The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

i mean, these things are devastating but im sorry, i cant help but chuckle a bit

He thought he'd sold his Rolex for $15K. Sleight of hand left him with coupons instead​

Hours earlier, he had sold his Rolex Datejust 41 to a man at his home in Blainville, Que., a suburb north of Montreal.

The man known as Marius, at least according to the Facebook profile which would be deactivated shortly after the transaction, had responded to Mattel's ad for the luxury watch on Facebook Marketplace.

"He told me he wanted to buy my watch to treat his wife. I didn't suspect a thing," Mattel said in an interview with Radio-Canada's La Facture about his experience back in November.

Once in the kitchen, Mattel recalls Marius placing a black pouch on the counter and pulling out a silver envelope with a rubber band around it. He remembers Marius removing the rubber band and handing him the envelope.

"He lets me take out the money and he takes back the envelope. I count out $15,000 in $100 bills. I even make little bundles of $1,000 on the counter," Mattel said.

"Then [Marius] picks up the money and puts it back in the envelope. He puts the rubber band back around the envelope and hands it to me."

With a $100 bill still visible through the clear window of the envelope, Mattel says he handed the man his Rolex and, after exchanging a few pleasantries, Marius left.

A little while later, Mattel decided to open the envelope again. This time, he realized, it'd been stuffed with a bunch of coupons.

1711658672495.png

After contacting the police, Mattel turned to his insurer, Promutuel, to file a claim for $10,000 — the amount covered by his insurance policy in the event of theft of luxury items.

He said 10 days later, a claims adjuster called to say it had been accepted.

But a few days later, Promutuel backtracked on its decision.

"I was told that, in the end, the legal department was refusing to pay because I voluntarily handed over my watch," Mattel said, adding he felt crushed by the change of heart.

"I felt like I'd been robbed a second time by my own insurer. If I'd known there were papers in the envelope, would I have handed over my watch? No," he said.

Black and Red, Hopefully a revised GMT? Yellow lightning maybe the return of the North Flag

Last edited:
I have a couple of the swatch x omega watches and can honestly say they're milking it at this point. I tried lining up for the moonphase one and was #21 in line. They only had 20 watches so it totally sucked being the first one to get the sold out message, but at least I was able to buy the Neptune watch as a consolation prize at the store. I don't think I'll ever line up again since it's just not worth standing in line for that long. I arrived at 6:30 am for the moonphase and waited for about 4 hours. Seeing as how I just missed it, I would probably need to go 4:30 if I want a good place in line to secure it.

They killing the desire I had for any speedy

Which is pretty much only omega of current bunch I want

I have a couple of the swatch x omega watches and can honestly say they're milking it at this point. I tried lining up for the moonphase one and was #21 in line. They only had 20 watches so it totally sucked being the first one to get the sold out message, but at least I was able to buy the Neptune watch as a consolation prize at the store. I don't think I'll ever line up again since it's just not worth standing in line for that long. I arrived at 6:30 am for the moonphase and waited for about 4 hours. Seeing as how I just missed it, I would probably need to go 4:30 if I want a good place in line to secure it.

out of all of them, neptune is the only one i really wanted. my sister ended up getting me a uranus, but i'm not putting much effort or paying over retail for a moonswatch.

I always wonder if rolex is ever gonna bring the oysterflex on the submariner

eh, too similar to a YM. i'd like to have the option to buy as a separate accessory though. i'd much rather spend the extra $ to have a rubber option with buckle, vs having to source a buckle and pair with an everest/rubber b strap.

Back
Top Bottom