The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Any particular reason why the Bahama's a good place to buy a watch?
With the difference in retail alone, one could justify flying down there for the day, picking up a watch and flying back home.
A lotta guys in Africa who buy big watches fly to Dubai/UK for the night to pick them up.

I know a dude who flew from Johannesburg to Dubai for one night only to get his rolex. He said his watch, hotel, transfers, and dinner and drinks for the night he was there was cheaper than buying the Rolex at home.
Gotta know how to work them angles.. Safe to say most US Rolex buyers aren't jet setters in that sense, and the $1000 savings is pennies to them. I there's a market for everything, especially "medical/medicine tourism" well off Russians will go wherever for the savings. 

I saw an Argentinian guy drop $40k on two IWC's in Jamaica.. He and his son threw the watches on their wrists and the boutique said they would ship the box and papers.

I'm thinking about getting my first Rolex. I really like the GMT master II. Also like the submariner and datejust. Out of those what is the better investment? I'm most likely going to buy pre owned. 

Subs hold their value best. But you should go with what you like most, the gmt master. Also you're buying pre-owned so you should get back most of your money when you decide to sell.

I'm thinking about getting my first Rolex. I really like the GMT master II. Also like the submariner and datejust. Out of those what is the better investment? I'm most likely going to buy pre owned. 

6 serials= no investment, maybe the 40mm seasweller in many years to come will rise in price due to the short production run.
There are only two 5 serials that have gone up in price over the years (not counting inflation) the Pepsi GMT Z-serial with 3186 movement and the 16610lv Y or F serial, with mark 1 dial and insert. I would not count them as investment because they have already shot up in price.

Seiko 5 offers much more variety, it all depends on what style you prefer. My Orient kept perfect time, but I wouldn't buy again. I still would like a Bambino.

Any particular reason why 6 serials aren't considered investments? Just because they're more mass produced or ...?

Mass produced and still in production. The only 6 serial that may go up in value is the (SD4K)40mm seadweller. The production run was so short on the (sd4k). Buy pre owned, unpolished, with box and paper if you are concerned about loosing money.

This probably too broke boi for y'all but, I had my eye on this, probably gonna cop in the near future.
Seiko SRP777
Seiko-Prospex-SRP777-3.jpg

Actually debating between that and an Apple Watch
4euk3hybex1z.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom