evil, Crash and Spyro trilogies.

I have a ton of respect for that generation though, because without it we wouldn't have gotten where we are today.

Did anyone pick up the PS1 Classic, I’m a little unsold on it but wondering if it’ll be a cool collection piece

Definitely the console generation that aged the worst. The games for PS1 that aged the best are the 2D ones, like Castlevania Symphony of the Night, which is still very charming like most games from the SNES. But the 3D PS1 games are atrocious to play in their raw form. They're pretty good when remastered though, like Resident Evil, Crash and Spyro trilogies.

I have a ton of respect for that generation though, because without it we wouldn't have gotten where we are today.
Bushido Blade 2 aged well I think

Wish I could get the PG2 x Playstation kicks, but struck out like I did on his first pair.

Half-way through Spider-man. Quite enjoying it, however, I think I liked GOW and RDR2 more.

It’s been mentioned before, but the N64/PS1 era of early 3D games really didn’t hold up too well. And understandably so. The nostalgia for many of those games wears off quickly when you revisit them.

Agreed with both of you. I'll add that the 3D games may still be enjoyable only if you put a lot of hours into them back then. Especially the multiplayer games if you can get your pals (who played 'em too) over.

For people who have not played any of these 3D games and have experience with newer systems, these older games are simply not as good as present day games or even the generation of games that came after the PSX/N64/Saturn era.

Wish I could get the PG2 x Playstation kicks, but struck out like I did on his first pair.

Half-way through Spider-man. Quite enjoying it, however, I think I liked GOW and RDR2 more.

still havent gotten spiderman yet. im gonna wait a lil bit more when its around $20-$30 price range lol

almost done w rdr2 and its an amazing game!

also tried copping those playstation kicks and stuck out. resell prices arent looking that bad. its funny how the backpack cost more than the kicks though lol

I don’t really cop kicks like that anymore but I did manage to secure the Concords thru FinishLine raffle :smokin

https://www.dailywire.com/news/38968/chicago-residents-now-pay-desperate-city-taxes-hank-berrien

Chicago Residents Now Pay Desperate City Taxes For Using PlayStation
gettyimages-1053471888.jpg

Photo by Chesnot/Getty Images
ByHank Berrien
December 3, 2018

The city of Chicago, known far and wide as one of the murder capitals of America, also has some of the most exorbitant taxes in the country, with one that really seems outrageous: an amusement tax that now taxes PlayStation users.

As Brittany Hunter writes for the Foundation for Economic Education, a tax imposed by the city of Chicago targets PlayStation users. It was added to the amusement tax that had put a 5% on activities such as an evening at the theater, concert, sports event or a movie.

In mid-November, PlayStation 4 users in Chicago received a message from Sony indicating that as of November 14, 2018, a 9% “amusement tax” would be imposed for PlayStation subscriptions such as PlayStation Now, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Music. As Hunter notes:

The tax is specifically related to streaming services, so the PlayStation games themselves will not be subject to the 9 percent tax. But in today’s subscription-heavy economy, many users purchase these consoles as a medium to stream videos and music rather than using them solely to play games. Not to mention, the tax will still include subscription services that allow Playstation users to connect and play with other users around the globe. So if you own a PlayStation in Chicago, it is unlikely that you will be able to fully avoid this tax.

Americans for Tax Reform reported of the city’s implementation in 2015 of a “cloud tax” to add to the already existing amusement tax, “The new policy is predicted to generate an extra $12 million in annual revenue for the city, and is seen by many as a feeble attempt to quench the city’s $430 million budget deficit, and the $530 million in increased payments to police and fire fighter pension funds for 2016 … Chicago already has one of the highest sales tax rates in the country at 9.25%. Now, the tax collector can literally infiltrate the living room.’

Hunter points out that although Sony just announced its policy regarding the tax, Xbox and Nintendo users have been paying it for years. She surmises that Sony capitulated because of implicit threats from government. She adds, “A spokesman for the city’s Law Department, Bill McCaffrey, recently said, ‘If a business is not collecting the tax where we believe it applies, the city takes the necessary steps and works with the company to ensure compliance with the law.’”

The Liberty Justice Center fought against the implementation of the 2015 tax in Labell vs. The City of Chicago but the court ruled for the city, permitting it to institute the tax because it was simply a reinterpretation of the existing law.

Jeffrey Schwab of the Liberty Justice Center commented, “We plan to appeal this decision because it has far broader implications than this single attempt to tax online entertainment. Cloud-based entertainment isn’t unique to Chicago, and people take this entertainment in and out of city limits all the time. Therein lies one of the biggest problems with this tax: The city is taxing activity outside its borders because the tax applies regardless of whether a customer actually uses a service in Chicago. If today’s decision is allowed to stand, then local governments across Illinois could tax activity that occurs outside their borders. We will continue to fight for taxpayers against the city’s expansion of its taxing power.”

Apple joined the fight against the “cloud tax,” arguing it violated the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) of 1998, which banned “state and local governments from taxing Internet access, or imposing multiple or discriminatory taxes on electronic commerce.” Apple also claims the new tax violated the Illinois constitution. Hunter quotes DigitalMusicNews.com’s Daniel Sanchez, who writes:

Under Illinois law, all home-rule ordinances must fall within the limits of the unit. So, a "home-rule unit" – in this case, Chicago – "may exercise any power and perform any function pertaining to its government and affairs. There’s just one problem. Chicago city officials have imposed the Amusement Tax on citizens streaming music when outside the "home-rule unit." By creating an "extraterritorial effect," the company argues, the city has "subjected Apple to collection requirements even for activities that take place primarily outside" Chicago. In addition, the city has extraterritorially expanded its taxing and regulatory jurisdiction to transaction and business activities outside of Chicago.

7E9DE0CD-679F-4987-92D1-4FE890EFE60A.jpeg

Everyone at the studio today got PS1 notebooks to celebrate the PS mini launch. The notebooks are pretty dope.

The mini is so tiny that it’s barely worth displaying. You can see the notebooks are 3x its size.

Our studio manager asked if they could display my pair of the Playstations as everyone came through to get their notebooks. I happily obliged :lol:

Back
Top Bottom