Vinyl Collecting thread Vol WAX

People collect toys they never play with, shoes they never walk in, hell millionaires collect cars they probably never drive....I didn't say I wouldn't listen to them, just that is not the reason why I would like to collect them

Yeah I'm collecting my crap and storing most of it in a closet, just looming till the day we buy a house and I set up my office or basement

ITS GONNA BE LIT

for now in the closet they gon:frown:

Exact same boat B [emoji]128514[/emoji]

I never said I was or wanted to be a vinyl expert fam and I've never owned a record player and was really attracted to the aesthetic of that one since it's something I'll have up on a shelf...why don't you post some recommendations of another RP that has a nice aesthetic and quality.

Why would you want a record player if you only want to collect records with an appealing aesthetic to put them on a shelf? Why not just buy high quality prints of those same images? :rofl:

Idk about aesthetic, but you can't beat the quality of the Audio Technica LP120 at it's price point. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Here are a few of my favorite pick ups from this year.

View media item 2265014

People collect toys they never play with, shoes they never walk in, hell millionaires collect cars they probably never drive....I didn't say I wouldn't listen to them, just that is not the reason why I would like to collect them

buying music you'll never listen to...cars you will never drive....shoes you will never wear....

thats silly and a waste of money.

u gonna buy some apple bees an just look at it.

dats whats hot in da streets?

buying music you'll never listen to...cars you will never drive....shoes you will never wear....

thats silly and a waste of money.

u gonna buy some apple bees an just look at it.

dats whats hot in da streets?

This outlook on money is what's silly :lol:

You gonna collect money you'll never use then? Guess we on the same boat bro....lol

A lot of the people who have the largest collections and are most knowledgeable about the hobby have so much music that it would be almost impossible for them to listen to everything

Just saying

I just started buying vinyl. Mostly punk and metal, yeah I listen to it.

This outlook on money is what's silly :lol:

You gonna collect money you'll never use then? Guess we on the same boat bro....lol

what are u even talking about ?

what boat are we on ?

please explain this to me.

why would you buy music and a device to play it on without the intention of listening to it.

like yeah said....you might as well just print out those images you like and frame them.

this is like a cat buying sneakers and not wearing them.
just buying them to showcase.

vinyl...above all formats....is meant to be heard.

but........thats my opinion my dog. do what you will.

In response to the crosley talk in here, yeah don't buy one of those, they are pure trash and destroy your records. at the very minimum, an audio technica at-lp60 isn't a terrible starter deck. it's cheap, really easy to use, and has a built in pre amp that allows you to connect directly to powered speakers. It too can do damage to your records over time, so I'd still avoid it if you can.

the U-turn Orbit is a great starter deck. Small company based in Boston that builds all of their turntables there from mostly American components. It has a counterweight that comes pre-adjusted, meaning it won't do damage to your records.

I have an Orbit Plus in white, which has some upgrades like a nicer cartridge and a clear acrylic platter. Requires a pre amp to use with powered speakers, but they make their own external one that's really good and they also offer it as a built-in option. You can cop one of these decks from Urban, Barnes and Noble, and other places now, but U-turn offers a direct custom service that allows you to choose your upgrades that's kind of cool. I got mine on the low with a coupon from B&N along with the pre-amp and have it connected to Klipsch powered speakers, sounds great.

The LP-120 is generally good if you're looking into a direct drive, but I've heard that the built in pre amp is terrible and needs to be ripped out if you want to truly bypass it, which sucks. If you're looking into a cheap deck, I'd go with the U-turn. They have amazing customer service too.

In response to the crosley talk in here, yeah don't buy one of those, they are pure trash and destroy your records. at the very minimum, an audio technica at-lp60 isn't a terrible starter deck. it's cheap, really easy to use, and has a built in pre amp that allows you to connect directly to powered speakers. It too can do damage to your records over time, so I'd still avoid it if you can.

the U-turn Orbit is a great starter deck. Small company based in Boston that builds all of their turntables there from mostly American components. It has a counterweight that comes pre-adjusted, meaning it won't do damage to your records.

I have an Orbit Plus in white, which has some upgrades like a nicer cartridge and a clear acrylic platter. Requires a pre amp to use with powered speakers, but they make their own external one that's really good and they also offer it as a built-in option. You can cop one of these decks from Urban, Barnes and Noble, and other places now, but U-turn offers a direct custom service that allows you to choose your upgrades that's kind of cool. I got mine on the low with a coupon from B&N along with the pre-amp and have it connected to Klipsch powered speakers, sounds great.

The LP-120 is generally good if you're looking into a direct drive, but I've heard that the built in pre amp is terrible and needs to be ripped out if you want to truly bypass it, which sucks. If you're looking into a cheap deck, I'd go with the U-turn. They have amazing customer service too.
can you get a decent player that you can connect to a bluetooth speaker?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BE5CT8U/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Last edited:
what are u even talking about ?

what boat are we on ?

please explain this to me.

why would you buy music and a device to play it on without the intention of listening to it.

like yeah said....you might as well just print out those images you like and frame them.

this is like a cat buying sneakers and not wearing them.
just buying them to showcase.

vinyl...above all formats....is meant to be heard.

but........thats my opinion my dog. do what you will.

Because you are labeling it a "waste of money" when that term is really objective, to a sneaker collector wether he wears them or not dropping 600$ a month on kicks, isn't a "waste of money" to you it might seem like it is, but not to him and the same goes for any collecting hobby...some people just like to collect, whatever the intent is, is not up to YOU to write it off as a "waste" because collecting is what brings that person joy, if you rather stack your money in a bank account and seeing the number grow is what brings you joy rather than spending on material things or trips, then that's your choice.....seems like you like collecting currency you don't plan on using, sorta say...

