What do you think of BEGGARS/HOMELESS PEEPS asking for change?

Being a small town kid, Minneapolis surprised me in a lot of ways when I moved up here this summer. One way is the sheer amounts of homeless people eitherconfronting you or holding signs about giving change, just like any other big city. Dudes are constantly posted up by highway exits, bus stops, street corners,etc. with signs that all say some combination of "hungry" "homeless" "anything helps" and "god bless". This is nothingfor a city kid, but my hometown/college town is only 27,000 people and I'm not sure we even have any homeless peeps.

The worst was when I was walking to Subway for lunch. This dude wearing a nice Rocawear shirt, clean jeans and a line-up came up to me and said

"Hey, hey, excuse me. You know what Catholic Charities is?" (soup kitchen basically)
"... yeah"
"OK well then let me cut to the point. I slept in the park last night and got arrested. I have nowhere to sleep, work or eat. If you can spare anything,anything I would appreciate it."
"umm all I have is plastic. Sorry."

Then I walk out of Subway and I see the same guy walking out of a convenience store with two full bags of food, laughing with a friend.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

The only time I've actually given to a homeless dude was when I was at a red light, probably 10 feet from some REAL broken-down looking dude. He lookedlike he hadn't bathed for weeks so I gave him an apple I had sitting on my front seat. I figure that food is probably the best thing to give.

Part of me says f' em... I work for mine, and I know plenty of people that have worked their way from nothing to something. At the same time, I'm aloving person and I tend to have mercy on the unfortunate.

NT, WHAT DO YOU THINK? DO YOU GIVE? DO YOU IGNORE? discuss

No what is worse is those kids walking around with the latest jordans on begging me for money for their "AAU" squad. And these kids aren't evenin any type of uniform or anything. Looked like they just ripped a fundraiser flyer off their church bulletin board.

If you wanna give then give, if not then just say so and keep it moving.

I've read a ton of ****@%$$% responses on NT regarding this topic through my years here, it's quite sad.

I personally don't care what the person does. If I got some spare singles or change on me, i'll give it to em. Even bought em a tall can or a bottle ofTbird from time to time. If I can, I will.

I give the old and disabled/handicapped ones change, but I never give the young ones $##@.

why cant they really just clean up and get a job though?....dont they at least have any other relatives that care for them and can at least help them gettingback in track.....some mexicans try getting their gwap by selling some oranges and hanging around home depot looking to hop in a van and go work...i wouldnever beg though IMO...

Originally Posted by Drips510

why cant they really just clean up and get a job though?....dont they at least have any other relatives that care for them and can at least help them getting back in track.....some mexicans try getting their gwap by selling some oranges and hanging around home depot looking to hop in a van and go work...i would never beg though IMO...
man its not that easy to get a job, especially nowadays. people with degrees can't even find jobs.
And why work for money, when you can beg for it
grin.gif

yea i give them money if they look like normal homeless people but if they look craked out i reach in my pocket and i pull out lint
laugh.gif
...all jokes aside yeai give em money......yo but theres this one dude who chills by wallgreens and i swear he aint blind i swear lol how he know im passing by and he starts withhis speech iono i feel like busting him out but ima leave it to the blind community

Miami and Minneapolis had the most homeless people I've ever seen before.

I'll give them food, never give them money. I'm not providing them money for drugs and drinks.

i dont look them in the eye...... yeah they are less fortunate than everyone else, but you dont know their history. dont make yourself feel like u need to givethem anything. most likely they will spend the money on alcohol or cigarettes because they can find food anywhere...

i never give them change/money. i just give them bottled water or snacks that i have, thats all they need.

this is what canned food drives are for or charities

I never do it. There are too many free-loaders who do this as a living. On my way to school, I'm almost guarenteed to see this one dude standing on thecorner when I get off the exit ramp. Why doesnt he go wash some cars or something for some change? There's no excuse.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I never do it. There are too many free-loaders who do this as a living. On my way to school, I'm almost guarenteed to see this one dude standing on the corner when I get off the exit ramp. Why doesnt he go wash some cars or something for some change? There's no excuse.
is his back OD crooked and does he have a cane???
nerd.gif

if i have it i give...i'm not hurtin for money so a few dollars won't kill me...i would have blown it later in the day and not be able to tell you whati spent it on...

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I never do it. There are too many free-loaders who do this as a living. On my way to school, I'm almost guarenteed to see this one dude standing on the corner when I get off the exit ramp. Why doesnt he go wash some cars or something for some change? There's no excuse.
is his back OD crooked and does he have a cane???
nerd.gif

Maaaaaan I saw him the other day! I felt BAAAAAAD! You can see the hump in his back. Looked so painful, but this is another dude. Off the Metropolitan exitgoing 85N. It's like 3 or 4 bums that rotate that $@*$.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

No what is worse is those kids walking around with the latest jordans on begging me for money for their "AAU" squad. And these kids aren't even in any type of uniform or anything. Looked like they just ripped a fundraiser flyer off their church bulletin board.
These kids are all over Westwood. I went to get Subway the other day and ended up giving the kid a buck in exchange for a pack on M&M's. Icross the street and his homie hits me up. I show him the candy and told him I already contributed. Homie came back and was like "You didn'tcontribute to me..." I just kept on walking
smh.gif

i am all for it!! except for this story: last week i was at uptown mall and this dude was asking for $2 to ride the bus, so i gave it to him , kept going, thenan hour later dude asks me for it AGAIN!! and i was like you again? i just gave you $2 and he was like oh yeah my bad and walked off. idiot

Back
Top Bottom