Watching a WNBA game and....

umm, watch one game of Lebron... then watch 6 seasons of the WNBA.
then consider it again, you'll see it's worth it :lol:

It's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm just saying I think they get underpaid. They are still making the same sacrifices as other athletes with way less the reward.

but I wouldn't consider anyone sitting on an NBA bench, a bum.

then again I'm not a sports fan, dudes call the #2 team in the world, a bunch of losers for losing in game 7 :rofl:

Didn't read none of this just came to post my baby

View media item 509019
It sucks that shes played so bad so far. I've been watching her games.

Throwing up the ROC :smokin

Word I been watching her too, I think it's the team that she's on or she hasn't adjusted. When she goes overseas or next season she'll probably be cool.

Delle Donne been killing and she got the highest vote for the All Star :smokin :pimp:

all these women in the *wnba make 100k+ ... even the ones making 50-70k can bring in another 30-40k overseas..

this is the last group of people you should be feeling sorry for...

Last edited:
I actually sat and watched the first quarter of the NY Liberty vs Chicago somethings to see Delle Donne play. It was brutal
sick.gif

Im pretty sure a 12 year old AAU team could beat every WNBA team fairly easy

:rofl:

umm, watch one game of Lebron... then watch 6 seasons of the WNBA.
then consider it again, you'll see it's worth it
laugh.gif
It's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm just saying I think they get underpaid. They are still making the same sacrifices as other athletes with way less the reward.
they are in the business of entertainment, and they arent very entertaining. If anything they are overpaid considering the revenue they generate. They wouldnt survive without the financial support of the NBA

im pretty sure a half decent JV high school team can beat a WNBA team. 

Last edited:
I'll watch a game every now and then. I don't watch baseball, so it's really the only sport I can watch in the summer. It's not that bad. Obviously they can't compete w/ the men in terms of athleticism, but they are fairly skilled.

They deserve more than some of the bums in the NBA, but there's no Lebrons making millions for the league. 100k for a couple of months to hoop in the summer? And they play overseas as well. Travel the world and play a game that most of us play for free. Not a bad living.

Does anyone else find it strange that women don't support the wnba?

I've never seen a woman wear any sort of their gear. I know most women hoopers that don't even watch it. But they will watch the NBA. I'd think they would tune into the wnba game to try to pick up moves from people with similar athleticism.

I think a WNBA team would generally beat your average high school boys team, emphasis on average. Obviously not talking about the Oak Hills of the world. I've played with a couple of D-1 chicks and they were a hell of a lot better than some of the bum dudes who played varsity in high school (at my colleges rec). Your average high school boys team may have like 1 or 2 guys who actually dunk in-game, and I think the wnba players would be more skillful.

Last edited:
Here's some info from 2012:

The average salary of a WNBA player for the 2012 season was $72,000 while the league minimum rests just above $35,000 for rookies. Players with three or more years experience earn at least $51,000.

The salary cap for a WNBA team sits at $878,000.

Among the few bonuses in the league, a player on the WNBA Champion teams gets a bonus of $10,500. The MVP of the league gets an extra $15,000. The Rookie of the Year is awarded $5,000 and a player who makes the All-Star team sees $2,500.

Agent Bruce Levy said players can add to the average $72,000 WNBA salary by playing overseas, where a typical seven-month contract starts at $40,000. Marquee players can make as much $600,000, including incentives, for one season. With virtually no salary restrictions, two or three players can reach $1 million, including bonuses, Levy said. Lauren Jackson, Candace Parker and Diana Taurasi will make $1 million playing overseas this season.

How are they being underpaid when their salaries are based on what they bring in?

Who cares about sacrifices? It's a business, not a charity.

Their CBA expires after this season

Each WNBA team in the 2013 season must spend at least $869,000 on players salaries, and cannot spend more than $913,000.

WNBA salaries for the 2013 season

• Maximum amount a WNBA player can earn in salary in 2013

The maximum salary a player can earn in the WNBA for the 2013 season is $107,000. In order to earn the maximum salary, a player must have six or more years of service in the WNBA.

For players with less than six years of service, the most they can be paid in salary for the 2013 season is $105,000.

