The White opinion of being Black in America

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

stolen.
here are a few of my observations about whites and matters of racial sensitivity:
  • We don't want to think of ourselves as racists.
  • We generally aren't openly or overtly racist. It's far more subtle than we expect, taking the form of jokes, etc.
  • When we mean well, it's hard to admit we hurt feelings.
  • Those in the majority should never ask victims of injustice to turn the other cheek.
  • We don't realize that racial insensitivity demeans the offender while also demeaning the offended.
  • It's embarrassing to be wrong and to admit failure publicly.
  • It's difficult and painful to right wrongs.
  • Those in the ethnic majority have a non-binding vote on what's offensive. The minority gets the binding vote.
OP...if you're jsut going make this a pissing match and full of sideways personal insults, instead of actually sticking to the topic..I'll just lock this...so stick to your OWN subject.

To be quite honest in regard to matters of race, it's all a pissing match, isn't it? But I get what you are saying, I'll ignore peoplelike processofbelief.

To be quite honest in regard to matters of race, it's all a pissing match, isn't it?
not at all

How much do you think that a reply like this "We're sorry. We didn't know. We want to learn. How do we do that?" would be able to diffusearguments when one party has offended the other?
I bet it would go a long way....but more often than not.. you never hear it.

That is a good question and I think tou got your answer. The majority of resopnses were "Lock this up".

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

To be quite honest in regard to matters of race, it's all a pissing match, isn't it?
not at all

How much do you think that a reply like this "We're sorry. We didn't know. We want to learn. How do we do that?" would be able to diffuse arguments when one party has offended the other?
I bet it would go a long way....but more often than not.. you never hear it.
Dirty, this topic is slowly but surely improving and this thread could lead to good discussion. I say we let a few more pages rock and then decidefor a lock/open
smile.gif

America has been the best country on earth for black folks
I absolutely HATE what Pat meant by this....BUT as a person of color who has lived overseas, I do believe right now at the moment America/Canadaare more accepting of us than other countries and we have more opportunity as blacks/mixeds in America/Canada than in alot of other countries. And once again,I disagree with Pat very much but in this age I'd rather have been born and raised being black in America/Can than have been born/raised black in LatinAmerica or Europe. A black in a white society in America I believe has more chances currently than a black in a white society like UK/France/Spain etc.

My heart cringed at the plight of the black Colombians back home. The civil war
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Dark Chocolate

Can White people in America have a more valid opinion on what it is to be Black in America, than someone who is actually Black?

2gvue5f.jpg

OP go back and slap the arrogance out that white dude.

well its possible. I mean Ive been to the DRC and countries like that and I can tell you for a fact they treat white WAAAAAAY worse than blacks are treated inthis country

PS: I just wanna know if any black people have problems breathing through their nose....

Can White people in America have a more valid opinion on what it is to be Black in America, than someone who is actually Black?

White politicians seem to think they have a more valid opinion.

The arrogance of black people needs to stop as well. Black racists exist, and some of these people are still in denial.

Originally Posted by J Burner

The arrogance of black people needs to stop as well. Black racists exist, and some of these people are still in denial.

As with any problem it is two fold. But this is exactly why things will never change...... pointed fingers.

I think that a white person can give insight about the experience of minorities in AMerica, but they will never truly understand what it is like unless theyare persecuted in a similar manner.
I do not think it is anyone's place to dictate to another individual how they should think or feel.

What I've found in my many years on this earth is that from generation to generation, the thought of White privilege leaves a nasty taste in the mouths ofWhite America. They wish to forget about the head start that they've had in this country, then will even point to the poor whites in places like WestVirginia, to suggest that people of color have moved ahead of Whites in this country. Meanwhile, as Chris Rock stated in his show, where he lives there isEddie Murphy, Mary J Blige , then himself as the only Black people in his neighborhood. Right next to him is a white man, know what he does for a living? He isa Dentist. Chris says that he had to host the Oscars in order to live next to that white Dentist.

What Duke2005 said to me was not only arrogant, but incredibly stupid. If this were in real time, and a Black friend of his called me "darkie" infront of him, then with me being pissed at Duke's friend about that, does he being a White man have a right to come and talk to me about"intention"? I mean, here we have the descendant of the creators of racial division in America, trying to tell me what to get pissed about in regardto racial epithets? I say this, if it were in real time, not only should Dukes *good friend* be embarrassed by having a white apologist, but the apologisthimself would get a serious undressing as to what is really his business.

What Duke2005 said to me was not only arrogant, but incredibly stupid. If this were in real time, and a Black friend of his called me "darkie" in front of him, then with me being pissed at Duke's friend about that, does he being a White man have a right to come and talk to me about "intention"? I mean, here we have the descendant of the creators of racial division in America, trying to tell me what to get pissed about in regard to racial epithets? I say this, if it were in real time, not only should Dukes *good friend* be embarrassed by having a white apologist, but the apologist himself would get a serious undressing as to what is really his business.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Troponin C

I think that a white person can give insight about the experience of minorities in AMerica, but they will never truly understand what it is like unless they are persecuted in a similar manner.
I do not think it is anyone's place to dictate to another individual how they should think or feel.

i agree, its healthy to try and understand what point of view someone is coming from, but not all white people are racist and not all black people care whatother races think
i would go crazy trying to make sure everyone respected me as an african american

the problem with your view-point is that you're still seeing it as black and white.

i wouldnt say black people are racists, i'd say some are just ignorant. I always get offended when people around me are like "white people are likethis" or "white people do this" when it has nothing at all to do with their race. And then they describe themselves [black people] with the mostignorant characteristics, and i just look at them and smh.

