Too much love for the Warriors?

Anyone recognizing the overwhelming amount of Golden State Warrior fans this season? To me, it's starting to get annoying that i see some of my friendswho've never seen a Warriors game on FSN wanting to go to a game at the Oracle COLISEUM and buying anymerchandise with the Warrior's logo on it. I mean it's good to see that the Warriors are finally getting some recognition in the league and such but itcomes with these Bandwagon fans who've probably never heard of Jason Richardson until his comeback last week. It's really sad that a lot of the kids atmy old high school only watch Warrior's games because Kelenna Azubuike and Monta Ellis are "hot" so these girls go out and buy their jerseys. Imean i've been a fan for about five or six seasons now and i was part of the struggle that the Warriors faced and i give credit to those fans who'vebeen there for 10+ seasons because those are the only true fans out here. They've been there when it was really bad and now have to face these new"fans" who don't know crap about the team. What also makes me mad is the fact that with this new hype comes a raise in seat prices at theCOLISEUM because i had to pay $45.00 just to sit behind the backboard! Does anyone else feel the same way?

No, I don't feel the same way. It comes to territory. When a team does well, "bandwagon" fans are sure to follow... especially if they'vebeen bad over the past decade.

The bay area has always been a great basketball city/area. We've increased attendance at the Arena In Oakland a.k.a. Oracle Arena every year since 2002...and we were still not any good. Just goes to show you that the Warriors always had fans. Fans didn't just appear out of thin air.

just went to the game today. yea its a lot of hype beasts but oh well true loyal fans will always stay true loyal fans.

Ill agree with you on the ticket prices. I used to love getting free tickets a few seasons ago. My friend would always come through with 4-6 lower level seats,and I always knew people giving away upper level seats.

Now, no ticket is free.

At least Oracle is much more alive than those days.

Well you don't have to see these type of comments on facebook/myspace.

"ellis and azubuike please
smile.gif
"

"yay us!! mm ellis and azubuike..PLEASE!"

And picture these girls wearing both of their jerseys.

Paul is on Tilt, maybe it's a high school/SFSU thing i'm seeing all these new fans? I think what bothers me are the female new fansbut i do know there are some real female fans who actually watch the games so i can't hate.

Eh. I don't see what's the big deal. It's good to see the Warriors getting support regardless if it's from those who are hardcore Warriors fans(whatever that warrants it to be) or someone who just started liking basketball in general because the Warriors are a fun team to watch. Every fan has to startsomewhere, right?

I like the Warriors since TMC and I love watching them and going to the games, but I'm a Lakers fan since the Forum days with Magic, Worthy, Byron Scottand ETC. Does that mean I've jumped the Warriors bandwagon? My younger sister who never went to a sports game until a couple years ago, but checked out theWarriors one day with her BF, ended up loving the game and the team, make her 'jumping the wagon'?

Maybe from my point of view in the environment that i live in which is SFSU, people still tend to follow the trend of what's "in". Right now theWarriors are "in" because they're winning and above .500 but i don't think these "new" fans are even aware of what's reallygoing on during the games. I do believe that everyone has to start somewhere Jay, but it's the fact that they come in only if the team is winning. I likethe fact that the Warriors are getting more support from the bay, but some people are giving the wrong type of support which is of "hype". I'mnot sure but maybe Jay/Paul are way out of school and are working so you don't actually see how bad it's getting inside the school when people want torep the Warriors because their either "hot" (Monta and Kelenna) or their simply winning more. And i bet if the Warriors were ever tradeEllis/Azubuike/Davis(knock on wood), support would drop.

Look how much recognition the Celtics are getting now because of the recent success of the team. Last year people would never watch a game if they were onTNT/ESPN because they weren't a contender in the east. And now all of a sudden the team gets Garnet and Allen and they get more fans than ever. Some of myfriends said "F the Warriors, it's all about the Celtics now" as soon as Garnet was traded, but hey those are my friends and don't representevery basketball fan out there.

If you go to a game at the Coliseum now a days, you see more people between the age of 17-21 years old because it's what's in (especially in the upperdeck).

