The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Camo strap looks great on the Speedy.

Seamaster too cold :nthat:

ACE82618-5375-46FA-ADB3-1DE853D535F3.jpeg

Collab is very underwhelming to me. I have even tried and tried to convince myself to like the Octo and just cant do it.

Just stumbled into this thread. Wifey got me a gold Nixon for Christmas , its nice but you guys are on a different level with the wrist game....

what are some good brands to look at for a starting collectors ? only want a box of about 6.

I treated myself to a Baum Mercier back in 2009 when I passed the CPA exam. Will gift myself a Rolex in a year or two upon making partner. In between then, nothing but an apple watch.

dude got ripped off me think

as long as the buyers happy, thats all that matters

I watched this yesterday and I actually thought it was fair. If the DLC is done well I can defiantly see paying $11,000 and he actually paid less. I did just a quick browse for 2014 subs and they appear to be going for anywhere between $10,000-$14k. Finding something like that in that yellow/black is not an easy find so I can see paying maybe a little more, but when it comes to resale it may be tough to locate a buyer who wants that. Regardless of the DLC buying any sub at this point is going to be overpaying somewhat anyway.

Last edited:
Not only is that watch gonna looks like crap in a few years scratches etc but as you mature your taste changes which is why factory Rolex designs are good as they are somewhat timeless. Are you still going to want a blacked out sub with yellow paint added to platinum indices? But if the guy is happy good for him.

I watched this yesterday and I actually thought it was fair. If the DLC is done well I can defiantly see paying $11,000 and he actually paid less. I did just a quick browse for 2014 subs and they appear to be going for anywhere between $10,000-$14k. Finding something like that in that yellow/black is not an easy find so I can see paying maybe a little more, but when it comes to resale it may be tough to locate a buyer who wants that. Regardless of the DLC buying any sub at this point is going to be overpaying somewhat anyway.

once you do anything to a rolex, that value plummets and making something more "unique" to make it harder to find doesnt make the value go up

i can engrave "I heart NT" on a sub and i dont think anyone heres gon' pay an extra $$$ for it, if anything theyd use it to haggle for a lower price :lol:

its fair the sleazy seller said its valued a little less than a regular untouched watch but to suggest its going to keep going up in price because its a rolex sub is not fair to say to a somewhat naive buyer

he bought that for less than $11k price (and probably paid $10k), try reselling that and he wont get $8k from anyone who knows watches, maybe someone who is just like him so i would use that to bargain and say, "hey, i know damn well no one else is gon' take this off your hands, ill give you so and so and nothing more" and that is only if i really want that configuration

id also say dude wouldnt be able to move that watch if it wasnt for the dude who bought it that just happen to have his brands color scheme, i wouldn't be surprised if the watch has been passed around between dealers due to difficulty of being sold and the seller was super giddy to finally be rid of it

but like i said, being happy is the #1 criteria so that is great for him but i wouldnt call that a good price, like the buyer said "well, i mod my car all the time so..." which tells me he isnt into watches like that... first a car analogy when it comes to watches are the worst :lol: and second you mod the car but you try and sell that you already lost money on it instantly

that dlc sucks too and to only have a 1 year warranty...

I agree 100% as far as value wise when it comes to PVD and any other modifications, but I also would never buy any watch as an investment either. I took a glance on eBay just to see how PVD Rolex are selling and surprisingly enough I saw plenty of sales for a lot more than I would of guessed. If any piece I buy happens to retain or even gain value I look at it as just a nice bonus. I think a lot of people are talking resale value so much more nowadays only because of what we are seeing with the Nautilus, Royal Oak and steel sports Rolex's.

even if you dont look at the resale value, its still a rip because dude paid more than its value, id argue that putting that type of work on the watch makes it worth less than msrp now unless its someone that has a name like bamford but sending to any 'ol regular pvd warehouse that does wheels isnt event the same realm for example

i dont know how and who did the work on the watch but its definitely not bamford or other reputable companies that does that or else it would have been part of the sellers sales pitch

i dont buy as an investment either or else i wouldnt have a couple of iwc and a bunch of timexes or even consider a hamilton or a bulgari but at the same time i am not going to pay above retail for those even if the sales person says it'll go up in price (only paid retail or less for all my watches too)

at the end of the day if the buyer is happy at the what they paid and what they got, thats all good, but we're looking at it at a different pov and we gon' criticize

i just felt like the seller was typical sleazy salesperson and the sad thing is dude probably got a lot of exposure from that vid and get a lot of business for free publicity that he might as well give that watch to him for free

I honestly don't know how they have the gall to call it a feature.

It’s a vintage detail in the same way a lot of folks might care about mudguard heights, specific shades of infrared, toebox shapes for a retro.

It’s a bit of same same but different

That guy's prices aren't that great. I contacted him before I bought my watch. They actually replied to me after I had already found, negotiated, and bought my NOS.

It’s a vintage detail in the same way a lot of folks might care about mudguard heights, specific shades of infrared, toebox shapes for a retro.

It’s a bit of same same but different
I hear that and watch collectors can be quite detail oriented (I am) but personally I think it's a little much. The change is so miniscule in hand that it could quite easily go unnoticed by most. Saying all that I know hardcore speedmaster collectors have been wanting it for a while though.

This watch just keeps haunting me until I finally decide to just do it. I just really want to try it on first, but nobody I know can make that happen.

1610730469255.png

Back
Top Bottom