• Minimum amount a WNBA player must be paid in the 2013 season

In addition to maximum salary amounts, the CBA also spells out the minimum salaries that WNBA players must be paid in 2013. Players with less than three years of service must be paid at least $37,950. Players with three or more years of service must be paid at least $55,000 for the 2013 season.

The WNBA pays players based upon where they were taken in the WNBA Draft for their first four years in the league. The first four players taken in the WNBA Draft must be paid a minimum of $48,470 as rookies, $49,440 in their second year, $54,384 in their third year, and $61,800 in their fourth year.

Players drafted with the 5th through eighth picks in the first round must be paid $44,835 as rookies, $45,732 in the second year, $50,305 in the third years, and $57,165 in the fourth year.

Players taken in the rest of the first round must be paid $39,998 as rookies, $40,788 in the second year, $44,867 in the third year, and $50,985 in the fourth year.

Players taken in the second and third rounds, along with free agents who were not drafted but make a WNBA team, are paid a sliding scale lower than those listed above for first round picks.

• Bonus money WNBA players can earn in 2013

In addition to their salaries, WNBA players can earn bonus money based upon how their teams do in the playoffs, and for individual achievements like winning awards, making the all-star game, and being named to the all-WNBA teams. Here's a quick breakdown of the bonus money WNBA players can earn in 2013.

• Bonus money for winning the WNBA championship

Players on the team that wins the WNBA championship will each receive a bonus of $10,500 in 2013.

• Bonus money for making the playoffs

Players from WNBA teams that make the playoffs but lose in the first round will each earn a bonus of $1,050. Players from teams that win in the first round but lose in the semifinals will each earn $2,625. Players from the team that loses in the WNBA Finals will each receive $5,250.

The playoff and championship bonus money is not cumulative, players are only paid the bonuses listed for each round they advance to.

• Bonus money for winning awards

The WNBA player who wins the MVP award earns a bonus of $15,000, the highest bonus any WNBA player can earn. Players who win the Defensive Player of the Year, Sportsmanship, Rookie of the Year, and Most Improved Player of the Year awards each get a bonus of $5,000.

Players can earn multiple bonuses for awards, like the MVP could also be the Defensive Player of the Year. In that case, the player would earn bonuses of $20,000 ($15,000 for the MVP and $5,000 for Defensive Player of the Year). In the event that there are co-winners of an award, both co-winners will be paid the full amount listed for each award.

• Bonus money for playing in the all-star game

Each player in the WNBA All-Star game receives a bonus of $2,500.

• Bonus money for being voted to all-WNBA teams

Players at the end of the season who are voted to the all-WNBA First Team each receive a bonus of $10,000. Players voted onto the all-WNBA Second Team each receive a bonus of $5,000.

I like gambling on it

European fans are wayyyyyy more open minded compared to American fans

All kind of sports get way more love over there

with the lack of popularity, endorsements, buying merchandise, & people coming out to games, i can't really say im surprised.

:rofl: at all the quotables that come up in WNBA threads though :lol:

Last edited:
Bingo.

WNBA will never get popular. Ever

That's a little drastic. Women's soccer is pretty popular. I actually enjoy watching that over men's soccer. I mean I think a couple players can change the wnba, the nba wasn't always what it is now.

Bingo.

WNBA will never get popular. Ever
That's a little drastic. Women's soccer is pretty popular. I actually enjoy watching that over men's soccer. I mean I think a couple players can change the wnba, the nba wasn't always what it is now.
Idk about women's soccer being pretty popular. By what measure? It's nowhere near as popular as the WNBA.  The WNBA might not ever be popular within the mainstream sports landscape but that doesn't mean it can't develop into a successful professional league at some point.  The league is growing, if the financial situation isn't at least improving then the people running the league are doing something wrong or they're simply there to collect a check from Stern. If in twenty years the majority of the teams have positive cash flow and the league has seen healthy expansion I'd call that a success. 

Last edited:
Underpaid? They basically play in front of friends and family, maybe even a school field trip.... That's it. The Harlem globetrotters bring in more fans. The and1 tour brings in more fans. These women should be happy the WNBA is still going in thanks to the NBA paying its bills

I mean they only play 34 games. However the league minimum...there's people with average jobs who make more than them.. It's not like the games are dead. I'm watching one now and there's people in the crowd. There's less people at Brooklyn net games during the regular season.

Man, shut the hell up.

Back
Top Bottom