To my graduated NTers...

What degree did you graduate with and what job do you have?
What do you like and dislike about your career?

Liberal Studies

Working as Social Worker, Dept. Public Social Services (supposed to be a teacher, but didn't want to spend another year with student teaching/credentials)

4 years in my career and I don't regret it. Especially with all the cuts to education/layoffs/etc...

Not to thread jack but...
@OP
Could you add to your OP post, "What do you like and dislike about your career?"

Decision Sciences (stats, analytical math)

IT Systems Engineer.
laugh.gif

BS, Business Admin - MIS / e-commerce

Credit Manager for a specialty equipment leasing company

What I like about my career:

the "detective" aspect of it. As a specialty (aka sub-prime) lender, I manually underwrite all of my deals. That means we have to dig a bit deeper than just looking at credit score, debt to credit ratio, time in business, etc... For us, we speak with each of our applicants to get their "story" and a better understanding of their business to see if they are an acceptable credit risk. Part of the fun is vetting out which part of their story is truth and what is just BS. In some cases the deals end up being outright fraud and it really FEELSGOODMAN when I am able to discover the fraud and dead the deal before it funds.

while not specifically career related (but moreso workplace related) i also love the company i work for. its a relatively small company, but everyone works together and gets along together real well. I enjoy being able to have a hand in multiple different aspects of the company, and making decisions that can directly impact the direction of the company. While we are not that large (in comparison to other lenders/funders in our industry) we do a decent amount of business, about $10+MM a year in new leases we write with a current overall portfolio with $20MM in outstanding receivables. While that pales in comparison to some of the giants in the industry, I'm almost certain that the output per employee that we generate here is exponentially higher than it is at other places. That in itself is very rewarding.

What I dislike:

I work straight salary. Unlike many other finance sector positions, there is no bonus structure in place at my job. It makes sense though. If we had "performance" based bonuses on how much we fund each year, I would straight up approve every deal that came across my desk and just start funding everything. It would be counterintuitive if my bonuses were tied to the amount of new deals I fund if my main goal is to vete out the bad deals that I get.

for all you IT career field people I need help can someone pm me advice on getting experience and their past jobs, skills, etc 
nerd.gif

Degree: Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
Current Position: Director, Technical Services

Like:  Learn/use cutting edge technology, get paid very well, great benefits

Dislike: a lot of work, a lot of drama (US Army is our customer), not a lot of hot chicks in the office

BA Communications (PR/Advertising)
working at a market research firm and I hate it

I'm not doing it right
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

I'm not doing it right
frown.gif
why not go into advertising?  the pay sucks, but the comps and freebies are pretty awesome.

also (depends on what agency you work for) but there seems to be a lot of "talent" in the industry.  just cruising around my wife's office (she works in media) i see a buncha bad lookin chicks left and right.  whenever i attend media events with her, more of the same apply.  not sayin that all girls that work in advertising are good looking, but it seems to have a higher % of hot girls than a lot of other fields.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I'm not doing it right
frown.gif
why not go into advertising?  the pay sucks, but the comps and freebies are pretty awesome.

also (depends on what agency you work for) but there seems to be a lot of "talent" in the industry.  just cruising around my wife's office (she works in media) i see a buncha bad lookin chicks left and right.  whenever i attend media events with her, more of the same apply.  not sayin that all girls that work in advertising are good looking, but it seems to have a higher % of hot girls than a lot of other fields.

yea I know, its just getting my foot in the door is the tough part

Political Science

Content Editor/Legislative Researcher for an academic database company...look over bills, Congressional hearings, and floor debates.

would like to break into PR/media type stuff...shooting for a direct commission in the Naval Reserves as a Public Affairs Officer...hoping that will provide some interesting opportunities if I can get it since they work with PR type stuff

I'm not doing it right
frown.gif

any chance youre in LA?  i swear my wifes company is always looking to hire entry level assistant media planners.  Granted, it is competitive, but if you have a good resume and good interview skills atleast you got a shot.

any chance youre in LA?  i swear my wifes company is always looking to hire entry level assistant media planners.  Granted, it is competitive, but if you have a good resume and good interview skills atleast you got a shot.

Nope, I'm in Houston
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom