What are some of your favorite words? Vol. English is not a crime!

microcosm- a community, place, or situation regarded as encapsulating in miniature the characteristic qualities or features of something much larger.
ineffable- too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words
obfuscate- render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible
imbue- inspire or permeate with a feeling or quality
ethereal- extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world
cathartic- providing psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions; causing catharsis
ephemeral- lasting for a very short time
eponymous- giving their name to something: e.g. Prince Hamlet is the eponymous protagonist of Shakespeare's Hamlet .(just for its functionality and brevity)

schadenfraude- pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.
i love foreign words/ expressions too:

portugese- saudade- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade

french- l'espirit de l'escalier or as george costanze would put it, "the jerk store called"

Peloton

the main body of riders in a bicycle race

rlj6ol.jpg

Peloton

Originally Posted by kbweezy24

rendezvous - the spelling gets me everytime

off topic, but everytime i use the word "that" back to back, it sounds wrong, but works

Both of these things. "ren-dez-vowse"
laugh.gif

So glad I made this thread...too damn many to quote (forgot how much I liked "swindle"...just sounds shady as $!*%
laugh.gif
) but it good to see y'all enjoy whipping out your dictionary every so often too...

Originally Posted by three6mafia

cuss words

Oh, without a !@@$%$* doubt. (Every time I see those censored I hear a scrambled BET movie profanity..."huff that zigen...he a iff-aff zigen anyway...")

Originally Posted by FuzzyRobot

Is this secrety another book? You writing your own dictionary now?

laugh.gif
Not a bad idea...I do already do a thing called "High Definitons" where I make up words, maybe I could gather em all up...worked with "FfYL"...

calqued (from the verb to calque from the noun a calque)

it's my favorite word!

*****rdly

seems to always push peoples buttons. even when used correctly. its pretty much off limits.

other favorites:
sincerely (always ruin its spelling)
ragamuffin
conglomerate
predisposition (just sounds smart)

Back
Top Bottom