• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carver, so why would you need xbmc with the gbox? I saw a quick video on the joint and it's nice. Basically with an add onec like 1 channel you are able to see all the movies and show you can think off ... So what would be the purpose of gbox? Also what's the difference between the gbox and droid box and which one let's you connect to your phone while you are remote?
You don't need the Gbox.. I mentioned earlier in this thread there are a lot of cheaper alternatives and the whole purpose is to get xbmc to your TV. I just got the GBox for the simpleness of it and I liked the controller they gave me 
laugh.gif

There is more than just Gbox's.. There is Ouya's, Mad Catz Mojo's. You can configure cheap htpc's, using lenovo q190's, acer revo's etc etc. This stuff has been around for years. My circle hasn't paid for cable since 08 or earlier.
Like phenom mentioned again.. a lot of cheaper alternatives.

And my dudes are just now getting around to it 
pimp.gif
 never too late to jump on the train

Last edited:
I meant to say what's the purpose of the xbmc if you have something like the GBox or Droid Box or whatever is out there?

If these devices with a little add on can find everything you need, do you still need the XBMC?

Lastly, what box or software besidesb would let you view everything from on of these boxes to your phone while remote?

XBMC is the aim. Not the Gbox. Everything else is modular. Just like you can just goto a local browser on your PC or phone and stream until your heart is content. XBMC localizes the process. However going into detail, is discussing piracy. So why not just google a guide and tallyforth.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed the link, but this show box app, is it in the play store?

And Gbox is an entirely different thing than just a phone app, correct?

XBMC is the aim. Not the Gbox. Everything else is modular. Just like you can just goto a local browser on your PC or phone and stream until your heart is content. XBMC localizes the process. However going into detail, is discussing piracy. So why not just google a guide and tallyforth.
so basically the gbox will need XBMC in order for it to function like we want it. The benefit of having a box is because it acts like sort of like a cable box so you don't have to leave the computer on and just forget about it over is set up?

Feel like copping a Ouya so I can really take advantage of this app. Plus play some old emulated classics on the big screen

Is there any benefit to having the Gbox as opposed to a Mac/PC that runs XBMC with an HDMI out? That's how I set my XBMC up.

Being able to set it and forget it. Also less power consumption.
This.

Used to run it off a Mac mini then realized that's all I used my Mac mini for :lol: sold dat ***** quick and bought a gbox instead.

And kingfoam ouya is good as well :pimp:

So many boxes ... LMAO which one to get? ... I saw that ouya as well but I have read it has mad internet connection problems and not all the Google apps are compatible? The GBox didn't have all those problems but it's not as powerful as the OUYA and supposedly does not support 1080 but the Wi-Fi is great and it support all the apps and it comes pre installed with XBMC. Have to check the Droid Box now and Vizio Co Star.

So many boxes ... LMAO which one to get? ... I saw that ouya as well but I have read it has mad internet connection problems and not all the Google apps are compatible? The GBox didn't have all those problems but it's not as powerful as the OUYA and supposedly does not support 1080 but the Wi-Fi is great and it support all the apps and it comes pre installed with XBMC. Have to check the Droid Box now and Vizio Co Star.

Ouya takes leg work to get working properly. It has more features, and is a more powerful device. But you will have to root and setup the playstore and XBMC in the Ouya. The Gbox, I wouldnt purchase, as its just powerful enough for my needs. But it will run most streams without issue. And you can game on that as well, if you know what you are doing.

The Mad Catz Mojo boxes are the best of the android bunch, but again you have to install XBMC, which is stupidly easy btw.

There is also the Odroid boards, which offer near netbook performance.. You can sometimes catch these preconfigured on Ebay. You can configure the entire setup yourself also, similar to building a microscopic PC.

Last edited:
The GBox is good if you're new to it all and have no clue of what to do.. cause you can just hook it up to your TV and play it right away.

and I don't really care how powerful it is, because all I use the box for is to run XBMC..I don't run games on it, and I got a PC/xbone/PS4.. for mobile gameing I got my phones.. but if you're into that stuff and want to game maybe the ouya or mad catz is a better buy if you know what you're doing.. installing xbmc is really easy as hell.

I'd personally recommend the gbox if you're not down to do all that extra stuff and just want to plug it in and start using it right away.. The only thing you have to do is add the fusion source and go from there.

Last edited:
I meant to say what's the purpose of the xbmc if you have something like the GBox or Droid Box or whatever is out there?

If these devices with a little add on can find everything you need, do you still need the XBMC?

Lastly, what box or software besidesb would let you view everything from on of these boxes to your phone while remote?
The gbox seems to come with xbmc installed from what I am reading on amazon. If it's as easy as you all are making it seem then it might really be the time to look into making a purchase to get this to stream to my tv. I had xbmc installed on my laptop a while ago, but never really used it after the week I installed it.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry.. context. I meant "I" wouldnt. It seems to be perfect for the scenario's described here.

Yeah, I don't think I would need anything else then just XBMC for sports and ppv. It will be much easier than streaming it from my computer to TV. In addition it seems that you can just get a controller if you really want to play and root it. The only thing I'm stuck on the G box is the people saying it does not support 1080? I have to read more into it.

Yeah, I don't think I would need anything else then just XBMC for sports and ppv. It will be much easier than streaming it from my computer to TV. In addition it seems that you can just get a controller if you really want to play and root it. The only thing I'm stuck on the G box is the people saying it does not support 1080? I have to read more into it.
That part is true.. it's only 720p

I couldn't really be upset being that all shows in HD still look clear as hell.. and at the end of the day it is free damb near everything 
ohwell.gif

Last edited:
The device is $99. I get my cable + internet through fios for roughly that a month. I'm doing it all wrong to watch tv, movies and sports.

LoL that's why I was looking at the other joints but there's a trade off .. All of them are around 100 bucks so I might just buy a couple and see what I like best. The Mojo looks good but I haven't read into rooting and installing the XBMC .. I just know I'm coping today.

This XBMC should work on our android phones .. Have you guys tried it yet? I just installed it and I'm on the main menu but it does not let me do anything .. Like I need a remote or something.

^^ Yes. But XBMC isnt for everyone . Steams go down. The quality can suck, the audio can suck. You may have spanish announcers on cert sports streams. You may have to select 19 streams, before you get to one that works. But for the price, to some its worth the compromises.

And yes, XBMC works on our phones as well. I have it installed on mine(gotham nightly beta) If you have miracast, you can stream the content wireless without having to buy another device. the PTV3000 is ok for this purpose.

Last edited:
I know how the stream goe especially on live TV. I'm not worried about that ... In just want it capable enough I suppose ... Send me that apk ... And the streaming you mean to TV or other devices correct?

This is as far as I get on Frodo .. Is not responsive to gestures.

I know how the stream goe especially on live TV. I'm not worried about that ... In just want it capable enough I suppose ... Send me that apk ... And the streaming you mean to TV or other devices correct?

Streaming from device to TV. Similar to a chromecast, but not pointless like the chromecast. And google a link.

^^ Yes. But XBMC isnt for everyone . Steams go down. The quality can suck, the audio can suck. You may have spanish announcers on cert sports streams. You may have to select 19 streams, before you get to one that works. But for the price, to some its worth the compromises.

And yes, XBMC works on our phones as well. I have it installed on mine(gotham nightly beta) If you have miracast, you can stream the content wireless without having to buy another device. the PTV3000 is ok for this purpose.
Yup.. this of course is only applied to Live TV.

Stuff that has been uploaded a day after,the picture quality/audio are as good as you're gonna get. 

Even if you don't use it for live TV I think it's worth it.. especially if you're someone who pays for things like Netflix and Hulu+

Last edited:
Yup.. this of course is only applied to Live TV.

Stuff that has been uploaded a day after,the picture quality/audio are as good as you're gonna get. 

Even if you don't use it for live TV I think it's worth it.. especially if you're someone who pays for things like Netflix and Hulu+
I never reallyv watch shows while their actually are on, I dvrb them and then Play them to skip commercials.

So I found the Gotham version but still can't get it to work on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom