what credit card company should I apply, to start my credit?

Im 20y/o just got a pretty good job and I'm looking to finally start up my credit. I have a checking account with BoA, should I go with a card from BoA or somewhere else...? 

Im 20y/o just got a pretty good job and I'm looking to finally start up my credit. I have a checking account with BoA, should I go with a card from BoA or somewhere else...? 

Get a secured credit card with BOA. Put down 500. Spend money on stuff you know you can afford to pay back asap. Hold for 5 months, check your credit score. Apply for a Discover Card. Only use it on items you know you can pay back by the end of the month(200 dollar shoe with your card, pay it before payment date with money from your check)

Get a secured credit card with BOA. Put down 500. Spend money on stuff you know you can afford to pay back asap. Hold for 5 months, check your credit score. Apply for a Discover Card. Only use it on items you know you can pay back by the end of the month(200 dollar shoe with your card, pay it before payment date with money from your check)

Originally Posted by Badham

not sure if serious, u hit me with alot there

the thing is, a lot of credit card companies will not grant you a card if you do not have any credit. i'm not sure if you've accrued some credit paying for a phone bill or something, but if you haven't it's going to be kind of hard to get the ball rolling. if bank of america grants you a card, go for it.

keep in mind: many applications for credit (even if you get denied) is a detriment to your credit rating. also when you get the card, try to spend a very little percentage of your credit limit. i'm talking under 15%. for example, if your credit limit is 500, you should not be charging more than $75 worth of merchandise monthly.

personally, i love american express blue, so ultimately aim for amex.

Originally Posted by StonedFace

I'll simplify it for you

*Go to BOA, ask for a secured credit card.

*They will ask how much do you wanna put on it

*say 500(or if want do 250)

*Get the card

*Buy things such as food, deoderate, video games, shoes, however, keep in mind that you wanna make at least half of the payment each month(so if you put down 500, pay 250 by the end of the month)

*Maintain this for 5 months.

*Afterwards, check your credit score.

*Apply with Discover

*If your credit is good and your NEVER LATE ON PAYMENTS and you make a good salary, they will grant you a card(prob 1500 spending limit)

*Use that card for EVERYTHING, but have half of the amount you spend ready at ALL TIMES.

Originally Posted by StonedFace

I'll simplify it for you

*Go to BOA, ask for a secured credit card.

*They will ask how much do you wanna put on it

*say 500(or if want do 250)

*Get the card

*Buy things such as food, deoderate, video games, shoes, however, keep in mind that you wanna make at least half of the payment each month(so if you put down 500, pay 250 by the end of the month)

*Maintain this for 5 months.

*Afterwards, check your credit score.

*Apply with Discover

*If your credit is good and your NEVER LATE ON PAYMENTS and you make a good salary, they will grant you a card(prob 1500 spending limit)

*Use that card for EVERYTHING, but have half of the amount you spend ready at ALL TIMES.

the thing is, a lot of credit card companies will not grant you a card if you do not have any credit. i'm not sure if you've accrued some credit paying for a phone bill or something, but if you haven't it's going to be kind of hard to get the ball rolling. if bank of america grants you a card, go for it.

keep in mind: many applications for credit (even if you get denied) is a detriment to your credit rating. also when you get the card, try to spend a very little percentage of your credit limit. i'm talking under 15%. for example, if your credit limit is 500, you should not be charging more than $75 worth of merchandise monthly.

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

Hence why I told him to start with a BOA secured credit card. He must build credit first with his bank. Other companies won't give him a card until he has some credit and it starts with his bank.

Hence why I told him to start with a BOA secured credit card. He must build credit first with his bank. Other companies won't give him a card until he has some credit and it starts with his bank.

what is your point

what is your point

what is your point
he's right tho...

what is your point
he's right tho...

yeah but why reiterate what i said if i didn't refute his point

Because I added more detail to your point. We are both on the same page..

Back
Top Bottom