And Btw i got another comment from a friends on facebook:
"sooo.. would you like to go with me and shop around for a cute warriors jersey?
happy.gif
"

Tell me there's something wrong with that.

Time to Play.... Name That Year!

Q: How long have you been a Warriors fan? Since when?

(This will insure whether or not you're a bandwagoner)

Originally Posted by MiteeMark

Maybe from my point of view in the environment that i live in which is SFSU, people still tend to follow the trend of what's "in".
I live 5 minutes away from SFSU
laugh.gif
. Even though I don't attend SF State, I don't see a lot of what you're depicting. Maybe it'sjust me though.

I'm not sure but maybe Jay/Paul are way out of school and are working so you don't actually see how bad it's getting inside the school when people want to rep the Warriors because their either "hot" (Monta and Kelenna) or their simply winning more.

I'm still in college (Skyline) and I don't still really see it at my school. "Kids" at my school wearing all-over print hoodies and the like.

And i bet if the Warriors were ever trade Ellis/Azubuike/Davis(knock on wood), support would drop.
Not if the team still was successful. Yeah there'd be people that would hate that, it would be the initial reaction because they are fanfavorites, but if the team is successful, people would still show up to games. You're making assumptions.

Look how much recognition the Celtics are getting now because of the recent success of the team. Last year people would never watch a game if they were on TNT/ESPN because they weren't a contender in the east. And now all of a sudden the team gets Garnet and Allen and they get more fans than ever. Some of my friends said "F the Warriors, it's all about the Celtics now" as soon as Garnet was traded, but hey those are my friends and don't represent every basketball fan out there.
This just proves my point, that when a team is successful, bandwagon fans are sure to follow. No different that what's going on with theWarriors. We haven't had a winning team since 93-94. What do you expect? An winning/entertaining team that gets no attention? Would it appease you if therewere no "buzz" about the Warriors?

Maybe your friends aren't Warrior fans, or maybe they like to say that stuff to get on someone's nerves. My friends say stupid stuff like "TheWarriors are garbage" when they're trailing. I know they're kidding but they say that just to get on my nerves.

If you go to a game at the Coliseum now a days, you see more people between the age of 17-21 years old because it's what's in (especially in the upper deck).

17-21 years of age... think about it... the upper deck is cheaper. It's not like the 17-21 year olds are ballin'.

I understand where you're coming from though...I don't like a lot of these new bandwagoners. I know a couple people who NEVER repped the Warriors inhigh school or middle school and kept saying they sucked, now are suddenly donning warrior jerseys in college (UCSD here) and act like they've been downforever. now THAT is what I hate, especially cuz a LOT of people I hang out with were Laker fans before last year...but if people want a team to root for andlike the Warriors, I could care less; I just hope they don't get hop off if we start sucking again.

Also, anyone ever go to a game and have to listen to some lame trying to talk to the people they're with like they know the Warriors well? You could sotell they don't know crap
laugh.gif
. "Let's go Montuhhhh, shoot a 3!"
laugh.gif
. Doesn't bug me cuz I'm watching the game the whole time, ,butit gets on my nerves a little.

But without a doubt, the W's fanbase has been there forever. I've been goin to games since 94-95 when I was 6-7, but ever since the late 90s (when icould understand basketball better) I've noticed Warrior fans have always been there. Attendance has always been there, but it's just that now thetickets are HOT. My brother is a season tix holder; now he can sell off some of the hot tix for WAYYYY over face value. In the past you wouldn't be able todo that.

If you go to a game at the Coliseum now a days, you see more people between the age of 17-21 years old because it's what's in (especially in the upper deck).

And Btw i got another comment from a friends on facebook:
"sooo.. would you like to go with me and shop around for a cute warriors jersey?
happy.gif
"

Tell me there's something wrong with that.

what exactly is wrong with that? fans come in all kinds of ages and if their reason for getting into the Warriors is hype then let them, if they find moreto like about the Warriors and become die hard fans even better, or if they just got on the bandwagon since their winning and wouldn't be fans if they werelosing then that's their loss. and like Jay said, every fan has to start somewhere. and i'm not trying to sound like a die hard fan neither since Ijust started following the Warriors about 3 seasons ago.
and only thing i see wrong with that comment is you didn't reply back ASAP with when and where?
laugh.gif

hell that could be your opportunity to school her (i'm guessing it's a her) on the team, turn her into a fan. or you could preach to her whatyou've been preaching to us, tell her she shouldn't buy a Monta jersey just cause he's "cute".

