The RETRO Gaming Thread!

S5uEzFq.jpg

:wow: @ the cartridge to the left

Hate to be a kid growing up today so much has changed for the worse with video games. We had it great back in the day, developers weren't all trying to nickle and dime you and put out DLC content for a cost.
If you are a kid today, you don't have a previous generation to reflect/compare to the present.

Wouldn't know what would be different if you were born in this era.

WE are the ones that complain about that, they are enjoying their experience

For SF2, cool. Might have been in development.

After that World Warriors, change could have been made.

In 10 years, Mandela Effect will reveal to us it ALWAYS said Russia.

I think the reason Capcom never changed Zangief's country of origin was because it would've too confusing at the time and his ending has him dancing with Mikhail Gorbachev.

If you are a kid today, you don't have a previous generation to reflect/compare to the present.

Wouldn't know what would be different if you were born in this era.

WE are the ones that complain about that, they are enjoying their experience

That's real. As the grumpy old man that I am at 29, I have a Nintendo Switch and the only game I got that came with a manual was NBA 2K19. It really hurts me that manuals with character descriptions, moves, etc. are a thing of the past. I'm all about the green and Saving the Trees, but if I'm buying a physical copy, give me something.

Games definitely aren't made with the same passion either. Music isn't as iconic, DLC is a poor excuse to put out a half complete/unbalanced game. One thing I'm smart enough to realize is that things won't change back to the old days, so I'll just keep appreciating all the posts that take me back to my childhood in here.

Idk when it became a norm to release an unpolished game and fix it with patches later. Maybe the youngins dont care but If a developer has a rep of doing this, I’m way less likely to buy the game on release day, and if the game needs major surgery, i’m going to avoid it all together. Fallout 76 comes to mind.

Street Fighter V from Capcom comes to mind for me.

I will give them this though, at least it's better than putting out 8 editions of the same game. DLC makes perfect sense for them.

Games definitely aren't made with the same passion either. Music isn't as iconic, DLC is a poor excuse to put out a half complete/unbalanced game. One thing I'm smart enough to realize is that things won't change back to the old days, so I'll just keep appreciating all the posts that take me back to my childhood in here.
You KNOW you are my man but I have to disagree here.

Generational bias for sure. Things usually resonate with the individual when they are in their teens and younger. Kinda gives a snapshot of the upbringing.

I also don't think it is fair to the developers and creative minds that are working on these games to say they aren't made with the same passion.

I get the, "Putting out a halfway done game knowing you can make more money off of patches" hatred but I think that is a separate issue.

But I also acknowledge the desire to group it as one issue.

Idk when it became a norm to release an unpolished game and fix it with patches later. Maybe the youngins dont care but If a developer has a rep of doing this, I’m way less likely to buy the game on release day, and if the game needs major surgery, i’m going to avoid it all together. Fallout 76 comes to mind.
I see both sides to this (though I 100% agree with you). Games before were much smaller and worked with smaller windows. Just as an example I’ll use metal gear. In Msg 1 you did ONE thing. You play the game that one way and it’s over. Mgs5 you have 20-30 different modes going on in one game it seems haha. The margin for error is much larger. Look at the worst release in the past decade halo MCC. They tried to do to much and broke the game completely. Game is still broken.

datboi81 datboi81 However, I will say, it is wild to be how slowly it has taken American wrestling games to progress after they seemed to hit a peak during the N64 AKI/Asmik days.

I just find that to be wild man.

Sure, HCTP was solid and SD2, but damn they are so far behind the Japanese Counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom