What ever happened to Gameshark?

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by presequel

yeah, wish there was a way to enter codes for some games. and if we're talking about achievements in the way, why not just enable codes/disable achievements when its on?

theres gotta be another reason.

Because that's more work for me and I'm not going to do it when we're already on a strict deadline that we're working 12 hours a day to meet.

If it comes down to you getting cheat codes or me getting more paper from meeting a milestone on time I'm taking the paper and not giving a %%*% about the consumer.

so you work for a game developer? obviously you do what you're told. you dont pick what to develop or what bugs to fix, you're given a priority list from someone above you. but we're not talking about that. 
how did it work in the past? cuz milestones have always been there and they found a way to make their games work with companies like gameshark/action replay. 

yeah, wish there was a way to enter codes for some games. and if we're talking about achievements in the way, why not just enable codes/disable achievements when its on?

Because that's more work for me and I'm not going to do it when we're already on a strict deadline that we're working 12 hours a day to meet.

If it comes down to you getting cheat codes or me getting more paper from meeting a milestone on time I'm taking the paper and not giving a %%*% about the consumer.

so you work for a game developer? obviously you do what you're told. you dont pick what to develop or what bugs to fix, you're given a priority list from someone above you. but we're not talking about that. 
how did it work in the past? cuz milestones have always been there and they found a way to make their games work with companies like gameshark/action replay. 

The studio system today is vastly different than it was in the PS1 n64 days, the amount of people working on a single game can be 10x what it was in lets say 1998. There's many different ways various flags are accessed in the game. A lot of them are leftover from debugging. What you would do back in the day is basically leave the debug code accessible and have player input (a cheat code) turn the flags on and off. Sometimes the debug interface was left in the game because someone decided to leave it in or was too lazy to clean it up before the title shipped. A shark would basically force an interrupt subroutine to stop the written code and inject it's own modifications using the systems RAM. Now many developers began to get pissed off at sharks or pro action replays messing with their code. I mean do you want someone making it plain and simple to %++% with your work and make you look like a fool?

So what comes next in the timeline is online gaming. You have a PSN ID a 360 gamertag. All linked to your specific Xbox/PS3 with a specific serial and MAC address. Instead of letting shark and action replay do their thing, M$ and Sony basically banned all 3'd party applications to be running when you hop on the PSN or live. Thus banning people who are hardware and software modding their consoles. Thus ending the economic commercial viability of the Gameshark or Action Replay.

So that's the jist of where gameshark and action replay went. To answer your question about cheat codes. There's still codes for games but with the invention of achievements, you have to turn them off to give access to most cheats. Writing code to turn off achievements is a pain in the !@%. This is because the process of implementing achievements isn't governed by specific studios it's governed by M$ and Sony themselves. There's a whole slew of checklists and requirements and mandates about how that stuff has to work for any game. When you start messing with that and then it has to trickle down to testers and new builds and new checklists to make sure that achievements don't get screwed up. That last thing you would ever ever want to do is %++% up and have a game ship with the ability to get achievements without actually completing them (what would be the point of achievements then?).

So the bottom line is it's just way more difficult to implement cheats without screwing up the template the studios been working on. I'm not saying it's not done or can't be done but after hot coffee, leaving any kind of unapproved non necessary code such as debug, extra scenarios, easter eggs, modifier flags, etc. is grounds for getting fired. So everyone now just really chooses not to mess with that sort of thing until you've got the game polished and good to go. But you know, there's always more work to be done up until the game goes gold. I'm going to use that time to squeeze a few more FPS out of the engine or better memory mapping for faster loading so you guys get the best game possible rather than unlimited health
laugh.gif

The studio system today is vastly different than it was in the PS1 n64 days, the amount of people working on a single game can be 10x what it was in lets say 1998. There's many different ways various flags are accessed in the game. A lot of them are leftover from debugging. What you would do back in the day is basically leave the debug code accessible and have player input (a cheat code) turn the flags on and off. Sometimes the debug interface was left in the game because someone decided to leave it in or was too lazy to clean it up before the title shipped. A shark would basically force an interrupt subroutine to stop the written code and inject it's own modifications using the systems RAM. Now many developers began to get pissed off at sharks or pro action replays messing with their code. I mean do you want someone making it plain and simple to %++% with your work and make you look like a fool?

So what comes next in the timeline is online gaming. You have a PSN ID a 360 gamertag. All linked to your specific Xbox/PS3 with a specific serial and MAC address. Instead of letting shark and action replay do their thing, M$ and Sony basically banned all 3'd party applications to be running when you hop on the PSN or live. Thus banning people who are hardware and software modding their consoles. Thus ending the economic commercial viability of the Gameshark or Action Replay.

So that's the jist of where gameshark and action replay went. To answer your question about cheat codes. There's still codes for games but with the invention of achievements, you have to turn them off to give access to most cheats. Writing code to turn off achievements is a pain in the !@%. This is because the process of implementing achievements isn't governed by specific studios it's governed by M$ and Sony themselves. There's a whole slew of checklists and requirements and mandates about how that stuff has to work for any game. When you start messing with that and then it has to trickle down to testers and new builds and new checklists to make sure that achievements don't get screwed up. That last thing you would ever ever want to do is %++% up and have a game ship with the ability to get achievements without actually completing them (what would be the point of achievements then?).

So the bottom line is it's just way more difficult to implement cheats without screwing up the template the studios been working on. I'm not saying it's not done or can't be done but after hot coffee, leaving any kind of unapproved non necessary code such as debug, extra scenarios, easter eggs, modifier flags, etc. is grounds for getting fired. So everyone now just really chooses not to mess with that sort of thing until you've got the game polished and good to go. But you know, there's always more work to be done up until the game goes gold. I'm going to use that time to squeeze a few more FPS out of the engine or better memory mapping for faster loading so you guys get the best game possible rather than unlimited health
laugh.gif

Damn thats crazy
eek.gif
 I  never knew that.
But man gameshark honestly made the game more fun (for me after i beat the game once).

Here's an example of a debug room if people don't know Ex: FFVIII

Originally Posted by DJMano34

Originally Posted by Simply Certified

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

I only had one for the Gameboy... Pokemon Rare candy and master ball cheats FTW

i used to charge dudes a dollar for 10 rare candies and  50 cents for 10 master balls
laugh.gif

pokemon was SERIOUS business back in 99' 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I like your Hustle!

but i never had one. only played gameboy for Pokemon

and I just used the missingno cheat...

This.

Back
Top Bottom