Originally Posted by acidicality

I understand where you're coming from though...I don't like a lot of these new bandwagoners. I know a couple people who NEVER repped the Warriors in high school or middle school and kept saying they sucked, now are suddenly donning warrior jerseys in college (UCSD here) and act like they've been down forever. now THAT is what I hate, especially cuz a LOT of people I hang out with were Laker fans before last year...but if people want a team to root for and like the Warriors, I could care less; I just hope they don't get hop off if we start sucking again.

Also, anyone ever go to a game and have to listen to some lame trying to talk to the people they're with like they know the Warriors well? You could so tell they don't know crap
laugh.gif
. "Let's go Montuhhhh, shoot a 3!"
laugh.gif
. Doesn't bug me cuz I'm watching the game the whole time, ,but it gets on my nerves a little.

But without a doubt, the W's fanbase has been there forever. I've been goin to games since 94-95 when I was 6-7, but ever since the late 90s (when i could understand basketball better) I've noticed Warrior fans have always been there. Attendance has always been there, but it's just that now the tickets are HOT. My brother is a season tix holder; now he can sell off some of the hot tix for WAYYYY over face value. In the past you wouldn't be able to do that.

fanbase was probably there back then but it wasnt close to what it was now. I think the warriors sell out most games out of the year. Back then when thewarriors sucked and they played the kings you would see more kings fans than warriors fans at the game and this was at the colliseum

I started watching warriors games during the spring of my 8th grade year back in 2003? Yeah.

I espicially like when the Lakers came to town and saw so many Kobe jerseys more than Richardson ones back then.

as for the comments about girls being fans, it's relative. The lakers have a huge fan base, but for the sake of an example(no disrespect)...look at all the"laker" fans aka 'kobe' fans. Most of em can't even name their team's starting lineup. It is what it is, don't really see aproblem...just gotta accept it

the worst is when you have friends who in the past told u to change the channel to american idol while you were watching the warriors games (when they sucked)and next thing u know when the warriors made the playoffs last year, they have hella pics on their myspace of themselves at the warriors game (attn whores) oranything else warrior related. F O H wit that

aint gonna lie, i just recently started watching and been to a few games....but its only cus my girl. Her and her fam been warriors fans since forever.

Always been a fan, Been threw Chris Porter Vonteego Cummings Chris Mills Terry Cummings and I have no problem with the newer generation fans. I mean it happensin everything people will always jump on a good thing... Only downside Ticket Prices go up
devil.gif
but other than that I dont mind new fans coming threw and loving a game.

the bandwagon jumps show how well a team is doing.. Remember the Sacramento Kings' fan era when they were pretty raw????

Like everyone else here, im glad to see the warriors getting recognition.

i still remember the old days with Bimbo Coles, Mugsey Bouges (sp), Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison when lower level tickets were under a bill
pimp.gif

Fan since 2001-2002

Started because I saw Jason Richardson play, then he became my favorite player

then warriors became my favorite team

i like to wonder how the warriors would do if they kept their team from the past

arenas
pimp.gif

jason richardson
pimp.gif

mike dunleavy
alien.gif

antawn jamison
pimp.gif

dampier
embarassed.gif

bench

troy murphy, larry hughes, FOYLE
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by The ONE Clothing

I understand you 100%. Heres an example of one of those annoying girls who never heard of the Warriors until last year. Completely overboard in this Warrior "trend".

http://www.myspace.com/jeralene

HAHA. She is hella lame. Half her comments for her Warriors pics are stupid. What a Warriors hypebeast.

i dont get why people hate on bandwagoners for sports teams... wouldnt you want more fans rooting for your team? its all love in my opinon. look at all thekids on here on that nike/ streetwear band wagon.

Back
Top Bottom