The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

hesalite is made out of acrylic (plastic) and the crystal that was used on the moon mission because when if it breaks, it cracks and stays in place in case anything happens while sapphire is glass and shatters and flies all over the place, you can imagine how that would be an issue in a zero gravity environment

sapphire is more scratch resistant and stronger and just better overall, hesalite scratches and can be buffed to a certain extent (and harder to mold iirc) but it is the og so there are a lot of fans of it and why omega offers the speedy in both

Last edited:
tissot royal oak

1614908384266.jpeg

1614908416252.jpeg

another integrated bracelet and this time its japanese and $6k

1614926483018.jpeg

1614926501876.jpeg

1614926518625.jpeg

Last edited:
Rookie question. I’m traveling to the Bahamas and looking to pick up a Datejust if any of the stores have some in stock. Don’t know much about watches but I’ve obviously been hearing about the crazy demand.

I’ve seen conflicting things saying prices (taxes aside) could be ~5% less there. I assume this is probably no longer the case, but I’m definitely interested in hearing about any experiences you guys have had

couple of pick-ups

i ordered this one because it is stunning, the brand overall is underrated despite having the history and legacy and this one is actually almost an exact re-release of the og

this is probably the best sector dial watch out there and dare i say even better than the JLC that cost 4x-5x more and if its symmetry you want (which i love) then you cant go wrong with this one and just about the perfect size at 38.5mm
longines1.jpg

longines2.jpg

next one is more of an impulse, always liked it but didnt plan on purchasing because i never expected to get my hands on one at retail, i think stock is finally catching up with demand and its becoming more readily available

i was in the area of the store and figure id give them a visit and sinc ei have something to celebrate in about two years i figure id try and get on a list for a white daytona and with a little bit of luck i might be able to get one by then but its crazy that no ADs (in LA at least) will even entertain the idea or put me on any list, its complete lunacy now that the only way to get a daytona is through the grey or second hand market if you didnt put your name down 4-5 years ago, completely disgusted but i digress...

the salesperson in the store was super nice and it felt like i was in the playground and she just patiently let me try on everything that i could (no new speedmaster though, which i really wanted to check out) and after maybe an hour, she listed the watches id like to see in person if they get them in

the next day she gives me a call that this was in and went back to the store and ended up leaving with it

again, i love symmetric watches, i tolerate watches with dates that throws off the balance including the cyclops and this watch is just right despite the paragraph on the dial

great size at 39mm and it has a slimmer lugs than the sub plus the matte blue is nice, good change from the sunburst blue that's been extra popular

tudor1.jpg

tudor2.jpg

ive always liked it, it really is executed well especially for the price

i just didnt like the other with black dial and gold accents, if that was a straight up black then it would sell so much better and probably wont stay on the cases but i guess they didnt want it to take sales away from the sub

ive always liked it, it really is executed well especially for the price

i just didnt like the other with black dial and gold accents, if that was a straight up black then it would sell so much better and probably wont stay on the cases but i guess they didnt want it to take sales away from the sub
Yea that’s one thing I hate that it’s white/black dial then gold/black bezel

nice pick-up, got mine last month and its so damn hard to take a good pic of it because of the reflections

i really need to check the watch cases in some of these stores just because timex and seikos makes good pieces

pretty much whats written on the dial, PRX Powermatic 80 and slated for June of this year

i was close to getting the quartz version that just came out earlier this year but there was a rumor of an automatic coming and good thing i waited

still wish they just got rid of the date though

rfx45 rfx45 beautiful BB58. Really do like that matte dial. How do you like the bracelet?

I've been taking a liking to the blue bezel matte black dial BB but not sure if I want on a strap or keep on bracelet

Lol at what point do you just stop looking at OPs and instead look at other Rolex Models with better features for the same price range at sticker?

retail is not happening for a long time on the new OPs

rfx45 rfx45 beautiful BB58. Really do like that matte dial. How do you like the bracelet?

I've been taking a liking to the blue bezel matte black dial BB but not sure if I want on a strap or keep on bracelet

i like the bracelet, ive only worn it for a day but it feels
robust and well made

its really up to you if you like the rivets as it has no functions but i like it as it differs it from the sub

if i have one complaint its that theres no easy link/quick adjustment

my rule with watches though is always buy it on a bracelet because its always easier and cheaper to get a strap later, lug width is 20mm so options are endless unless you just absolutely despise the bracelet that it cuts your wrist or something

Lol at what point do you just stop looking at OPs and instead look at other Rolex Models with better features for the same price range at sticker?

retail is not happening for a long time on the new OPs

to be fair, outside of a dj36, you might be out if luck getting them at retail as well, it is a shame that you practically have to beg and plead and play their games for the opportunity to give then lur $10k-$15k

i agree though, a time only ss model at $15k is ridiculous but at retail, even if it isnt hyped, a green 36mm is a no brainer if easily available

decided I want the Rolex explorer 1 and not the Tudor black bay 36. I’ve never bought a luxury time piece before and now I understand what everyone means by these AD games they like to play. Or the you build up some history with us and you’ll have a better chance at getting what you want. Turning into shoes where you just suck it up and pay resell and not have to deal with this BS.

decided I want the Rolex explorer 1 and not the Tudor black bay 36. I’ve never bought a luxury time piece before and now I understand what everyone means by these AD games they like to play. Or the you build up some history with us and you’ll have a better chance at getting what you want. Turning into shoes where you just suck it up and pay resell and not have to deal with this BS.
Might be better off buying the explorer 1 asap as a refresh has been rumoured so if the new model is launched expect the older model to go up in price. The explorer is one of the only sports models to not have experienced a crazy jump in price on the secondhand market so you wouldn't be paying a huge mark up on the grey market.

im against paying resale prices, goes with shoes too and any changes to the explorer line is going to be minimal, maybe the exp1 goes to 40mm plus movement update or the biggest might be the exp2 gets a ceramic bezel but either way once its announced just try and get to the AD and be added to the ”list” and hope you get them within a year or two, i dont see the exp1 being a huge departure from the old so i honestly wouldnt sweat it

i mean if i gave a 40mm sub and a 41mm sub in the dark, 99 out of 100 watch experts wont be able to tell the difference id be willing to bet if there is a new exp1 that itll be the same situation

again, thats just me and my mindset on paying above retail

with that out of the way... its the exp2 thats having the 50th anniv this year so that might get a refresh, exp1 a possibility but probably less so but wont be surprised either

my guess however, maybe they discontinued the 39mm OP because they want to make an exp1 with a white dial in which everyones gon’ go crazy for along with a black dial like the exp2

thanks for the heads up leebro.

as for a white dial explorer 1, i think i would still go with black dial regardless. i just really like how the explorer 1 looks. seems like the perfect 1 watch collection that can fit any situation.

Back
Top Bottom