What I've found in my many years on this earth is that from generation to generation, the thought of White privilege leaves a nasty taste in the mouths of White America. They wish to forget about the head start that they've had in this country, then will even point to the poor whites in places like West Virginia, to suggest that people of color have moved ahead of Whites in this country. Meanwhile, as Chris Rock stated in his show, where he lives there is Eddie Murphy, Mary J Blige , then himself as the only Black people in his neighborhood. Right next to him is a white man, know what he does for a living? He is a Dentist. Chris says that he had to host the Oscars in order to live next to that white Dentist.

What Duke2005 said to me was not only arrogant, but incredibly stupid. If this were in real time, and a Black friend of his called me "darkie" in front of him, then with me being pissed at Duke's friend about that, does he being a White man have a right to come and talk to me about "intention"? I mean, here we have the descendant of the creators of racial division in America, trying to tell me what to get pissed about in regard to racial epithets? I say this, if it were in real time, not only should Dukes *good friend* be embarrassed by having a white apologist, but the apologist himself would get a serious undressing as to what is really his business.
Ok, DC, I said done, but I guess I have to try again. First off, I would not hang with anyone who would call anyone Darkie to their face unlessthat was their name. I would expect anyone who called a black man a name with any racial connotations to get "a serious undressing" from not only theperson he said it too, but also from me. But that was my original point, and maybe it didn't get interpreted correctly or worded correctly, I don'tknow. The Darkie statement from the other poster was meant as a variation on your SN, not as a racially insensitive slur. NO ONE knew you were black, you neverstated that fact until you were already upset. I never once said I was more learned in the black experience than you. My inference was that I know more aboutshoes than you, and ore about basketball than you. For you to suggest, or even tall me, that I have no idea what you have been through being a black man isprobably right, because I do not know you from Adam. But to say I am arrogant in my ways and phrases regarding the black experience and what racial divisionsthere still are in this country, or to tell me I am ignorant of the facts is wrong. Like I said above, I do not know you, and the only thing you know about meis that I am white, so you don't know me or what I have went through either. Not comparing, just saying our experiences may be more similar than you think.And the Chris Rock line was funny in a not funny way, but he is a comedian.

Originally Posted by duke4005

What I've found in my many years on this earth is that from generation to generation, the thought of White privilege leaves a nasty taste in the mouths of White America. They wish to forget about the head start that they've had in this country, then will even point to the poor whites in places like West Virginia, to suggest that people of color have moved ahead of Whites in this country. Meanwhile, as Chris Rock stated in his show, where he lives there is Eddie Murphy, Mary J Blige , then himself as the only Black people in his neighborhood. Right next to him is a white man, know what he does for a living? He is a Dentist. Chris says that he had to host the Oscars in order to live next to that white Dentist.

Ok, DC, I said done, but I guess I have to try again. First off, I would not hang with anyone who would call anyone Darkie to their face unless that was their name. I would expect anyone who called a black man a name with any racial connotations to get "a serious undressing" from not only the person he said it too, but also from me. But that was my original point, and maybe it didn't get interpreted correctly or worded correctly, I don't know. The Darkie statement from the other poster was meant as a variation on your SN, not as a racially insensitive slur. NO ONE knew you were black, you never stated that fact until you were already upset. I never once said I was more learned in the black experience than you. My inference was that I know more about shoes than you, and ore about basketball than you. For you to suggest, or even tall me, that I have no idea what you have been through being a black man is probably right, because I do not know you from Adam. But to say I am arrogant in my ways and phrases regarding the black experience and what racial divisions there still are in this country, or to tell me I am ignorant of the facts is wrong. Like I said above, I do not know you, and the only thing you know about me is that I am white, so you don't know me or what I have went through either. Not comparing, just saying our experiences may be more similar than you think. And the Chris Rock line was funny in a not funny way, but he is a comedian.
Your whole position on why it ISN'T a racially insensitive slur, is the reason why you are NOT qualified to speak on his intentions! In OURcommunity, we get it. In yours, you don't! You or many others here may not have known that I am of African descent, but what difference does that make? Imean, what if someone walked up to Gov. Arnold of California, then shortened his last name in a public forum? Oh, the bigots would have a field day with thatone! And that's why no self respecting Black man should EVER reference someone in that fashion, in a manner to humor and defend his *white* friend, in thiscase Alpha Project.

Originally Posted by sn00pee

i wouldnt say black people are racists, i'd say some are just ignorant. I always get offended when people around me are like "white people are like this" or "white people do this" when it has nothing at all to do with their race. And then they describe themselves [black people] with the most ignorant characteristics, and i just look at them and smh.

I agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom