the thread about nothing...

Bruh
57B1BB6C-557F-4A16-9425-E9F12C1EA204.jpeg

Welp, Jeep "Cherokee" might be no more.

Chief of Cherokee Nation Says 'It's Time' for Jeep to Stop Using Name
Jeep has been using Cherokee as a model name since the mid-1970s, but its next generation of vehicles arrives during a heightened national discussion of racial and social justice issues.
7c563c2a-070b-44ad-937f-50750344f50b_1551911664.png

BY ANNIE WHITE
FEB 20, 2021

2021 jeep® cherokee limited

FCA US LLCCAR AND DRIVER
  • Jeep sells vehicles named Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. It also uses Mojave, the name of a Native American people and a desert in the American Southwest, as a trim designator on the Gladiator.
  • The Cherokee Nation has commented on the record several times since Jeep started using the name in North America in 2013 after a 12-year hiatus.
  • A representative of Cherokee Nation said that until recently it had been several years since it had any communication from Jeep regarding the name.
For the first time, the Cherokee Nation is asking Jeep to change the name of its Cherokee and Grand Cherokee vehicles.
cherokee nation chief chuck hoskin, jr

PRINCIPAL CHIEF OF CHEROKEE NATION CHUCK HOSKIN, JR.
JEREMY CHARLES

“I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, told Car and Driver in a written statement responding to our request for comment on the issue. "The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture, and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness."
NOMENCLATURE
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g30120170/what-if-new-cars-had-old-names/
Jeep has been building cars that wear the Cherokee Nation's name for more than 45 years. In that time, the company has gone on the record several times defending its decision to use the name of a Native American nation on its cars. Over the past eight years, since the reintroduction of the Cherokee nameplate to the U.S. market in 2013, the Cherokee Nation has gone on the record, too, but it had never explicitly said that Jeep should change the cars' names.
Now, as Jeep prepares to launch the next generation of the Grand Cherokee against the backdrop of high-profile name changes in the world of sports, that has changed.

In his statement, Chief Hoskin alluded to the mainstreaming of racial justice concepts following the Black Lives Matter protests last summer, as well as those sports stories. In December, Cleveland's Major League Baseball team made the decision to drop its nickname and mascot. Last July, Washington D.C.'s NFL team announced it would stop using a nickname long considered a racial slur. The team spent last season known only as the Washington Football Team.

dallas cowboys v washington football team

SCOTT TAETSCHGETTY IMAGES

Both changes were a long time coming. The National Congress of American Indians began working to address issues of Native American imagery in 1968. In 2005, the National Collegiate Athletic Association began prohibiting colleges and universities from displaying hostile or abusive nicknames, mascots, or imagery. Last spring, the dairy company Land O' Lakes removed the image of a Native American woman it has used on its packaging.
"I think we're in a day and age in this country where it’s time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general," Chief Hoskin said in his statement.

According to Amanda Cobb-Greetham, a professor at the University of Oklahoma and director of the school's Native Nations Center, the use of Native imagery in sports and popular culture started around the turn of the 20th century. At that time, there were fewer than 300,000 Native Americans living in the United States. "Because of the prevalence of the ideology that Native peoples would eventually disappear . . . Native Americans became part of the national mythology of the frontier and the west and the settlement of America," Cobb-Greetham said. "And that's when suddenly you have Native American mascots and products, cultural kitsch. Car names are a part of that."

Jeep first used the Cherokee name in a 1974 two-door wagon (one available trim was called Cherokee Chief). It has since built cars called Cherokee continuously, but from 2002 through 2013 the cars were known as the Liberty in the North American market. When Jeep brought the Cherokee name back to its U.S. in 2013, a Cherokee Nation representative told the New York Times, “We have encouraged and applauded schools and universities for dropping offensive mascots,” but that “institutionally, the tribe does not have a stance on this.”

Since HNL HI HNL HI davinelulinvega davinelulinvega moe200069 moe200069 mentioned Bolo Yeung a few days ago, I thought I should mention that Mannie Fresh looks like Bolo. 😆

Bolo Yeung
Bolo.jpeg

Mannie Fresh
Mannie.jpg

It's been ingrained in my head since someone else made that observation several years ago.

Mannie Fresh does look like a fat Bolo, a biracial Asian/Black version. He basically looks like what the result would be if Bolo were to have a son with a Sister.

Lakers are so bad without AD lol

I think his career is over as we know it. Achilles tendonosis is a rough rough prognosis. Not as simple as rest and PT. You gotta realign the fibers properly. That’s if there hasn’t been permanent damage. I’d be more than just a little concerned if I was LA

I think his career is over as we know it. Achilles tendonosis is a rough rough prognosis. Not as simple as rest and PT. You gotta realign the fibers properly. That’s if there hasn’t been permanent damage. I’d be more than just a little concerned if I was LA

Is it worst than what KD got?

Tendenosis is a degenerative condition. There's no improvement without extended periods of rest.

Not sure how much info came out about Durant beyond the initial "calf strain" that was reported. Wouldnt surprise me if Durant also had tendenosis which resulted in the tear.

Lakers also approached AD's injury initially as a calf strain as well. 4 weeks will be a re-evaluation for AD, IMO. Would be surprised to see him return to action. But everyone is different. Hopefully he does heal that quickly.

Reactions: jjs

worse in my opinion. With a Full rupture like KD, the problem gets surgically repaired. Recovery is more predictable. Sometimes that’s better.

Think back when Peyton Manning was suffering from plantar fasciitis in his foot his last 2 years in the league. Doctors were hoping he would just rupture the fascia so they could repair it. But that never happened and he was hobbled worse than if he just had surgery.

It’s of course debatable, but I believe a severe tendenopathy is far worse of a recovery than a straight up rupture and repair.

Reactions: jjs
worse in my opinion. With a Full rupture like KD, the problem gets surgically repaired. Recovery is more predictable. Sometimes that’s better.

Think back when Peyton Manning was suffering from plantar fasciitis in his foot his last 2 years in the league. Doctors were hoping he would just rupture the fascia so they could repair it. But that never happened and he was hobbled worse than if he just had surgery.

It’s of course debatable, but I believe a severe tendenopathy is far worse of a recovery than a straight up rupture and repair.
I'm more than a few credits shy of my medical degree but isnt the worry right now with AD that a rupture is emminent? Unless they can fix this tendinosis issue.

Seems like the same path.

Winter storm rolled right into a 3 day weekend in New Orleans for my sisters bday. This is the most Monday-est Tuesday ever!!

Back
Top Bottom