Virtual Stock Trading Game - Niketalk competition

I like this so far. Spending more time with this than my actual finance homework lol.
A few picks were killing me though and I don't think they would of gotten any better so cut them off as soon as I saw I had some type of return.

We did this back in my HS econ class, but we did it on investopedia. the teacher gave us 100k and we had a month to do it and whoever won got free Red Sox tickets. I was in first for like 2-3 weeks then %@##%## AIG crashed and I ended up in like 65th
laugh.gif

^ no i should have....but after seeing that some of the stuff I had was bringing in positive returns I just decided to rock with it

YBD with a 8% return today
laugh.gif

I was net positive today with a meager 1.3% and I'm on margin with a big buy on Gold.

Closed out of Financials ETF and opened Tech early in the day as I think tech will be less volatile in the long run (which is the opposite of Financials).

5 of us are in GLD and 5 of us are also in XOM
laugh.gif

No one else is in my other 3 postions.

I have a decent understanding of the way markets work but actually picking individual stocks is sort of overwhelming. It's going to take me a while to get the hang of this. On average how many different stocks is everyone holding? I'm stuck on only two which I know is horrible but I don't know what the hell to pick.

With $25k and margin, I won't hold more than 10.

I will generally keep 5 active and move in and out of a couple.

Two isn't horrible, because at the end of the day, a lot of people believe/state if you want to own individual stock in companies you should have no less than $10k (old school thought). By way of that definition, you could really only hold 2 based on the amount of capital I allowed people to start with.

At the end of the day, I wanted this to be a fun tool for people to learn on while keeping it basic AND realistic. We're not hedge fund managers, we're not day traders (though, perhaps some are who are on NT). You gotta claw yourself up and take small gains to build. At least taxes aren't factored on this simulator
laugh.gif

In a volatile market like this, it's REALLY hard to sell short. Mainly because, just as quickly it went down it may turn around. Put tight stops on it to cover yourself from up tick exposure.

Lock in your gain that way.

If you think it's going up will be short lived and not force a margin call (different brokers have different requirements, which I don't believe is in this game) then you can ride it out. In a market like this I close my position almost daily and at the most, by end of the week.

heh that margin call on gold was bound to happen when it hit 1900. now im worried if they are doing a multi margin increase like they did with silver to knock it back down to 1700. either way im backing up the truck in real life and in this game

Back
Top Bottom