I said from the get, I was drawn to it when I came across a company that makes collectible vinyls, where there is art not only in the packaging but also the record it self, so no printing a copy of the cover art and framing it won't do, like Cashbanks said earlier, him and I can't even display what we collect just yet...3/4ths of my figures are stashed away for now....if you don't understand how collecting works, just say that...lol

And this is why I made this thread, to bounce off info...really appreciate it and my fear with a cheap turntable like the Crosley joint was exactly that, that if I decide to play one of the collectible vinyls it would ruin it....I might still buy it, just as a decoration, collect the vinyls with the intent that when I buy a house I'll invest in a real turntable then....I bought a cool Crosley speaker, it looks great on shelf and has bluetooth...was rocking Xmas music last night in the crib...it was awesome.

Its not up to YOU to write it off as a "waste" because collecting is what brings that person joy,

I agree. Youre right.

But i feel that ....being a vinyl guy....there is alot to be had by getting into this.

Sam cooke "bring it on home to me" on vinyl >>>>

Maybe its just the fanboy in me that makes me want u to see it as more than just "collecting"

Vinyl has a certain sound. Digital music is like artificial light illuminating a room...vinyl is like the sun coming thru the windows. Its warm.

So for somebody to see it as just "collecting" its kind of like "why"?

But....i dont speak for everyone. Just me

The art is cool. Who am i to judge what someone likes.

BUT....PLEASE dont buy a record player from urban outfitters

I agree. Youre right.

But i feel that ....being a vinyl guy....there is alot to be had by getting into this.

Sam cooke "bring it on home to me" on vinyl >>>>

Maybe its just the fanboy in me that makes me want u to see it as more than just "collecting"

Vinyl has a certain sound. Digital music is like artificial light illuminating a room...vinyl is like the sun coming thru the windows. Its warm.

So for somebody to see it as just "collecting" its kind of like "why"?

But....i dont speak for everyone. Just me

The art is cool. Who am i to judge what someone likes.

BUT....PLEASE dont buy a record player from urban outfitters

Oh no I get you for sure...but I was addressing the earlier hipster comments and my lack of knowledge of good turntables, I know I'm a noob so for now what draws me to these is the same thing that would drive me to buy a cool print by Naturel or any other artist....the idea of collecting art, that's why I'm not really thinking of vinyl digging through a music shop, least not yet...because that would make me feel like a poser if my intent isn't to actually enjoy the sound....but I know I'm selling myself short, just like film photography vs digital, shooting film >>>>>>>>

This is probably what you would be looking for, but some things to think about: this would have all the problems that a normal LP-60 would have - no counterweight, damages records over time, pretty cheap build, so on. I had an LP-60 for a short amount of time and it was ok for a lot of records but simply wouldn't play ones like 180g reissues, it would skip all over the place.

Also, another thing is that vinyl is inherently an analog format in comparison to the digital formats that are used today, and because of this it isn't really meant for something like Bluetooth. While convenient, you're not going to be getting great sound quality. Basically how vinyl works is that the stylus reads the left and right channels of the recording and outputs those through their respective speaker - which is why you're handcuffing yourself sound wise by using a single Bluetooth speaker. you get better sound by using set of better powered or passive speakers and separating them from each other.

Vinyl can sound great with a decent setup, but if your setup isn't there it's really not worth the expense and inconvenience and you'd be better off sticking to digital.

All that being said, an LP-60 isn't a bad way to catch the habit, I started on one of those and a set of smaller powered speakers and upgraded to the U-turn after I did some research and realized what I needed to do. I don't expect anyone to just decide to get into vinyl and immediately buy this stuff when there's simpler options like the LP-60 out there, just know that if you really catch the bug and decide you're going to be collecting vinyl seriously, you're going to want to upgrade to something better as soon as possible

Last edited:
Oh no I get you for sure...but I was addressing the earlier hipster comments and my lack of knowledge of good turntables, I know I'm a noob so for now what draws me to these is the same thing that would drive me to buy a cool print by Naturel or any other artist....the idea of collecting art, that's why I'm not really thinking of vinyl digging through a music shop, least not yet...because that would make me feel like a poser if my intent isn't to actually enjoy the sound....but I know I'm selling myself short, just like film photography vs digital, shooting film >>>>>>>>

Tru.

Thatswassup.

The art on vinyls is really great.

U being from ny tho....digging in the crates would be awesome considering the amount of spots.

But yeah man. Get into it. 8)

Since you want to pop ****, did you not see where I said I had two turn tables and played my records? Around half of them I played. When I moved I didn't want to set all my **** up because it took too much space and I live in a townhouse so my **** ain't gonna be that loud anyways. So I sold some and kept some, hung them on my wall. Decided I wanted some new music up there. I don't consider myself a collector, it's decor because I love music more than anything else.

This one is dope

View media item 2265088

I always wanted to get some RIAA platinum or gold records for my house but the rap ones aren't cheap. Way overpriced.

sick! That and the Big Pun joint on my list....I'm a 90's hiphop head so those ID DEF LISTEN TO...lol

Ah...forgot to mention, something else people collect and never use for what they meant for is SCOTCH...my local liquor store owner schooled me and my boy on scotches and dude was telling us how he had bottles worth 4K :wow: he will never open....

If you're looking for more advice on getting into vinyl, hit up the vinyl subreddit http://reddit.com/r/vinyl The sidebar on there has links to some pretty good references regarding turntables to avoid, building your setup and so on I think.

Back
Top Bottom