What do you think of BEGGARS/HOMELESS PEEPS asking for change?

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

I do 'em like I do THB.

IGNORE.
laugh.gif

JR5

id rather help out with food.

doubt the money would be spent on that otherwise

around here in winston-salem, guys have started making signs saying "why lie? I need a beer" and people give them money. Around here if you help anyof them all they do is use it for alcohol. #$%$ is just wrong. And they get pissed if you don't give them anything

Although I am an Agnostic and a Deist, I was raised Catholic and the Faith's notions of charity, the innate dignity of all people and the Golden Ruleshape my sense of ethics and what I do when faced with those who are the poorest in our society.

I am very fortunate to be born not in poverty and I am even more fortunate to be born into a family that is wealthy. My claim on a good deal of unearned wealthgives me a lot of options in life and a huge margin for error. I can make mistakes and not be living on the streets, it is a blessing but it is humbling. Givenmy circumstances, I feel obligated to give to those who have not had the same luck.

I also give money because it is painful to see some who is materially poor and also impoverished in his dignity. I do not want to give my money to con artistsand it is not hard to avoid doing so because it is so easy to see who truly is homeless. Con men may be clever and may even be able to replicate the shabbyclothing, crooked teeth and sun worn face but the look of despair and desperation in their eyes cannot be duplicated. I hope that by giving that person moneyhe can get himself some food or over the counter medicine or even if he gets a beer, it alleviates his or her misery, which must be hellish. I am happy tospend a few bucks (or more if the person is old, handicapped, a veteran, a women or with kids) to help to curtail difficulties that comes from not havingadequate food, water, shelter, decent clothing, access to showers, a comfortable bed or basic medicines.

There is also the poverty of dignity and any sense of worth, within the person's own feelings and among the community's views of the person,respectively. When I give money I will usually look that person in the eye, be friendly and if he or she seems to be lonely or in a mood to talk I will if Ihave the time. Buying someone a cold Gatorade and some chips on a hot summer day and talking to the person like a human being and not an animal, can bringlight to this poor soul's dark existence or at the very least reduce the humiliation and sorrow that weights on the eyes of these people, who are ourhumble friends who share our streets and cities.

I wonder how I would want people to treat the homeless, if I were homeless. Applying the RawlsianWeltanschau, World View, or using the Golden Rule, the answer is obvious. I would wantthe homeless to at least be helped by their more fortunate fellow citizens. Not only would I want the homeless to be helped but to be treated with respect andeven a good measure of kindness.

For those reasons, charity, which emphasized as something one should do when someone comes across a poor person; a desire to instill a sense of dignity inpeople, who have been afforded none; to alleviate the pain of deep material deprivations and to be a good person and a good citizen. No man is an island,especially within the context of our own communities. If you are financially able to give charity to the poor, do so.

if i have change i will usually give them some if im feeling nice
but usually i have no sympathy for homeless people,
i feel like they shoulda went to school and got a real education

Originally Posted by ev209

if i have change i will usually give them some if im feeling nice
but usually i have no sympathy for homeless people,
i feel like they shoulda went to school and got a real education

wow
smh.gif

take 94 to the west broadway exit...usually some homeless ppl begging around there and washington

and then...

take 94 to lyndale...once you get down under the bridge before the hennepin/lyndale split...GUARANTEE there will be a homeless person there...ALWAYS!

99% of the time I ignore...But there was this one incident that was quite funny.

Me: *Walks out after asking for a job* (I was wearing a pair of HUF SBs)
Homeless: Spare change? Hey, nice shoes, the tie dye gives it that 90s feel. (
roll.gif
)
Me: *Ignores*
Homeless: Alright, maybe another time, I'll be here tomorrow...Remember to stay in school!

I gave him a dollar the next time I saw him.

A lot of ignorant and flat out ******ed posts in this thread.

If ya'll are this country's future, we're in trouble.

^ who's ignorant in this situation.... EVERYBODY
indifferent.gif

so trusting anything someone says on the street trying to get some money is stupid but if you feel like you trust humanity and on the off chance are tellingthe truth and are deserving your cash then by all means.

stupid as hell to draw some opinion like people are selfish or dont care for those less fortunate because they dont give money to bums.

i pretend i cant hear them over my headphones and keep it moving.

for the foolish ones who give them money, why do you give it to them? how does it help them? you really think you're giving them their daily meals. ifpeople are gonna fake being homeless they need to up their game get a stench and a garbage bag / shopping cart to get $$ from me. if at that.

give a man a fish................. teach a man to fish................

I gave a dude a cheeseburger once and he gave me a look like "How am I to buy liqour with this?!?"
indifferent.gif

Never again
smh.gif
he messed it up for everybody
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

it could be Jesus though....

So what?! If that were the case, I'm sure he would understand that there are plenty of scammers who rip people off by doing this, so people are reluctantto give. And if I go to hell for not giving out my funds, then I'll just be surprised.

Never
My reason is because around my way, there is a 99% chance they just gonna buy drugs/alch with it.
So whats the point.

One time I was lost and a homeless person gave me directions, so I gave her a jamba card with a decent amount of money on it since I had no cash on me (maybe$10 or so). She just hit me with
indifferent.gif
. I was heated, ungrateful%!#$*
mad.gif

Mpls isn't even bad with the homeless
laugh.gif

Although for some reason they are all over Uptown. But they're not your typical bums, it's a bunch of youngster homeless chic drifter types. Somechose the lifestyle, some didn't. They don't really harass anyone for $, some have signs but for the most part they just hang out
laugh.gif
I love my hood

The worst is the bums outside of the clubs here in Miami that claim to "watch over" your car while you're in the club for some change. Me and myfriends always eff with them and keep it moving.

Also, when I wanna get drunk or high, I don't ask anyone for money. So eff em. I work for mine.

i'll try to give them some bottle water or food if i have anything. I will never give money, because i know they just go out and buy some beer.

I ignore them a lot of times now. Some have the opportunity to turn around their lives, but they're too lazy. You can't really tell their situations,by looking at them though.

I always give. In the amount of time it takes me to judge their cause I can be helping. I'd rather be wrong 20 times and help one than be right 20 timesand wrong once.

Back
Top Bottom