The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Been thinking about getting a new watch recently but I have another big purchase on my mind. I'll just live vicariously.

So, are my options limited to the secondary market if I want to purchase the new SS Daytona? Called about a dozen places and all are no longer accepting new waitlist customers :frown:

Wolf Designs has a black friday sale consist of 4 items but the double watch roll is decently priced: https://www.wolf1834.com/item/295002/black-friday/
295002-2.jpg

295002-3.jpg

Do you guys have a daily wear watch or do you just pick whichever suits you best in the morning? Only have a Portuguese rn which I wear occasionally but want to pick up something more for day to day like maybe a nomos

I either wear an Apple Watch or gshock most days during the week. Other stuff comes out on weekends. Mostly because my boss is a pretty simple guy and I don’t know how it would look if I wore some of my more expensive stuff during the week.

love the ss skydweller, the fluted bezels just so nice

I usually switch up rotations every month (or if lazy, every 2-3 months)

I wear an apple watch when I have to wind the watch and are just too lazy but other than that it is mainly just for running

I know rolex is all about precious metals, but it would be dope to see them pull off a silver/white gold toned ceramic fluted bezel.

I either wear an Apple Watch or gshock most days during the week. Other stuff comes out on weekends. Mostly because my boss is a pretty simple guy and I don’t know how it would look if I wore some of my more expensive stuff during the week.
That was my line of thinking too since the watches on the higher ups arent that expensive. Might end up just buying a nomos because i wanted one anyway and forgo the watch at work :ohwell:

Damn.....I'm super happy.... can't stop smiling...

My first nice piece I own is the RW Moonphase. It was my daily wear for a while, but I'm in construction, so I lately I've been leaving it in my drawer. I was saying that I need a daily wear that's a little more suited to when I do site visits etc. I mentioned to wifey I want the Timex Expedition black face and the G Shock.

Today, I get home and get presented with this little gift...(attached)..I'll cop a few different color straps in the next few days to change it up regularly for the daily.

I'll cop a G Shock in the next few weeks also just for work.

Then next year I have my eyes on the Speedmaster again.......but I feel like I should work my way up, stopping by something like this first...

tag-heuer-formula-one-chronograph-black-dial-mens-watch-caz2011ft8024_2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4662.JPG
    IMG_4662.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 26
grats, glad you're happy with the watch

and no need to gradually climb to it if I am being honest, you might just waste your money

once your comfortable spending enough money, go dive in with the Speedmaster off the bat, you won't regret it

lifes too short

Damn.....I'm super happy.... can't stop smiling...

My first nice piece I own is the RW Moonphase. It was my daily wear for a while, but I'm in construction, so I lately I've been leaving it in my drawer. I was saying that I need a daily wear that's a little more suited to when I do site visits etc. I mentioned to wifey I want the Timex Expedition black face and the G Shock.

Today, I get home and get presented with this little gift...(attached)..I'll cop a few different color straps in the next few days to change it up regularly for the daily.

I'll cop a G Shock in the next few weeks also just for work.

Then next year I have my eyes on the Speedmaster again.......but I feel like I should work my way up, stopping by something like this first...

tag-heuer-formula-one-chronograph-black-dial-mens-watch-caz2011ft8024_2.jpg

I agree, you don't really need to work your way up. Just get what you want off the bat because once you get the item you've wanted, you'll ignore the others anyway.

grats, glad you're happy with the watch

and no need to gradually climb to it if I am being honest, you might just waste your money

once your comfortable spending enough money, go dive in with the Speedmaster off the bat, you won't regret it

lifes too short

Yeah....I hear you.....a big part of why I've been hesitant for the past few years on going higher up the food chain is cause I live in a country where I know plenty of stories of peoples watches getting taken from them, sometimes violently (because of this I doubt I'll go higher than an Omega). I got friends with high end Rollies, decent Cartiers and another friend with 2 AP's but they all keep them in a safe, and only wear them when they travel abroad. But then I see plenty of other people without a care in the world living their lives. That's a major part of why I started looking at the Carrera's when what I really want is a Speedy/Panni . I'm caught in two minds of getting what I want, but also not attracting too much attention.

Where do you live? I’ve heard stories out of Russia like that.

South Africa.

can you insure you watches where you live? it'd be a no brainer to do that.

That's standard procedure, everything I have is insured. But like I said, sometimes attention with items with heavy re-sale value, is the kind of attention I don't need. There's even a gang called The Rolex Gang, a bunch of them are locked up now, cause they got really brazen this year, but basically these guys will study catalogues like it was Bible study. They work in groups, if you shop at a high end watch store, someone in the store will tip them off (when you buy, they often ask you to put in your details) and they'll follow you home. That's why I will only ever buy overseas. When you fly in, customs guys at OR Tambo can tip their boys off.

A perfect example of when you're wrist is shining a little too much: https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/watch-porsche-driver-targeted-by-rolex-gang-10324426

Even after a lot of them were arrested...others popped up https://sandtonchronicle.co.za/183325/robbery-gang-warning/

The police even issue warning as you can see from the article above:

"Some tips to keep you safe:
  • Keep expensive watches covered and avoid wearing flashy jewellery when out and about
  • Always be aware and vigilant of your surroundings
  • When leaving a restaurant or shopping centre be on the lookout for anyone who could possibly be following you
  • If you believe you are being followed drive to the closest police station or security provider guard house."
Anyway, I'm not trying to paint a picture that it's guerrilla warfare on the streets everyday; just recently I saw someone with an AP ROO in Rose Gold at lunch....last week the guy at dinner next to me had on a Rolex Sub, and not too long ago, I saw a guy on the train from the airport wearing a RM (which honestly had me thinking about robbing him :rofl:). But yeah, just trying to say that one needs to be a little conscious about their decisions when it comes to these things. I probably will end up as one of my friends who have nice pieces that I wear 2-3 weeks out of the year when I travel abroad. |l

Back
Top Bottom