The White opinion of being Black in America

Pull the blinders off. Your name is Dark Chocolate, he called you Darkie. My name is duke4005, he calls me Dukie. Yes, I know the history of what he calledyou. Intent. Period, point blank. No one knew you were black until you got heated. If you want us to know this so we don't offend you, change your name toI am a Black Man, so we know from the jump. Otherwise, quit getting so upset over a message board and people you will probably never meet in real life and haveno control over your well being. Seriously.

Originally Posted by duke4005

Pull the blinders off. Your name is Dark Chocolate, he called you Darkie. My name is duke4005, he calls me Dukie. Yes, I know the history of what he called you. Intent. Period, point blank. No one knew you were black until you got heated. If you want us to know this so we don't offend you, change your name to I am a Black Man, so we know from the jump. Otherwise, quit getting so upset over a message board and people you will probably never meet in real life and have no control over your well being. Seriously.
Are you telling a Black man what he should get upset about, in regard to epithets? Seriously? Dukie equals Darkie? Really?

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

How can a WHITE person tell a BLACK person what he should be upset about, in regard to racial stereotypes and then racist epithets?

They tell black ppl how to do/act in other aspects of life... such as how to be profesional, how to speak conduct urself in public and in a business setting.How u r 2 present urself, correct mannerism, etc....

How can a WHITE person tell a BLACK person what he should be upset about, in regard to racial stereotypes and then racist epithets?
uuhhh, he CAN'T

matta fact, erase da fact that one person is white and da next person is black...one person CAN'T tell someone else what SHOULD make him or her mad andwhat SHOULD

be cool, cuz at da end of da day, "should" is subjective AKA opinion, which aren't bolted on facts 1/2 da time.

I think that white people think that black people think that white people think that black people think...

Originally Posted by manamazing55

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

These threads need to stop...

The arrogance of white people needs to stop as well. White privilege exists, and some of these people are still in denial.

wouldnt you have to be white to make that statement?
grin.gif

So let me get this straight- you can tell me that I live a life of privilege, or in other words, you, a black man can tell me, a white man, how easy my life isand how i have privileges just based on my race- yet, I can't tell you what you're life is like and that you have priveleges too? How are you gonnatell me white people are arrogant and we have priveleges, IN A THREAD WHERE YOU'RE SAYING THAT WHITE PEOPLE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT IT's LIKE TO BEBLACK?! I'm sure what I just said made zero sense to most people but hopefully someone understands the hypocrisy that i'm highlighting. OP you'remaking everyone stupider. see? stupider isn't even a word and you're making me use it.

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

These threads need to stop...

The arrogance of white people needs to stop as well. White privilege exists, and some of these people are still in denial.
White arrogance is one of the main reasons we can't talk about race
tired.gif
ohwell.gif

I think this is a good for discussion. I see no reason as to why it must be locked.

Now as for my thoughts on the matter, I think the first thing that needs to be understood is the fact that there is no such thing as a "VALIDOPINION". I mean, if there were ever an oxymoron, it'd be that. That said, the question of focus should not be whether a white person can have a more"valid opinion" on what it is to be black in America, but rather, whether a white person can have a more "insightful" opinion, moreso thana black person, on what it is to be black in America.

In response to the latter question, I certainly think so.

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

I think this is a good for discussion. I see no reason as to why it must be locked.

Now as for my thoughts on the matter, I think the first thing that needs to be understood is the fact that there is no such thing as a "VALID OPINION". I mean, if there were ever an oxymoron, it'd be that. That said, the question of focus should not be whether a white person can have a more "valid opinion" on what it is to be black in America, but rather, whether a white person can have a more "insightful" opinion, moreso than a black person, on what it is to be black in America.

In response to the latter question, I certainly think so.

I agree with you. An opinion is always going to be subjective, so to try and justify it as "valid" would be ridiculous. No man'sopinion has anymore credence than another man's opinion. Now if we're talking about credibility, that's a whole different story.

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

OP, stick to making useless threads in the Nike forum where no one will see them.

I could tell you what to "stick to", but you are already stuck on it.

this could be good but i can see feelings will be caught and people will be posting off of emotions...

Whites can have a opinion of what blacks in america is like but it would be a oberservational opinion but not I'm living it opinion. It wouldnt be as goodas a black person's but it could have some weight depending what kinda interaction's they have with people of the black community.

I expect a bunch of racist and ignorant comments before this is locked up just like the last thread.

stolen.
here are a few of my observations about whites and matters of racial sensitivity:
  • We don't want to think of ourselves as racists.
  • We generally aren't openly or overtly racist. It's far more subtle than we expect, taking the form of jokes, etc.
  • When we mean well, it's hard to admit we hurt feelings.
  • Those in the majority should never ask victims of injustice to turn the other cheek.
  • We don't realize that racial insensitivity demeans the offender while also demeaning the offended.
  • It's embarrassing to be wrong and to admit failure publicly.
  • It's difficult and painful to right wrongs.
  • Those in the ethnic majority have a non-binding vote on what's offensive. The minority gets the binding vote.
OP...if you're jsut going make this a pissing match and full of sideways personal insults, instead of actually sticking to the topic..I'lljust lock this...so stick to your OWN subject.

Back
Top Bottom